[net.micro.atari16] A few questions

moore@NCSC.ARPA (Moore) (09/09/86)

I have a couple of questions that I hope aren't too inane:

1)  Is 1ST WORD free or not?  I know it's currently shipped with the 520ST, but
    can just anyone make themselves a copy of it?  I've seen a place *selling*
    the word processor for (I believe) $34.95.  What gives?

2)  What is the size of the memory area set aside for ACCessories?  Or is there
    a numerical limit on the number of accessories you can have at one time:
    i.e., you can only have 6 desk accessories?  A friend, who has TOS in ROM,
    gets 380-odd K memory when he runs FREERAM with a PD CALCULATOR, CALENDAR,
    PALETTE CHANGE, CONTROL PANEL, and INSTALL PRINTER as accessories.  Is
    *that* much memory required for the accessories?  And, is there any way to
    remove the INSTALL PRINTER to make room for another accessory?  I got rid
    of his VT52 emulator (he has FLASH!), but I couldn't find any ACC file for
    INSTALL PRINTER.

Thanks for any help.

Jim Moore
NCSC
Panama City, FL

fouts@AMES-NAS.ARPA (09/09/86)

1) There are two versions of 1ST WORD, the one that comes with your
   system and one called 1ST WORD PLUS.  Neither of them is free, as
   I understand it.  1ST WORD is bundled with the system, but still
   belongs to Atari.  1ST WORD PLUS is (will be?) available at an
   extra cost.

   Since 1ST WORD comes with, the dealer should have been selling
   1ST WORD PLUS, but. . .(?)

2) The limit is numeric.  You can have no more than six desk accessories
   loaded at once.  A gotcha is that some desk accessory files contain
   more than one desk accessory.  This is true for both emulator.acc,
   which contains 'VT52' and 'configure rs232', and control.acc, which
   contains the 'control panel' and 'install printer'.  To do away with
   'install printer', you also have to do away with 'control panel'.

   There also appears to be no way to unload a loaded desk accessory,
   other than changing the .ACC to something and rebooting.

Marty

----------

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (09/11/86)

Both 1st word and the updated version should be available from your
local ATARI user group From what I understand both are free and
considered to be in the public domain.
--
Marc L. Appelbaum
Arpa: appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU

cms@vlsvax1.UUCP (Chuck M. Sweeney) (09/11/86)

In article <5756@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:
>Both 1st word and the updated version should be available from your
>local ATARI user group From what I understand both are free and
>considered to be in the public domain.
                  ^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

WRONG!

GST owns First Word.  Atari has (had) distribution rights to it and
paid GST for every copy that went out with a system and every copy that
a dealer gave away (every one with a label on it, anyway).  It is *NOT*
in the public domain.  Notice the copyright notices on it and on the
documentation when you print it.  Neil Harris (Atari Marketing type) just
spoke at our user's group meeting last Monday and discussed this issue,
so this information is straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak -
no offense, Neil).  If you have further doubts, call Atari.  Better
yet, call GST, that'll cost more.

Sweeney

Bicer.ES@XEROX.COM (09/12/86)

Has anyone compiled an Atari ST user group listing recently?

	Jack Bicer

Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (09/15/86)

Both the Sept. & Oct. issue's of ANALOG include a user group list,
also a recent issue of ATARI EXPLORER had a list.  You can also send a
SASE to Atari's user group coordinator and they'll send you a list.
--

rns@aicchi.UUCP (Schreiner) (09/19/86)

In article <5793@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

>Both the Sept. & Oct. issue's of ANALOG include a user group list,

The premier issue of "COMPUTE!'s Atari ST" has a user group list on the disk
that comes with it.

--

	Ron Schreiner		 ******		RS Consulting
	...ihnp4!ronsat!rns	******** ___	P.O.  Box 594