[net.micro.atari16] TeX on the ST?

KJBSF@SLACVM.BITNET (09/19/86)

Date: 19 September 86 11:12-PST
From: KJBSF@SLACVM
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE
Subject: TeX on the ST?

Date: 19 September 1986, 11:10:53 PST
From: Kevin J. Burnett          x3330                <KJBSF@SLACVM>
To:   <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD>

I'd be interested in knowing if there is a version of TeX available for the ST
yet, and if there isn't, what kind of demand there would be for it..

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (09/20/86)

There certainly should be a LOT of demand for it.  You ought to bring that to
the attention of Addison-Wesley Publishing, which I believe is the marketing
agent for it.  They are located in Reading, MA and their phone number is
(617) 944-3700.  Point out the cost of the 520ST and how many have been sold
so far.  (Neil???)  I think it is well over a quarter million units.  Many of
them to students and computer scientists interested in publishing technical
papers.

The only point of contact I know at A-W is Keith Wollman, who is at another
office, (617) 246-5100.  He is an "Acquisition Editor" for undergraduate
computer science texts.  He may well know Knuth and be interested in the TeX
product.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

P.S. - If YOU are interested in porting TeX to the ST, A-W probably would
supply the ST!

braner@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (braner) (09/22/86)

[]

To put my vote in (for the silent group that would say so too):
I need technical/mathematical word processing on my ST!!!
TEX would be first choice.  It already exists on IBM micros.
Please someone: port it!

- Moshe Braner

cgoudeseune@watnot.UUCP (center of gravity) (09/28/86)

[this line left intentionally non-blank]

Yes! Imagine TEX on the ST with the rumoured $1K laser printer...
Whoever ports it had better ensure that it works with that!

Camille Goudeseune.