[net.sf-lovers] How to fix bad sci-fi

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/20/85)

Now this is an interesting problem.  Several shows have come out with
reasonable acting, drama, comedy, effects, production and REALLY STUPID
SCRIPTS.  What I would like to know is how to communicate to producers
like Glen Larson et al how to fix their series so they become classics
instead of turkeys.

Here are some ideas

V:  This is one of the easiest to fix.  When I watched the original
2 part mini-series, I thought, "Wow, this is great!"  Then suddenly,
in the second episode, they turned out to be lizards in human suits
coming to eat us and steal our water.

To me, the series would have been greatly improved if they had been
humans (cousins of us, as in Chariots of the Gods) come here to take
us as slaves.  There's only one commodity a highly advanced race would
travel light-years to take by force, and that's slaves.  It certainly
isn't water.

Also lose the girl "Elizabeth."

Galactica:
  Harder to fix, but vaguely reminiscint of the Saberhagen Berserker
stories.  Remember, at the start the Cylons were robots built by
a living race who turned on their masters and then went out to
subjugate and destroy life.   A good premise as any Berserker fan will
know.   In these stories, man is the only race agressive enough to
defeat the unliving enemy.   So in Galactica, you could have had
a defeated society tricked by the cylons on a trek through the galaxy
for the only other known advanced civilization - a future Earth.

They would probably know where Earth is, but it might be a dozen years
away at superlight velocity, so there has been no commerce and little
communication.

Change the fleet into something more reasonable, include some full
sized colonizing ships that escaped the war, and you could get a
much better setting.

Space 1999:
  Hardest of all to fix, because you just can't by a flying moon,
except perhaps with spindizzies, and they wouldn't be that out of
control.   The fact remains that if you are going to have an
interstellar adventure show, you have just got to have FTL drives.

Starlost:
  The premise was fine, the execution was terrible on this one.
There have been lots of good "lost ark in space" novels, so they
have no excuses.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

les@inuxm.UUCP (Leslie Bomar) (06/27/85)

> Space 1999:
>   Hardest of all to fix, because you just can't by a flying moon,
> except perhaps with spindizzies, and they wouldn't be that out of
> control.   The fact remains that if you are going to have an
> interstellar adventure show, you have just got to have FTL drives.
>
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

I have a tendancy to disagree with this particular comment in that I read a
very  good book a while back, that involved a species of higher technological
capabilities that were running from an explosion in the galactic core and,
thier fleet was primarily made up of their own planets.  They also took the
earth with them( I don't want to give too many details in case you haven't
read the book).  Also if your are familiar with "known space" check back and
see why and how the puppeteers left our galaxy.

Your other comments were very well done.

Write e-mail if you want the title to the book mentioned above as I will
have to look it up.  References to "known space" can be given but those
too I will have to look up.

				Les Bomar
				!inhp4!inuxc!inuxm!les

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468) (06/28/85)

In article <294@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

>V:  This is one of the easiest to fix.  When I watched the original
>2 part mini-series, I thought, "Wow, this is great!"  Then suddenly,
>in the second episode, they turned out to be lizards in human suits
>coming to eat us and steal our water.

		This may be the easiest to fix but basicly V is boring.
	An alien race out to conquer the Earth has been kicked around for
	years. It is proof of how difficult it is to produce an original
	tv sci-fi program nowadays. Even Galactica was interesting at times
	(no ,I have not lost my senses) and 1999 was rarely boring.
		What on Earth (or Moon) is a 'spindizzie'?

		And now for something completely different..BLAKE'S SEVEN.
	I have been told that this hasn't been shown in the U.S. yet but the
	networks should come to their senses soon. It was great, some episodes
	were straight S.T. rip offs but otherwise the show was superb. The
	plots were ingenious with lots of twists but you would have to see it
	to understand. The last series (as usual) wasn't as good.
		I think this deserves some discussion ,at least over here.

					Andy T.

	( AND SHE GOT IT..YOUR SYMPATHY..) AVON from SAND.

>except perhaps with spindizzies, and they wouldn't be that out of

bstempleton@watmath.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/28/85)

I still say you can't have good *interstellar* adventure without FTL.
Sure you can fly planets and ark ships on long missions, but that's
really just one society, and there is not interstellar commerce or
meeting.

I won't go so far as to say it's all impossible, but about the only
way you could pull it off would be with ships that use artificial
gravity to pull 1000 gs, and have no concern about the rest of society
since it all vanishes behind them.   Better to use FTL.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ont. (519) 884-7473