[net.micro.atari16] Bug in Spell.prg ??

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (10/10/86)

I've encountered a somewhat annoying problem with the Spell pgm.
posted some days back by Eric Terrel.. it occasionally wants
to trash the file that is being  checked for incorrect
spellings.  At one point I backspaced all the way over a word in the
dialog box which asks if the spelling is Ok, add to dictionary or not,
etc., and then selected 'NO'.  The program quit, but it seemed to cut
off my file at the point which it had reached (ie. till where it had
checked for incorrect spellings).  On other occasions I'm not sure
what I did but the file was chomped.  So, it's probably a good idea to
make a copy of the file before running Spell on it (till the bug is
fixed).

						-ravi

iarocci@eneevax.UUCP (Bill Dorsey) (10/14/86)

In article <1704@alvin.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:

>I've encountered a somewhat annoying problem with the Spell pgm.
>posted some days back by Eric Terrel.. it occasionally wants
>to trash the file that is being  checked for incorrect
>spellings.  At one point I backspaced all the way over a word in the
>dialog box which asks if the spelling is Ok, add to dictionary or not,
>etc., and then selected 'NO'.  The program quit, but it seemed to cut
>off my file at the point which it had reached (ie. till where it had
>checked for incorrect spellings).  On other occasions I'm not sure
>what I did but the file was chomped.  So, it's probably a good idea to
>make a copy of the file before running Spell on it (till the bug is
>fixed).
>
>						-ravi

I encountered another problem with spell.prg:  I tried to use a dictionary
file with about 25,000 words in it, but I got a program error message.  I
checked the file to see if it was in the same format that spell generates
when you add words to the dictionary, and it was.  Is there some kind of
limitation on the number of words spell can check?  Does it try to load the
entire dictionary into ram, for example?

| Bill Dorsey                                                                 |
|                      'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'        |
|                                            - Albert Einstein                |
| ARPA : iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu                                              |
| UUCP : [seismo,allegra,rlgvax]!umcp-cs!eneevax!iarocci                      |