[net.micro.atari16] Uniterm/Terminal lockup

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (09/24/86)

Do not despair! The new version of UniTerm will be posted to the whole net
in a few days (it even survives VTTEST quite well now).

Robert Royar writes in one of his postings:
> ...I have been experiencing problems with my terminal locking up on one
> of these VAXES....

Does anybody have an idea why this happens? It is not the terminal program
in my opinion, but the MfP or the bios getting hanged up, is there any fix?
ST-Talk probaly installs it's own interrupt handler.

                       Simon Poole
                       K538915.CZHRZU1A.BITNET

bammi@case.CSNET ("Jwahar R. Bammi") (09/30/86)

This is a known problem. It was discussed a while ago, and i seem to
recall that thre was no general agreement on what should be done. I know
that ST-Talk installs its own interrupt routine (thats how it avoids
the garbage characters that the Mfp insists on spitting  out whenever
you do a Rsconf(), even after explicitly disabling the transmitter
in the Tsr(bit 0). The way i worked around this problem in xmdm, was to install
a large (32k ) buffer of my own using Iorec(). Since then the problem has
never re-appeared. I use xmdm at full 9600 baud almost all of the time.
Hope that helps.
bammi
PS: if you know how to stop the MFP from spitting those (3) characters, i would
lve to know. Currently, in xmdm, i send three ^H's following a rsconf to
get rid of them. Also, with the large rs232 buffer in place, i put flow control
completely off, and have never lost a character at 9600 baud.