[net.micro.atari16] Two wonderful ST Programs

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (10/17/86)

> Eat my Line <

OK, OK, I've complained enough about the Atari ST.  Now for something
completely different.  Praise!

Two WONDERFUL programs for the ST are:  Beckmeyer's Multi-Tasking C Shell,
and Uniterm 1.5.

C-Shell:
	The best.  Fantastic.  What can I say.  If you like Unix, you'll
love this.  Really does multitask.  Really does multiuser.  (Really wants
1 meg of RAM, but runs barely in 512K).  Pipes, I/O redirection, filters,
environment variables, paths, shell scripts, history, aliases... it's
real!  I can barely tell the difference from this and the Unix system
upon which I send this message.  I love it!  Caveat:  Have 1 Meg.  Have
a hard disk.  (I don't know at all how well this runs on a floppy, it's
probably quite painful).
	Beckmeyer Development Tools
	478 Santa Clara Ave.,
	Oakland, CA  94610
	(415) 452-1129
	MT C Shell - $129.95
	Non-MT C Shell (probably also very good, I don't know) $49.95

Uniterm:
	I'm impressed.  Smooth scrolling makes me feel cool.  VT100
(VT102) emulation makes things useful.  The interface is very good.
Again, I'm spellbound.  The quality of this piece of software is
fantastic, and should be emulated (forgive the pun).

Just thought some praise was due.

I of course, have no connection to anything or anyone anywhere, and
never say anything that I thought of myself.

-Eric

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (10/21/86)

In article <446@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric Olson) writes:
>> Eat my Line <
>
>Two WONDERFUL programs for the ST are:  Beckmeyer's Multi-Tasking C Shell...

>C-Shell:
>	The best.  Fantastic.  What can I say.  If you like Unix, you'll
>love this.  Really does multitask.  Really does multiuser.  (Really wants
>1 meg of RAM, but runs barely in 512K).  Pipes, I/O redirection, filters,
>environment variables, paths, shell scripts, history, aliases... it's
>real!  I can barely tell the difference from this and the Unix system
>upon which I send this message.  I love it!  Caveat:  Have 1 Meg.  Have
>a hard disk.  (I don't know at all how well this runs on a floppy, it's
>probably quite painful).
>	Non-MT C Shell (probably also very good, I don't know) $49.95

   I just got the Micro C-Shell (i.e. Non-MT), and it does all you report
up there, except of course the multi-user/tasking stuff.  It works quite
well with my 1 meg, 2 floppy system.  My development tools go in a 512K
ramdisk, the SS drive holds the C-Shell, and the DS drive holds my work.
Since the (arguably) most common unix-type commands are resident, there
isn't a lot of disk access to the SS drive.  The only problem I've found
with it (and it's fairly minor) is that there are two separate shells; one
for TOS-only work, and one which supports GEM programs.  The problem is
that the GEM version can't load at boot time from the AUTO folder.  A minor
inconvenience, like I said...
   Anyway, I believe I paid only $35 for the thing from Black Patch (yet
another mail order place).  And those who like their software without copy
protection will be glad to hear that this isn't protected (I tried out a
friend's copy before buying it... that's how things *should* work).
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!