[net.micro.atari16] No Available 1040's

stuart@rochester.ARPA (10/03/86)

From: Stuart Friedberg  <stuart>

I have had a monochrome 1040ST on order through my local dealer since
the end of July.  From reading this newsgroup it was clear that 1040's
are scarce all over, so I refrained from flaming Atari or flaming my
dealer.  I simply assumed that production could not keep up with
demand.

However, my dealer got fed up with having a machine on order for two
and a half months.  In addition to my machine, the store paid for 20
machines and received none of them.  520's are coming in months after
being paid for.  1040's aren't coming in at all.  For this reason, the
two store managers and the branch manager had a full day "chat" with
the appropriate Atari representative.  They were unhappy and the rep
left, ah, uncomfortable.  The statements in this paragraph are facts.

I am now going to relate some statements that I can not confirm
personally.  Treat them as rumor, but notice that I have signed this
message.  There are no 1040's in the warehouse.  There are no 1040's in
production.  Atari has been accepting orders, and payment, in order to
build up liquid assets.  I have heard two conjectured motivations:
(1) build up capital for production facilities, and (2) buy Commodore.
I choose not to speculate, but these statements are consistent with
the observed facts.

In my opinion, the ST is an extremely competent machine at an
unbeatable price.  However, it doesn't make any difference what the
price is, if no machines are available.  Whether the statements of the
preceding paragraph are true or false, it remains true that the dealer
has my money, and Atari has the dealer's money, and Atari is not
delivering.  This is not responsive and borders on irresponsible.

Stu Friedberg  {seismo, allegra}!rochester!stuart  stuart@rochester

braner@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (braner) (10/03/86)

[]

Obviously, Atari cannot meet the demand for 1040's. (the machines, not
the forms :-)  And it IS trying to raise capital (e.g. the "going public").
But to hold on to peoples' money is not only immoral (illegal?) but also
against Atari's interest.  I assume they 1040's sold were sold at a profit.
I also assume the factories involved still exist.  So the only thing gained
by the (rumored) witholding of that production capacity is bad PR.

Osborne went belly-up because of the early announcment of the Osborne 2,
prompting consumers to wait and avoid buying the 1.  Atari has announced
the 2080 and 4160.  Are they trying to discontinue the 1040? Are they
trying to FORCE the consumers to wait for those?  I think that would be
a grave mistake:  There IS a market for the 1040, obviously!  1 megabyte
is enough for a LOT of uses, and the larger RAM chips are going to be
very expensive for some time to come.  512K is NOT enough for any sort
of development work, as the demand for upgrades proves.  And by 'development'
I mean 'programming', not necessarily commercial.  The "nobody programs
besides the professionals" myth has been shattered by the sale of
hundreds of thousands of copies of Turbo Pascal.

Please, Atari: let us have 1040's!

- Moshe Braner

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/04/86)

Much of this has to do with the dealer.  One dealer here
took prepaid orders of many times their agreed on allocation
schedule.

Other dealers have been taking no back-orders and are still selling
them as they come in.

The dealer that took the back-orders was trying to corner the local
market (which would be easy to do here).  Atari has had the wisdom
to protect the supply to other dealers.  Without that protection,
the ST's would ONLY be available mail-order.  Not the best choice.

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (10/05/86)

I have also heard rumor (2) (Buy Commodore) from another source.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (10/06/86)

In article <21269@rochester.ARPA>, stuart@rochester.ARPA writes:

> I am now going to relate some statements that I can not confirm
> personally.  Treat them as rumor, but notice that I have signed this
> message.  There are no 1040's in the warehouse.  There are no 1040's in
> production.  Atari has been accepting orders, and payment, in order to
> build up liquid assets.  I have heard two conjectured motivations:
> (1) build up capital for production facilities, and (2) buy Commodore.
> I choose not to speculate, but these statements are consistent with
> the observed facts.

The 1040ST's are in production and on their way.  We sold out due to a
spectacular Summer.

Accepting money for a product which cannot be shipped does not build up
assets -- there is a liability added to the books for each undelivered
machine.

And the shortage is a situation which will be cleared up momentarily.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (10/06/86)

In article <8610042253.AA18728@mitre-bedford.ARPA>, jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
writes:
> I have also heard rumor (2) (Buy Commodore) from another source.

God forbid!

I had a nightmare last year about Atari buying Commodore.  We had to go back
there and clean up the mess!  No thank you.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

uh@exunido.UUCP (10/12/86)

Interesting,

in Germany Atari has dropped the prices for the 1040 last week (Oct 1st)
from former DM 3298,-- ($ 1650,--) to DM 2498,-- ($ 1250,--). The rumor was
that the 1040 was sold only very bad. The new price is about DM 400,--
($ 200) below a 520 with same specs only in more parts and with separate
power supplies. The price for 520 and 260 has NOT been dropped!!!

     Uwe Hoch
     Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
     4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
     E-mail address: uh@exunido.uucp, uh@exunido.bitnet

view3b5@ihlpl.UUCP (Pruitt) (10/14/86)

> in Germany Atari has dropped the prices for the 1040 last week (Oct 1st)
> from former DM 3298,-- ($ 1650,--) to DM 2498,-- ($ 1250,--). The rumor was
> that the 1040 was sold only very bad. The new price is about DM 400,--
> ($ 200) below a 520 with same specs only in more parts and with separate
> power supplies. The price for 520 and 260 has NOT been dropped!!!
>
>      Uwe Hoch

According to rumors I have heard (I believe they come from CompuServe),
Toys 'R Us will be selling the 520ST with ss disk drive around
Christmas time for $250.   This doesn't include monitor but since the
new 520ST's have an RF modulator, you can use a TV set until you rebuild
your savings account (:-)).  It would certainly make an excellent starter
setup.

Kit Kimes
AT&T-ISL
Naperville, IL
...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

casper@targon.UUCP (Casper Jansen) (10/15/86)

In a message it was said that the drop in price of the 1040 could be
due to the very bad sales.
This I know not to be true. One of the main reasons for the 1040 to
drop in price both in Holland as in Germany is that official dealers
had (have?) a lot of competition from non-dealers, who imported the
machine 'illegaly' (outside Atari channels). They would sell it for
a few hundred bucks under de official Atari price. Aparently, this was
the solution to the problem.
The 1040 sells very well (at least in Holland it does).

Casper Jansen
Holland
....!mcvax!targon!casper

uh@exunido.UUCP (10/19/86)

>The 1040 sells very well (at least in Holland it does).

As I have heard from our dealer not in Germany. But now it should be
best-selling.

uh@unido