[net.micro.atari16] Pascal for ST's

"Michael_Krause.ROCH"@XEROX.COM (09/26/86)

I am interested in learning about the availability and performance of
(cheap & powerful??) Pascals, preferrably Borlands Turbo, for ST's.  Has
anybody got any good suggestions?  I know, C is the way to go but I like
the more or less TOTAL programing environment that Borland has glued
together in their packages.

Thanks,

Mike

fouts@AMES-NAS.ARPA (09/26/86)

     Borland is rumored to be doing a Turbo port to the ST, but no one
seems to know when (:-)

     Metacomco (The Lattice C people) have a Pascal, for around $150,
but I haven't used it.

     OSS has Personal Pascal for around $70. It is a reasonable
compiler with a mostly complete ISO implementation, and full access to
ST hardware and software features.  I use it a lot on my 1040, and am
reasonably happy with it.  There is a relitively good manual which
explains the GEM library which is provided, although it is short on
examples.  OSS also maintains a buletin board with examples and
tutorials.

     I don't know of any other Pascals off hand.

----------

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (09/27/86)

In article <8609261657.AA22038@ames-nas.ARPA> fouts@AMES-NAS.ARPA writes:

>     Metacomco (The Lattice C people) have a Pascal, for around $150,
>but I haven't used it.

Actually, the list price is $99.95. (and, of course, you can get it for
cheaper from a mail order house...) It was the first high level language
that I got for the ST, and I quite like it. 32 bit integers, full
AES/VDI interface, etc. It comes with a decent full screen editor, and
a decent programming shell called MENU+. The only problem that I have
with the PASCAL is that it sticks a little *too* closely to the ANSI
standard...it doesn't allow for random access files. However, I also
have a copy of the Metecompco Assembler...so I remedied that problem.

Do I still use the PASCAL? Occassionally...but since I got Lattice
C, I use that for most of my work...

...ok...ok...so I like to stay with one company...;-)

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	usenet: {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,topaz,decvax}!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo
	ARPA:   demillo@unix.macc.wisc.edu    (now isn't that easier?)

	"I am not so sure
	 what you want me for!			'War Games'
	 Either your machine is a 		   - Crosby, Stills and Nash
	 fool, or me..."