[net.micro.atari16] Vi

c160-fk@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Duy Le) (09/26/86)

I currently have a few versions of Micro-Emacs but I haven't used them
much because I don't want to spend time learning a new set of commands.
I use vi when I write programs on  the Unix.  I wonder if there is a version
of vi for the ST that I can accquire.  Comments are welcome and appreciated.
						Duy

     Duy Le
     Richmond, Ca
     UUCP:   c160-fk@zooey

wampler@unmvax.UUCP (Bruce Wampler) (09/26/86)

> I use vi when I write programs on  the Unix.  I wonder if there is a version
> of vi for the ST that I can accquire.

	I wrote an editor in C called TVX which was released to the NET
last spring, but we get a new set of people as time goes on.  It has
its own native command set, but also emulates VI and EMACS.  The
VI emulation is about 95%.  NO ex commands, different pattern matching,
and a couple of missing commands.  It is close enough to be useful, with
the differences really different.  You can get the sources from
any mod.sources archive site, or send me 720K worth of atari disks,
pre-formatted, please, with return postage (or a blank disk in lieu
of postage), and I will return the source + compiled versions.
--
Dr. Bruce E. Wampler
University of New Mexico

..{ucbvax | seismo!gatech | ihnp4!lanl}!unmvax!wampler

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (09/27/86)

> I currently have a few versions of Micro-Emacs but I haven't used them
> much because I don't want to spend time learning a new set of commands.
> I use vi when I write programs on  the Unix.  I wonder if there is a version
> of vi for the ST that I can accquire.  Comments are welcome and appreciated.
> 						Duy
>
>      Duy Le
>      Richmond, Ca
>      UUCP:   c160-fk@zooey
  I too as well as a lot of people I know would similarly be interested..

                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   ptsfa!aum!freed

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (10/03/86)

In article <393@unmvax.UUCP> wampler@unmvax.UUCP (Bruce Wampler) writes:

>	I wrote an editor in C called TVX which was released to the NET
>last spring, but we get a new set of people as time goes on.  It has
>its own native command set, but also emulates VI and EMACS...

   Is there anybody out there who uses TVX/VI who isn't having problems
with it?  Three ST owners at this computing center have a copy (from the
same "original"), and we all have found it to have a fatal flaw.  Two of
us encountered errors where the editor would die (losing all changes) while
scrolling up or down.  The third person, hearing about this, started doing
periodic writes while editing.  Well, when *his* edit session bombed, it
turns out that the previous 'n' writes had put garbage in his file.  So
we all went back to using the primitive yet functional Metacomco editor
(which, by the way, has a limit to the size of file it can edit-- I haven't
run into the problem, but another guy has).  At any rate, if anyone has
had a similar problem and fixed it, I'd appreciate hearing about it;
conversely, if people have been using it with no problems, I'd like to hear
about that, too.  Looking into the problem myself is in my queue, but
it's a ways down there, and days are too short for me to get to everything
I want to do in a finite amount of time (>- sigh! -<).
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (10/08/86)

>From mcnc!philabs!cmcl2!husc6!ut-sally!seismo!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster Wed Oct  8 11:51:56 EDT 1986

>In article <393@unmvax.UUCP> wampler@unmvax.UUCP (Bruce Wampler) writes:
>>
>>	I wrote an editor in C called TVX which was released to the NET
>>its own native command set, but also emulates VI and EMACS...

>   Is there anybody out there who uses TVX/VI who isn't having problems
>with it?  Three ST owners [.. went to market ....]

I've been using vix pretty much exclusively, and I have not had any
of the problems you mentioned.  I try not to use it for very large
bodies of text, but that's mainly because my ramdisk tends to throw up
if it gets filled up to it's limit (with programs, text files,
whatever.)  Also, saving the stuff every page or so is probably a good
idea.  You could try getting the source and recompiling.

							-ravi
					{ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}!mcnc!ravi