[net.micro.atari16] 1st WORD Update

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (10/16/86)

This is going to be one of those "I-know-this-was-posted-before-but-
it-slipped-by-me-when-I-was-in-a-drunken-stupor-so-could-you-please-talk-
about-it-again" type of postings...

I know the new version of 1st Word is out, but will someone tell me how
I can get ahold of the new version? (I have the old version.)

Also, it was my understanding that this new release of 1st Word would
allow for 2 column output, and the insertion of Degas-format images.
Now, however, I am getting mixed signals that this is not true. Could
someone please elaborate on what the enhancements will do?

Thanks in advance...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	usenet: {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,topaz,decvax}!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo
	ARPA:   demillo@unix.macc.wisc.edu    (now isn't that easier?)

	"I am not so sure
	 what you want me for!			'War Games'
	 Either your machine is a 		   - Crosby, Stills and Nash
	 fool, or me..."

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) (10/18/86)

>Also, it was my understanding that this new release of 1st Word would
>allow for 2 column output, and the insertion of Degas-format images.
>Now, however, I am getting mixed signals that this is not true. Could
>someone please elaborate on what the enhancements will do?

I have a few other questions about 1st Word as well:

1) Does the new version have ways to make big moves around the screen
without using the mouse?  In specific does it have an easy beginning of
line or end of line command (like emacs Ctrl-e)?

2) Is there any way to drive the more "exotic":-) printers like my
NEC 8023?  (A general OS print driver (accessory ?) would be nice so that
screen dumps to non-Epson printers would turn out)

3) Is hyphenation supported?

4) Are some of the annoying things about the old vesion corrected like

	a.Outputting a blank page on printing
	b.Exiting the edit file on save ( I guess
	  I'm in the habit of frequently saving)

For now, 1st Word fills most of my word processing needs but in the future
I may be needing a more complete (spell checking, hyphenation, footnoting,
etc) WP.  What other WPs are available and what will they offer.

Thanks in advance,

Bart Atwell

Bicer.ES@XEROX.COM (10/21/86)

In 1st WORD Update (V1.06), how can you double space?

	Thanks in advance,

	Jack Bicer

Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM

gordon@sage.cs.reading.ac.uk (Simon Gordon) (10/23/86)

In article <3959@utah-cs.UUCP> atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) writes:

>>Also, it was my understanding that this new release of 1st Word would
>>allow for 2 column output, and the insertion of Degas-format images.

I was working on the PCW show on the ATARI stand (helping out) and for one
day was demonstrating 1st word plus, so lets try and help.

1) 1st word plus is a new product, not a new release, and costs about
   90 pounds.
2) i believe the final version will have multi column output, but the press
   release version ddid not, so i dont know for sure
3) it can import graphics, in a special format. (low, medium, or high)
   (if you use the wp in the wrong res the picture is shown on the screen
   as a black rectangle) - the pictures can overlap each other, and the text.
   they provide a snapshot accessory (ie cant be got at in degas or neo)
   which can snap a portion of the screen in there own compact format,
   degas format, doodle format, or neo format - therefore you would need
   to convert degas or neo images to, say, doodle format so that you could
   snap them with the desk accessory.

>I have a few other questions about 1st Word as well:
>
>1) Does the new version have ways to make big moves around the screen
>without using the mouse?  In specific does it have an easy beginning of
>line or end of line command (like emacs Ctrl-e)?

4) big moves work as before, by mouse

>2) Is there any way to drive the more "exotic":-) printers like my
>NEC 8023?  (A general OS print driver (accessory ?) would be nice so that
>screen dumps to non-Epson printers would turn out)

5) printer driver is altered as before, except there are a few extra options
   to support graphics and rulers (rulers allow blocks of text to be in
   pica, elite, condensed, and expanded elite.

>3) Is hyphenation supported?

6) yes, when it needs to hyphenate a word (if hyph is enabled) then it shows
   you how its going to do it, and allows you to alter the hyphenation position
   if you want to.

>4) Are some of the annoying things about the old vesion corrected like
>
>	a.Outputting a blank page on printing
>	b.Exiting the edit file on save ( I guess
>	  I'm in the habit of frequently saving)

7) a) yes, infact you can sor that out in version 1.6 of 1st word (update
   free) aswell)
   b) yes, there is a save and resume option.

>For now, 1st Word fills most of my word processing needs but in the future
>I may be needing a more complete (spell checking, hyphenation, footnoting,
>etc) WP.  What other WPs are available and what will they offer.

8) it includes a built in spellchecker, with a 40000 word dictionary (if
   i remember the size correctly) - you dont need to drop out of wp to
   check spelling or alter the dictionary.

9) footnoting has also been included.

10) dont know much about any other wps, I like 1st word+

Simon Gordon, Reading university, England.

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (10/24/86)

In article <861020-140353-168@Xerox>, Bicer.ES@XEROX.COM writes:

> In 1st WORD Update (V1.06), how can you double space?

Select SPACING from the menu.  That's it!

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies