[net.micro.atari16] Micro C-Shell

joe@ut-sally.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) (09/25/86)

A friend of mine who has the Micro C-Shell program is having difficulty
getting it to operate in the 2(multi) user mode.
He altered the /etc/passwd file and that allowed him to log-on, but
immediately after logging on, it brought him back to the login: prompt.
He is definately getting logged on under the new account name, but for some
reason the shell prompt never appears.

It would go something like this:

Login: john
Password:

Welcome to the Micro C-shell Multi tasking .. etc...

Last Login Monday September etc ...

Login:

--------
And that's it.  It just goes back to Login: and does the same thing with
all user names.
Does anyone out there have any ideas why this is not working?  Has anyone
else had a similar experience with this piece of software?
Thanks in advance.
j.h.

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (09/26/86)

In article <5803@ut-sally.UUCP> joe@ut-sally.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) writes:
>A friend of mine who has the Micro C-Shell program is having difficulty
>getting it to operate in the 2(multi) user mode.
>He altered the /etc/passwd file and that allowed him to log-on, but
>immediately after logging on, it brought him back to the login: prompt.
>He is definately getting logged on under the new account name, but for some
>reason the shell prompt never appears.

  First comment - this is the  multi-tasking "MT C-Shell", not the Micro
C-Shell, and it's not a bad package.  I like what it seems to be capable
of, but my hardware is a little too skimpy right now to run it properly.

  I have a 520 ST with *no* extra memory - this is the biggest  problem.
(I also have only one  double-sided  drive.)  The MT C-Shell kernal will
try to get logins from the serial  (modem)  port as well as the  console
keyboard.  Without a full megabyte, it will be unable to do so properly,
so you have to change the file  "\etc\ttys"  to tell it to  disable  the
serial  port.  Before I did this, I had the same thing,  except  that my
modem was on and the transmit and receive data lights were flashing very
steadily as the modem  echoed the "login:"  back to the Atari and the MT
C-Shell  would  try to log in a user with that ID.  I think  you  change
"17tta0"  to  "07tta0"  to disable it (BTW, the "7" means 1200 baud, and
the "tta0" is the tty port name.)  Once this is done, you should be able
to log in as root or as any user you set up in the passwd file.

  This is interesting on my system, but to be really useful, I'll need a
hard disk.  Anybody have a 30 Meg Supra and like it?  Any comparisons
with the Supra 20 or the Atari 20?

#   UUCP : ...!ubc-vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (09/27/86)

In article <5803@ut-sally.UUCP> joe@ut-sally.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) writes:
>A friend of mine who has the Micro C-Shell program is having difficulty
>getting it to operate in the 2(multi) user mode.
>He altered the /etc/passwd file and that allowed him to log-on, but
>immediately after logging on, it brought him back to the login: prompt.
>He is definately getting logged on under the new account name, but for some
>reason the shell prompt never appears.

I ran into exactly the same problem.  The problem is caused by ':' being used
as the field seperator in \etc\passwd and also being used by gemdos path names.
What had happened in my case was that i specified my home directory
to be 'E:\bammi'. Now when i login, login reads \etc\passwd and find that my
home directory is 'E' (the ':' in the pathname terminated the passwd field),
which is not a valid path, so it refuses to let me log in. I have informed
David Beckemeyer of this bug. For now the solution is to tell passwd that
your home directory is \usr\foo on the drive on which MT c shell live. In
\usr\foo you put in a profile.sh that send you off to your real home, after
modifying the home variable appropriately.

--
usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

djb@riccb.UUCP (Dave J. Burris ) (10/04/86)

> A friend of mine who has the Micro C-Shell program is having difficulty
> getting it to operate in the 2(multi) user mode.
> He altered the /etc/passwd file and that allowed him to log-on, but
> immediately after logging on, it brought him back to the login: prompt.
> He is definately getting logged on under the new account name, but for some
> reason the shell prompt never appears.
>
> It would go something like this:
>
> Login: john
> Password:
>
> Welcome to the Micro C-shell Multi tasking .. etc...
>
> Last Login Monday September etc ...
>

> Login:
>
> --------
> And that's it.  It just goes back to Login: and does the same thing with
> all user names.
> Does anyone out there have any ideas why this is not working?  Has anyone
> else had a similar experience with this piece of software?
> Thanks in advance.
> j.h.

Check the default shell field of the login entry of \etc\passwd for the
offending login. Make certain that the csh.prg file can be found. You should
also check the user's login.sh file to see if the path is being set to
something weird.

--
Dave Burris
..!ihnp4!ihopa!riccb!djb