[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #243

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (07/02/85)

From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

> Tanith Lee is a British writer who leans to sword/sorcery and
> fantasy (excellent writing, I might add.)  However, about a year
> ago, I acquired a copy of her book THE SILVER METAL LOVER, and loved
> it.  I have seen lists of titles by her that might be in the same
> genre (ie, not s/s); in particular, DON'T BITE THE SUN, and SAPPHIRE
> WINE.  I haven't been able to find them!  Has anyone read them?  How
> were they?

They were very good. (I can't help you find them; you certainly can't have
_my_ copies.)  The ``** spoiler warning **'' key on this terminal is broken,
so I can't describe the plot.  (The title of the second is
_Drinking_Sapphire_Wine_, which may make it a bit easier to find.)  It's
about as much science fiction as _The_Silver_Metal_Lover_, or as her other
sf books (_Sabella_, _Day_By_Night_ (?), _Electric_Forest_, and perhaps
others I can't remember): light on the science (i.e., extremely advanced
science, equivalent to domestic magic, but all in the background), heavy on
things that certain of the flamers here would approve of: writing style,
characterization, and so on.  All of them are worth reading.

Pax VAXque vobsicum
  Bard
-------