[net.micro.atari16] GNU_EMACS and uEMACS

RDROYA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Robert Royar) (09/20/86)

I use uEmacs on the ST for everything (v3.7).  I hacked on version 27
for a year with CP/M-68.  And I use GNU_EMACS on a VAX.  While the
commands are similar between the two programs, GNU is chock-full-o
usefull features that the current micro version just can't handle.
But from looking at some of the GNU sources I would say "if you want
to port it without Mock Lisp, forget it."  Mock Lisp is an integral
part of the package.  In fact many of the mode specific and "extra"
features of the GNU program seem to depend on Mock Lisp.

I suggest if anyone wants GNU on an Atari, she check out the program
carefully and the sources; then compare those to uEmacs and its
sources with the goal of expanding the micro version to include some
of the features.  But just think how fast your disk space will
dissappear with 100K info files lying around, and how will you handle
all those real un*x functions that rely on concurrency?

One idea I had, but which seems beyond me now, is to merge uEmacs with
Xlisp.  With a bit of tweeking, the Xlisp interpreter can be made to
read and evaluate mock-lisp files.  BTW a new version of GNU has been
announced and might be out by the time you read this.

Robert Royar
rdroya01@ulkyvx.bitnet

phr@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (09/21/86)

A few people have mentioned Mock Lisp in GNU Emacs.  I'd like to correct
this: Mock Lisp simple Lisp-like language used in Gosling Emacs which is now
sold by Unipress Corp.  It is called "Mock" Lisp because among other
things it doesn't have a CONS function.  GNU Emacs Lisp is a real Lisp
(including CONS) which some pretty substantial programs have been
written in.  Most of GNU Emacs's editing commands are written in
Lisp.

In my opinion, trying to merge Xlisp with MicroEmacs would result in a
horrible kludge and trying to make it able to run GNU Emacs Lisp functions
would, if it is feasible at all, give you a program as big as GNU Emacs.
It would be simpler to just port GNU Emacs to the ST.  This is not a
completely crazy thing to contemplate doing on a 1 megabyte machine and
is a completely reasonable idea with 2 or 4 megabytes.  (The program text
segment of GNU Emacs is about 600k on a VAX, which includes a lot of sharable
Lisp code as well as a lot of code for things like Unix asynchronous process
control which would have to be flushed on an ST).

Someone (Bradley Mitchell?) has made an extensible MicroEmacs by combining
it with a FORTH system.  That seems like a more sensible approach than
writing a Lisp system if the goal is to keep the program small; however,
writing very complicated macros is probably more difficult.  I've never
used FORTH so I don't know for sure.

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/24/86)

People should realize that some of the nicest features of GNUemacs
are things that would be lost in a port to the ST: compiling from
inside an edit session, shell windows, and filtering regions
through commands are obviously not going to work without
Unix multitasking.  It's still a nice editor, and without those
features it might be small enough to fit...

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (09/26/86)

In article <109200001@ccvaxa> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
>People should realize that some of the nicest features of GNUemacs
>are things that would be lost in a port to the ST: compiling from
>inside an edit session, shell windows, and filtering regions
>through commands are obviously not going to work without
>Unix multitasking.  It's still a nice editor, and without those
>features it might be small enough to fit...
>
>--
>scott preece
>gould/csd - urbana
>uucp:	ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece
>arpa:	preece@gswd-vms

I couldn't resist replying to this one.  The ST computers are GREAT machines
but they need a multi-tasking O/S SOOOOO badly.  The features mentioned
above would port fine to the Amiga.  My uEmacs on the Amiga can spawn off
shells, execute a make or a cc while I'm still editing, etc.  That saves
me TONS of time (forget it if you're using floppies - i.e., doing mulitple
floppy operations, but with a hard disk... it's usable).

The trouble is... if Atari chose UNIX (which I highly doubt they will)
they'll have support nightmares, and the reason I highly doubt they will
is that UNIX is HUGE.  Sure you MIGHT get a kernel and a few bits and
pieces to run on a 1040ST, but all the utilities?  I remember laughing
when I played with an ATT7300 (UNIX box) which had 4% available disk
space upon powering up for the FIRST time!  What use is that?

PLEASE don't construe this message as another "this machine [AMIGA] is
better than that machine [ST]", my point was that multi-tasking is
incredibly useful, not only for developing, but for application users
too, e.g: boot the word processor, then boot the spreadsheet as well!
With inter-process communication, you can have real time integration.

So what are the options for the ST?  I read about O/S-9 - sounds good,
but is it reliable, efficient, etc?  Anyone know what Atari's plans
might be?  I mean TOS/GEM/etc doesn't cut the mustard right now I don't
think.  Fixed limits on accessed directories!?!!?  Fixed #'s accessories
and/or windows?  Geeez... guess they use fixed arrays inside.  Can you
say "lists"?

	Paul.

Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone, and my opinions are my own.

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (09/29/86)

> Nf-ID: #R:<8609201259.AA04886@ucbvax.Berke:-40:ccvaxa:109200001:000:452
> Nf-From: ccvaxa.UUCP!preece    Sep 24 09:47:00 1986
>

> People should realize that some of the nicest features of GNUemacs
> are things that would be lost in a port to the ST: compiling from
> inside an edit session, shell windows, and filtering regions
> through commands are obviously not going to work without
> Unix multitasking.  It's still a nice editor, and without those
> features it might be small enough to fit...
>
> --
> scott preece
> gould/csd - urbana
> uucp:	ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece
> arpa:	preece@gswd-vms

wanna bet ??? i can compile, run commands, etc. from within uE3.7i; but i
will admit that porting GNUemacs would be a mistake
--
----
		It aint life that gets me down, it's gravity

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (10/04/86)

In article <109200001@ccvaxa> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

> People should realize that some of the nicest features of GNUemacs
> are things that would be lost in a port to the ST: compiling from
> inside an edit session, shell windows, and filtering regions
> through commands are obviously not going to work without
> Unix multitasking.  It's still a nice editor, and without those
> features it might be small enough to fit...

Why do you need multitasking to filter a region through a command?
As long as the system provides a way to specify what program to use
as a shell you should be able to do filters.

--
member, all HASA divisions              POELOD  ECBOMB

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh