[net.sf-lovers] IASFM

jpa144@cit-vax (06/06/85)

From: jpa144@cit-vax (Jens Peter Alfke)

I've been hearing a lot lately about how good Isaac Asimov's SF Magazine
is.  From time to time I pick up issues of Analog or F&SF; Analog just
doesn't run enough worthwhile stories for it to be worth my while to
read through every issue, and F&SF is almost-but-not-quite worth it.  From
what I hear of Asimov's, it has the highest level of quality of the three.
I really would like to keep up more with what's going on, and I'm on the
verge of getting a subscription.  Does anyone out there have any opinions
on the magazine?

(I assume that I can just find a subscription coupon in an ad in Analog
or F&SF.)

					Thanks
					  --Peter Alfke
jpa144@cit-vax  until 6/14
(then in limbo, then)
alfke.pasa@xerox  7/1 onwards

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/09/85)

In article <2218@topaz.ARPA> jpa144@cit-vax writes:
>I've been hearing a lot lately about how good Isaac Asimov's SF Magazine
>is.  From time to time I pick up issues of Analog or F&SF; Analog just
>doesn't run enough worthwhile stories for it to be worth my while to
>read through every issue, and F&SF is almost-but-not-quite worth it.  From
>what I hear of Asimov's, it has the highest level of quality of the three.

Well, I subscribe to five SF magazines, IASFM being one of them. I
personally wouldn't call IASFM the 'best' magazine on the market, each of
them specializes in a different form or flavor of the SF/Fantasy genre and
is aimed towards a different audience to some degree. Rather than try a
comparative analysis of the magazines (apples to oranges, really) I thought
it might be more useful to start up a debate by describing each of the
magazines emphasis, and note their strong and weak points. Others will
probably disagree, but this seems like a lot more fun than listening to
people tell us how rotten SF is.....

Locus - The newspaper of Science Fiction
    This is a monthly semi-prozine about Science Fiction. If you are
    interested in SF, this is the magazine that will keep you informed. It
    carries information on who is buying, what they are buying, what has
    been sold, what has been published, and all the information you need to
    follow the publishing industry. Interesting columns, such as Richard
    Curtiss' discussions of the agent field, and lots of book reviews. This
    magazine also has the most complete and accurate con list you will
    find. Anyone serious about writing SF needs this magazine at least as
    much as Writers Digest, and it is well worth keeping around. This is
    NOT a media-fest gush at the godlike authors slime, Locus doesn't pull
    punches and DOES keep a close watch on the industry...

Analog - Science Fact, Science Fiction
    The home of Campbellian SF, specializes in literate, well thought out
    SF, tends towards traditional SF. I feel that Analog is finally
    rebounding after a long decline (starting during the latter days of Ben
    Bova acting as editor). Quality of the stories isn't consistent, but
    getting better. Of the four fiction magazines, I'm sorry to say that
    Analog is at the bottom of my preference list, but I'm sure others will
    disagree.

Isaac Asimov's SF Magazine
    If Analog is literate SF, IASFM is fun. Expect changes over the next
    six months now that Shawna McCarthy has moved on and been replaced by
    Gardner Dozois, one of the few people I can think of that might be able
    to keep the flavor of this magazine alive. This is the best market for
    new writers, and because of that there is a freshness to the writing.
    They are also building a solid stable of pro's that keep the quality of
    the writing high. They tend to be light, enjoyable stories, nothing
    that requires a lot of brain thought, but that doesn't mean this stuff
    is schlock. Martin Gardner does a monthly brain game, which almost
    makes up for the fact that Isaac does a monthly editorial. The letter
    column is unabashedly gushing about how great the magazine is, to the
    point of being embarassing. This is number three on my list of
    magazines.

Amazing Science Fiction Stories
    George Scithers, the man who made IASFM what it is, came to Amazing
    when he left that magazine. Amazing is as good as IASFM, but tends to
    cater to a slightly more sophisticated taste. Another good market for
    new writers, fiction tends to be a bit more thoughtful, not
    neccessarily as optimistic, and quite good. Scithers deserves the
    Hugo's he's gotten for best editor. This magazine also has the film
    review column displaced by F&SF when they took on Harlan Ellison as
    media maven, but Baird Searles gives him a run for the money. I prefer
    this to IASFM, but its a tough call.

Fantasy & Science Fiction
    Edited by Ed Ferman, the best description of this magazine that I can
    come up with has to be eclectic fantasy. A very strong Fantasy bent,
    unlike the other magazines, this is almost impossible for a new author
    (although it does happen) and tends to be the genre magazine where the
    heavy authors publish. Harlan Ellison does a great media column (when
    he doesn't miss his deadline) and A.J. Budrys does the best book
    reviews in the industry. This is much more a literary magazine than the
    others, and isn't out to win lots of subscribers, lots of advertising,
    or lots of anything. F&SF is only interested in good fiction, and
    because of this I consider it the strongest magazine in the field, and
    the most consistent as well, because they don't try to follow the
    trends, they just try to publish what they like. Even the Isaac Asimov
    Science column each month doesn't significantly disrupt the quality of
    the magazine. My vote for the best Fiction magazine, as well as the
    most consistent one.

F&SF tends to be more difficult to find than the others on the newstands,
but it is worth tracking down. TSR has been trying to improve distribution
of Amazing, and IASFM and Analog seem to be everywhere. All of them are
worth reading, assuming you like their style of fiction. Which one is
'best' depends upon that as well, and you'll find as many people who
disagree with what I say as you will that agree...

--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

The offices were very nice, and the clients were only raping the land, and
then, of course, there was the money...

res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (06/11/85)

> I've been hearing a lot lately about how good Isaac Asimov's SF Magazine
> is.  From time to time I pick up issues of Analog or F&SF ... From
> what I hear of Asimov's, it has the highest level of quality of the three.
> Does anyone out there have any opinions on the magazine?

I have subscriptions to all three and look forward most to the monthly
arrival of IASFM, then next most eagerly for Analog, and finally for
F&SF.

I feel that IASFM has lots of quite good work in most issues, and has
a variety of stories so that I generally find one story I like very
well, one I don't really care for, and the rest are entertaining to
me if not memorable.

Analog has a number of interesting fact articles as well as fiction,
which I find enjoyable if there is not an overabundance of fact
articles in the issue.  The fiction seems too homogeneous somehow.

I keep debating whether or not to renew my F&SF subscription.  When they
publish SF it is usually quite good -- some new work by one of the big
names -- but I am not into fantasy and horror stories enough to find the
rest of the magazine worth the money.

Incidently, I dropped my subscription to OMNI magazine some time ago
because I got tired of the strong emphasis on the paranormal and on
flying saucers.  I can tolerate fantasy in an SF magazine, but I
cannot tolerate garbage.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

bfeir@watnot.UUCP (bfeir) (06/26/85)

> I really would like to keep up more with what's going on, and I'm on the
> verge of getting a subscription.  Does anyone out there have any opinions
> on the magazine?

Yes, I have an opinion.

IASFM is a fairly good magazine if you like SF stories. Often they have
previews of stories yet to be published, and occasionally they have a story
by the good Doctor himself. There is also a puzzle page written by Martin
Gardiner (of Scientific American fame) and a good set of reviews.
Well worth subscribing to.

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (06/29/85)

IASFM is a very good magazine, and one that seems to give more first-time wr
writers a chance than do the other SF magazines.  Consequently, although you
occasionally get some rather unpolished writing, you also get some new,
fresh ideas.  For example, the "Mallworld" stories got their start in IASFM,
I believe.  Well worth subscribing to...which reminds me, I've been
procrastinating subscribing for some time now! :-)

   --Roy
--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt