[net.micro.atari16] uudecode problems

cms@vlsvax1.UUCP (Chuck M. Sweeney) (09/06/86)

[]

I may have found a solution to the problems of transferring uuencoded/
uudecoded files to STs.  I had the same problems as others have described
(i.e. transfer the file, run it and get a TOS Error #35) with
the recent Uniterm posting.  I tried both Xmodem and kermit and got the
same result each time.  So I loaded the uuencoded file into EMACS, and
went to the end.  There was an extra line feed and the word 'end' and
a couple of more line feeds.  I deleted everything except the last line
feed on the last line of the file.  This, of course, produced an error
message of 'Short File' when I uudecoded the file.  But I still had
'uniterm.prg' at about the size it should have been (I didn't check
specifically).  I went ahead and transferred the file to my ST and
double clicked on it.  It worked.  Perfectly.  I like it.  Anyway,
try that on some of the files that have been creating problems and see
if it works.  Luck.

Sweeney
qantel!vlsvax1!cms

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (09/08/86)

In article <517@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>Has anyone else successful uudecode anything and had it run on the ST?

  I have had excellent luck with uuencoded stuff.  The only two problems
I remember were with a Forth interpreter (an early version of Bradley's
FORTHMACS) which came in four parts and never has worked, and the 'Piano'
package from Scott Huskey, which was simply broken (but the new copy he
sent me by mail works - thanks, Scott!).

  I capture the stuff and squirt it to my ST while still uuencoded,
downloading it as straight ASCII with FLASH!.  I then uudecode it on my
ST.  This even worked for Hack for the ST.

  Caveat: I haven't tried decoding the MicroEmacs 3.7 yet, and I didn't
get all of the Uniterm binary.  But other people have had success, so...
I'll send my source for ST uudecode to anyone ; drop me a note if you wish.
(Or maybe I should send uuencoded binaries? :-) :-) :-))

#   UUCP : ...!ubc_vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#
#   "There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a	#
#    Pisces, probably working for scale."	-Nick Danger, 3rd Eye	#

wmb@sun.uucp (Mitch Bradley) (09/10/86)

> I have had excellent luck with uuencoded stuff.  The only two problems
> I remember were with a Forth interpreter (an early version of Bradley's
> FORTHMACS) which came in four parts and never has worked.

Some mailer somewhere completely ruined that posting.  I got a copy
off the net, unpacked, and od'ed the binary.  Parts of it were correct,
and other parts were totally hosed.

BTW, if you don't have Forthmacs yet, get a copy and try it out.  It
has a disassembler, assembler, memory display/modification, interactive
file access, a command interpreter, MicroEmacs, xmodem, interactive access
to every TOS/BDOS/BIOS/XBIOS/VDI/AES/LINE-A call, mushroom analysis,
on-line documentation, command completion, interactive command history,
multitasking, 25/40/44/50 line switching, and split-screen scrolling.

It's in John Franco's STarter kit as shareware.

Mitch Bradley

MOEWS@UCONNVM.BITNET (10/14/86)

     I have been able to decode most of the recent uuencoded
 postings- ARC, ARC Lite, Mandlxbox, Clock, Tbug, the Arc shell,EMacs7.1-
 without too much difficulty even though I am on an IBM machine,
 a 3084 Q, on bitnet.  The only exception was Uniterm.  However
 there were hardware incompatibilities, perhaps there is a
 hardware problem with the latest version of Uniterm - only works
 with a  hard disk, or with Simon Poole's latest setup.
    I have two 1040's one with color monitor, one black and white.
 Arc Lite only runs with the color monitor, it hangs with the black
 and white one.   Mandlxbox only works for me if I first load a
 512K ram disk, its bombs on my 1040 with the full 1 meg of memory
 available.  Uniterm bombs as described by others; however the
 keyedit program works fine and I see no unusual distribution of
 characters in the UUencoded files.
      In a check of the WISCVM gateway last summer (made by D.  Moews)
 UUencoded files passed OK from Arpanet to Bitnet and from Bitnet to
 Arpanet.   Why then does Keyedit work and not Uniterm?
    By the way the spaces in the uucoded emacs and the arc shell
 were X'79's instead of x'40's I had to convert them for my version
 of UUdecode.                             P. Moews