[net.micro.atari16] HARDDISKS

MLSIRTON@WEIZMANN.BITNET (Guy Sirton) (07/26/86)

I'm interested in getting information about hard disks available
for the ST.
If anyone has the technical information about existing ST hard disks
please E-mail me and I'll summarize to the net.
Also, is it possible to connect hard disks from other micros to the
ST?
An IBM-PC hard disk for example?

Guy

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (10/02/86)

I got one of the ATARI hardisks (SH204) yesterday (the price for the SH204
has gone down from SFr 2190.- ($1290) to SFr 1490.- ($880) list price in the
last month (I payed SFr 1290.- ($760)).I spent most of the night
playing around with it and naturally :-) have some questions:

             - How do you invoke the 40 subdirectory "feature" realiably?
               Do you actually have to open 40 subdirectorys? I had a total
               of 80 subdirectorys (not at one time) on the desktop last
               night and didn't notice any ill effects. This morning I did
               experience the bug after copying a lot of stuff from the
               harddisk to floppy (I didn't have any files in partition D:
               anymore), but I didn't count how many subdirectorys I had
               actually handled.
             - The german handbook doesn't have a warning about having more
               than 40 subdirectorys in it (I have seen a US handbook and
               the rest of the german hanbook seems to be a one to one
               translation). Does this mean that the bug was fixed for
               german TOS or is the upper limit just higher? (I wonder
               what the legal implications of this is, if I trash my harddisk
               due to the bug?)
             - Has anyone seen or used a backup program (PD or commercial)?
             - Does anybody have a program like  TREE (MS-DOS)?
BTW I would like chkdsk too, if its not too much trouble.

                        Simon Poole
                        K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (10/03/86)

In article <8610021125.AA29449@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:
>I got one of the ATARI hardisks (SH204) yesterday...
>
>             - How do you invoke the 40 subdirectory "feature" realiably?
>
>                        Simon Poole
>                        K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

According to Neil@Atari, you have to access 40 subdirectories in between boots.

-Eric

dclemans@mntgfx.UUCP (Dave Clemans) (10/07/86)

There are a few public domain backup programs floating around (I've seen them
in the Compuserve Atari16 group).

On the commercial side, Michtron should be shipping one imminently...

dgc