[net.micro.atari16] extra "raw" disk drives

braner@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (braner) (10/15/86)

[]

If it is a good idea to connect a cheap, "raw" 3.5" (DS) drive
to the ST, could you hardware experts out there tell us how
(or why it's no good)?

There seem to be DS drives for sale for < $100.
But pinouts? Power requirements?

- Moshe Braner

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (10/17/86)

Paul Swanson of Nite-Lite Systems (617) 663-4221 (BBS line) has done some
interfacing of "foreign" disk drives to the ST.  I think this includes IBM
PC drives (5.25 inch).  He of course would prefer to sell you an interface
rather than telling you how to design one, but he certainly could answer your
questions if he has the time.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (10/18/86)

> Paul Swanson of Nite-Lite Systems (617) 663-4221 (BBS line) has done some
> interfacing of "foreign" disk drives to the ST.  I think this includes IBM
> PC drives (5.25 inch).  He of course would prefer to sell you an interface
> rather than telling you how to design one, but he certainly could answer your
> questions if he has the time.
>
> -John Sangster
> jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

it was written up with only 2 omissions in an old issue of antic (i can give
you the issue # if you want), the first omission was that the atari
disk drives use cmos level signals so you need to stick a buffer chip
in between the drives and second you need to set the access time to 6
ms. there was a pgm called sixms.prg to do that posted to the net, i
have a copy if you need it.
--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (10/20/86)

In article <619@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

>> Paul Swanson of Nite-Lite Systems (617) 663-4221 (BBS line) has done some
>> interfacing of "foreign" disk drives to the ST.  I think this includes IBM
>> PC drives (5.25 inch).  He of course would prefer to sell you an interface
>> rather than telling you how to design one, but he certainly could answer your
>> questions if he has the time.
>>
>> -John Sangster
>> jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa
>
>it was written up with only 2 omissions in an old issue of antic (i can give
>you the issue # if you want), the first omission was that the atari
>disk drives use cmos level signals so you need to stick a buffer chip
>in between the drives and second you need to set the access time to 6
>ms. there was a pgm called sixms.prg to do that posted to the net, i
>have a copy if you need it.
>--
>----
I have interfaced the CDC drives that are sold by BG micro and those drives
(Full height DSDD) require at least 10ms step rate.  Let the buyer beware!
Until someone come up with a 10ms step rate program,  Those drives are
useless on the ST.

					Rich Andrews
					...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (10/21/86)

In article <648@chinet.UUCP>, cabbie@chinet.UUCP writes:
> In article <619@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
> >>
> >> Paul Swanson of Nite-Lite Systems (617) 663-4221 (BBS line) has done some
> >> interfacing of "foreign" disk drives to the ST.  I think this includes IBM
> >> PC drives (5.25 inch).  He of course would prefer to sell you an interface
> >> rather than telling you how to design one, but he certainly could answer your
> >> questions if he has the time.
> >>
> >> -John Sangster
> >> jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa
> >
> >it was written up with only 2 omissions in an old issue of antic (i can give
> >you the issue # if you want), the first omission was that the atari
> >disk drives use cmos level signals so you need to stick a buffer chip
> >in between the drives and second you need to set the access time to 6
> >ms. there was a pgm called sixms.prg to do that posted to the net, i
> >have a copy if you need it.
> >--
> >----
> I have interfaced the CDC drives that are sold by BG micro and those drives
> (Full height DSDD) require at least 10ms step rate.  Let the buyer beware!
> Until someone come up with a 10ms step rate program,  Those drives are
> useless on the ST.
>

> 					Rich Andrews
> 					...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

I've been using a Teac 5.25" drive for about a year now.  It works flawlessly
without changing the access rate or using a buffer chip. This seems like the
drive to use if you need a 5.25" drive.

If you want to upgrade your original single sided 3.5" Atari drive to a double
sided drive, I have been told that Epson 3.5" drives work quite well.  There are only
two problems.  First, the busy light is on the wrong side.  You'll have to
remount it, or just listen to the drive if you want to see if it is on. :)
Second, the disk eject button is too short to reach through the Atari drive's
cabinet.  To fix this, you need to replace the eject button on the new drive
with the one from the old drive.

I am planning on doing this upgrade soon, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Barry Locklear
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Denver, CO 80234
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!lbl

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (10/22/86)

In article <1171@druhi.UUCP> lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) writes:

>> >it was written up with only 2 omissions in an old issue of antic (i can give
>> >you the issue # if you want), the first omission was that the atari
>> >disk drives use cmos level signals so you need to stick a buffer chip
>> >in between the drives and second you need to set the access time to 6
>> >ms. there was a pgm called sixms.prg to do that posted to the net, i
>> >have a copy if you need it.
>> >--
>> >----
>> I have interfaced the CDC drives that are sold by BG micro and those drives
>> (Full height DSDD) require at least 10ms step rate.  Let the buyer beware!
>> Until someone come up with a 10ms step rate program,  Those drives are
>> useless on the ST.
>>

>> 					Rich Andrews
>> 					...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie
>
>I've been using a Teac 5.25" drive for about a year now.  It works flawlessly
>without changing the access rate or using a buffer chip. This seems like the
>drive to use if you need a 5.25" drive.
>
>If you want to upgrade your original single sided 3.5" Atari drive to a double
>sided drive, I have been told that Epson 3.5" drives work quite well.  There are only
>two problems.  First, the busy light is on the wrong side.  You'll have to
>remount it, or just listen to the drive if you want to see if it is on. :)
>Second, the disk eject button is too short to reach through the Atari drive's
>cabinet.  To fix this, you need to replace the eject button on the new drive
>with the one from the old drive.
>
>I am planning on doing this upgrade soon, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.
>
>Barry Locklear
>AT&T Information Systems Labs
>Denver, CO 80234
>ihnp4!drutx!druhi!lbl

	The 3.5 drives that I have are both epson made.  Original equipment
from Atari.
				Rich Andrews
				ihnp4!chinet!cabbie