[net.micro.atari16] Multi-tasking

ehj@mordor.ARPA (Eric H Jensen) (09/29/86)

In article <791@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul
Higginbottom) writes:
>I couldn't resist replying to this one.  The ST computers are GREAT
>machines but they need a multi-tasking O/S SOOOOO badly.  The ...

This reminded me of an article that was posted some time ago by Bruce
Holloway from Digital Reaserch:

|>Date: 20 Feb 86 17:17:36 GMT
|>In article <409@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
|>>
|>>VDI and AES are re-entrant right?  What about BIOS and XBIOS?
|>
|>VDI and AES are reentrant, wrong. We at DRI are currently rewriting both
|>to be reentrant and multi-tasking; whether or not Atari picks this up
|>is up to them. Look for a Multi-tasking GEM sometime this year. But bug
|>Atari to make sure they buy it from us!

Is Atari going to purchase and release this??

--
eric h. jensen        (S1 Project @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
Phone: (415) 423-0229 USMail: LLNL, P.O. Box 5503, L-276, Livermore, Ca., 94550

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (09/30/86)

In article <15693@mordor.ARPA> ehj@mordor.UUCP (Eric H Jensen) writes:
>In article <791@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul
>Higginbottom) writes:
>>... The ST computers are GREAT
>>machines but they need a multi-tasking O/S SOOOOO badly.

Beckmeyer has just started shipping MT-CSHELL for the ST which is
a MULTI-USER and multi-tasking OS that has a UNIX like flavor. It
sits on-top of the TOS file structure and so does not have a 'chown'
and other utilities but it feels a lot like Berkeley UNIX otherwise.
It can run one 'gem' program on the regular screen but other TOS
programs can be run from the serial-port user and the console user.
--
voice= 415 823-2441
uucp={ihnp4,dual,qantel}!ptsfa!jmc

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (09/30/86)

In article <15693@mordor.ARPA>, ehj@mordor.UUCP writes:

> In article <791@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul
> Higginbottom) writes:
> >I couldn't resist replying to this one.  The ST computers are GREAT
> >machines but they need a multi-tasking O/S SOOOOO badly.  The ...
>
> This reminded me of an article that was posted some time ago by Bruce
> Holloway from Digital Reaserch:
>
> |>Date: 20 Feb 86 17:17:36 GMT

> |>VDI and AES are reentrant, wrong. We at DRI are currently rewriting both
> |>to be reentrant and multi-tasking; whether or not Atari picks this up
> |>is up to them. Look for a Multi-tasking GEM sometime this year. But bug
> |>Atari to make sure they buy it from us!
>
> Is Atari going to purchase and release this??
>
> --
> eric h. jensen        (S1 Project @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
> Phone: (415) 423-0229 USMail: LLNL, P.O. Box 5503, L-276, Livermore, Ca., 94550
> ARPA:  ehj@angband    UUCP:   ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!angband!ehj

Unfortunately, Bruce then posted a followup article stating that multi-tasking
GEM would not be released this year and he should not have mentioned anything
about it.  Apparently, they are working on it, but have no firm time schedule
for its release.

I hope that Atari will purchase it and release it when it becomes available.
If not, then DRI would be smart to release it themselves, since the market
for it would be HUGE!

Barry Locklear
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Denver, CO
ihnpr!drutx!druhi!lbl
(303) 538-4954

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (10/01/86)

In article <1693@ptsfa.UUCP> jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) writes:
>Beckmeyer has just started shipping MT-CSHELL for the ST which is
>a MULTI-USER and multi-tasking OS that has a UNIX like flavor. It
>sits on-top of the TOS file structure and so does not have a 'chown'
>and other utilities but it feels a lot like Berkeley UNIX otherwise.
>It can run one 'gem' program on the regular screen but other TOS
>programs can be run from the serial-port user and the console user.
>--
>voice= 415 823-2441
>uucp={ihnp4,dual,qantel}!ptsfa!jmc

Sounds very interesting, but how does it allow you to run multiple
processes from the ST's on console/screen?  Via UNIX & suffix to
command lines?

Also, on the Amiga, a Command-Line-Interface can be run from the serial
port (i.e., a terminal) with a new aux: device that just became available,
but it suffers from the problem that any program that doesn't use STRAIGHT
stdin/stdout isn't going to work too well.  This includes using
Requesters(Amiga)/Alerts(?)(Atari) or even windowing.

I guess this MT-CSHELL would have the same problem, huh?  I was AMAZED
when I hooked up a terminal to the ATT7300 (UNIX box with blitter/windowing
on the console) to discover that the windowing worked on the plain ol'
vt100, too!  Now that's thoroughness.  T'would be nice if these cheaper
boxes could do that, too.  Must take gobs of code to do both, though.

	Paul.

Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone, and my opinions are my own.