[net.micro.atari16] Bug in HDX

XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET (09/23/86)

A few weeks ago I bought a SH204 harddisk. After formatting and partitioning
into 2 logical drives with the HDX program I started to transfer lots of
stuff from floppys to the harddisk.
After some Megs' I realized that the desktop directory listing of the 2nd
drive was scrambled. Looking into the directory with a diskeditor I found
text (Grrrrrrrr). This text looked terribly like a file I transferred to
the 1st drive last.
To make things short, it was the file.
A quick view onto the partition information block (sector 0 of hard disk)
showed that HDX created two overlapping partitions.
Trying different partition sizes I found that HDX was only able to create
correct partitions if I selected one of the predefined partitioning schemes
of the menu.
Did someone have similar problems with HDX ?

  Konrad Hahn
  Techn. University Darmstadt
  Dept. of Computer Science (Datentechnik)
  Merckstr. 25, D-6100 Darmstadt, W.-Germany
  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21

gert@nikhefh.uucp (Gert Poletiek) (09/24/86)

In article <8609230641.AA23649@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET writes:
>A few weeks ago I bought a SH204 harddisk. After formatting and partitioning
>into 2 logical drives with the HDX program I started to transfer lots of
>stuff from floppys to the harddisk.
>After some Megs' I realized that the desktop directory listing of the 2nd
>drive was scrambled. Looking into the directory with a diskeditor I found
>text (Grrrrrrrr). This text looked terribly like a file I transferred to
>the 1st drive last.
>To make things short, it was the file.
>A quick view onto the partition information block (sector 0 of hard disk)
>showed that HDX created two overlapping partitions.
>Trying different partition sizes I found that HDX was only able to create
>correct partitions if I selected one of the predefined partitioning schemes
>of the menu.
>Did someone have similar problems with HDX ?
>
>  Konrad Hahn
>  Techn. University Darmstadt
>  Dept. of Computer Science (Datentechnik)
>  Merckstr. 25, D-6100 Darmstadt, W.-Germany
>  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21

Yep, had the same problems you mentioned. I had to reformat twice, but
I still have a nonstandard partitioning. I recommend you use the bad block
option as soon you have formatted you disk. This will find something about .2
percent of the disk to be bad.
I'm running for 1.5 months now without any trouble.

Gert Poletiek
Dutch National Institute for High Energy Physics
Amsterdam
The Netherlands

FISCHER-MICHAEL@YALE.ARPA (09/26/86)

    From Konrad Hahn:
    A quick view onto the partition information block (sector 0 of hard disk)
    showed that HDX created two overlapping partitions.
    Trying different partition sizes I found that HDX was only able to create
    correct partitions if I selected one of the predefined partitioning schemes
    of the menu.
    Did someone have similar problems with HDX ?

I most certainly did.  I was using a non-standard sized middle partition
(only 2 MB), and after loading on lots of files and folders to the first
and third partitions, the middle one became trashed.  However, John
Fagins of Atari thinks the trashed middle partition was due to my
exceeding the overall limit of 40 folders rather than to a problem with
HDX.

I would like to look at the partition information I am currently running
with to see if I currently have overlapping partitions.  (I
repartitioned into an 8-4-8 configuration (still non-standard) in the
hopes that whatever caused the earlier problems would go away.) However,
I don't know how to read the partition information block on the hard
disk.  I believe rwabs on sector 0 will give me the boot sector for the
partition instead of the partition information block, and I don't know
of any hard disk analogs to the BIOS floprd/flopwr calls for the
floppies.  How did you inspect the partition information block?

--Mike Fischer  <fischer@yale.arpa>
-------

slavenbg@prle2.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) (09/27/86)

>A quick view onto the partition information block (sector 0 of hard disk)
>showed that HDX created two overlapping partitions.
>Trying different partition sizes I found that HDX was only able to create
>correct partitions if I selected one of the predefined partitioning schemes
>of the menu.
>Did someone have similar problems with HDX ?

We encountered exactly the same problem with HDX as released in Holland.
  Gert Slavenburg

dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) (10/03/86)

This is a note to owners of Atari SH-204 hard disks.

As mentioned on Compuserve (and here on usenet), there is a bug in
HDX, the hard disk installer and partitioner for the SH-204 hard disk.
The bug manifests itself when the partition editor is used to bump
partition sizes up and down.  The editor can create overlapping
partitions and other nasty situations, which eventually result in a
corrupted file system.

IN THE INTERIM:
The "menu" of standard partitions in HDX is safe to use, as is the
initial 4Mb-6Mb-10Mb partition setup after a format.  ONLY the editor
has a problem.  Don't use it.

If you've got an SH-204 hard disk, and you used the editor to change,
add or remove partition entries, you should back the disk up and
re-partition it from one of the canned partitions from the menu.

I've fixed the problem in HDX, and we're testing the bejeezus out of
it before letting it out again.  It will be distributed *soon* on
Compuserve, on the Atari BSS, and to dealers.  [Not on usenet, though,
for obvious reasons.]

--

-Landon Dyer, Atari Corp.		        {sun,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer

/-----------------------------------------------\
\-----------------------------------------------/

uh@exunido.UUCP (10/13/86)

>it before letting it out again.  It will be distributed *soon* on
>Compuserve, on the Atari BSS, and to dealers.  [Not on usenet, though,
>for obvious reasons.]

What reasons, pardon. We developers here in Europe would be also very
interested in such updates, because the communication between Atari (US)
and for instance Atari (Germany) is not even poor, it is lousy.
We get the update here always half a year later or even longer.
Last week I heard, that the official version of GDOS is published to
the developers in the US over a month ago, and here in Germany:
The German subsidary even doesn't know, that something like that exists,
though Atari himself always proudly tells, that the German market is one of the
best for the ST series.
But the very best is:
About a year ago I was flamed very much by members of Atari (US) and other
people, because I have posted the CP/M-Emulator (here in Germany public
domain) to usenet. Now neil@atari says that Atari (US) will put this
emulator also into the public domain --- and now he asks us kids here
in Europe, how to put the utilities onto CP/M disks. You must decide at
Atari: if you want to take, you also must give. Some comment on this
from Atari (Neil, Landon) would be very nice.

Greetings

     Uwe Hoch
     Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
     4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
     E-mail address: uh@exunido.uucp, uh@exunido.bitnet

chabris@husc4.harvard.edu (christopher chabris) (10/14/86)

If the rumor about GDOS being distributed to developers in the US is true, I
haven't heard anything about it (yes, I am a registered developer).  My
understanding is that certain developers like MiGraph (EASY-DRAW) received
preliminary copies, but that it has not yet been generally released.  I do
recall reading a series of messages on the ATARIDEV Forum on CompuServe in
which several well-known developers complained about not having GDOS.  These
were Batteries Included and MichTron, I believe.  Come on guys, where's the
GDOS for the rest of us?

-- Christopher F. Chabris

   Dunster F-61
   Harvard University
   Cambridge, MA   02138

   [HOME: 15 Sterling Road, Armonk, NY, 10504]

   CompuServe: 73277,305
         UUCP: ...!harvard!husc4!chabris
         ARPA: chabris%husc4@harvard.ARPA
       BITNET: chabris@HARVUNXU.BITNET
         AT&T: (617) 498-2239

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (10/16/86)

> Last week I heard, that the official version of GDOS is published to
> the developers in the US over a month ago, and here in Germany:
> The German subsidary even doesn't know, that something like that exists,
> though Atari himself always proudly tells, that the German market is one of the
> best for the ST series.
>
> Greetings
>
>      Uwe Hoch
>      Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
>      4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
>      E-mail address: uh@exunido.uucp, uh@exunido.bitnet

Sorry Uwe,

GDOS has NOT been officially released to anyone.  There are one or two
unofficial versions floating about out there among a FEW developers.
Unfortunately, I am not one of the fortunate few.  Supposedly, GDOS will
be officially released any day now - I'll believe it when I see it.

Barry Locklear
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Denver, CO 80241
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!lbl

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (10/17/86)

In article <96100026@exunido.UUCP>, uh@exunido.UUCP writes:
> >it before letting it out again.  It will be distributed *soon* on
> >Compuserve, on the Atari BSS, and to dealers.  [Not on usenet, though,
> >for obvious reasons.]
>
> What reasons, pardon. We developers here in Europe would be also very
> interested in such updates

The reason is that Usenet is supposed to be used for non-commercial things.
We reasoned that the hard disk driver violates that.  Right or wrong?

> About a year ago I was flamed very much by members of Atari (US) and other
> people, because I have posted the CP/M-Emulator (here in Germany public
> domain) to usenet. Now neil@atari says that Atari (US) will put this
> emulator also into the public domain --- and now he asks us kids here
> in Europe, how to put the utilities onto CP/M disks.

Uwe, lets take off the gloves.  If you had not posted the program to the
net, we would have had a viable product that we could sell and support.  Our
eventual decision to make the CP/M emulator available as a free program was
based on the fact that everyone had it already anyway!  A big manual and
support will not be available, sorry, but we just can't afford it.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

bammi@case.CSNET ("Jwahar R. Bammi") (10/18/86)

Barry,
	GDOS is available, and has been for some time now to ANY registered
developer. If you want more info, just call Cindy Clavern @ Atari.

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (10/21/86)

In article <8610190113.AA06242@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, bammi@case.CSNET.UUCP writes:
> Barry,
> 	GDOS is available, and has been for some time now to ANY registered
> developer. If you want more info, just call Cindy Clavern @ Atari.

Jwahar,

I stand corrected, thanks.

Barry

uh@exunido.UUCP (10/24/86)

>In article <96100026@exunido.UUCP>, uh@exunido.UUCP writes:
>> >it before letting it out again.  It will be distributed *soon* on
>> >Compuserve, on the Atari BSS, and to dealers.  [Not on usenet, though,
>> >for obvious reasons.]
>>
>> What reasons, pardon. We developers here in Europe would be also very
>> interested in such updates
>
>The reason is that Usenet is supposed to be used for non-commercial things.
>We reasoned that the hard disk driver violates that.  Right or wrong?

What is commercial in posting an update of existing software? Do you want to
take money for this driver? If so, than you're right, it's commercial.

>> About a year ago I was flamed very much by members of Atari (US) and other
>> people, because I have posted the CP/M-Emulator (here in Germany public
>> domain) to usenet. Now neil@atari says that Atari (US) will put this
>> emulator also into the public domain --- and now he asks us kids here
>> in Europe, how to put the utilities onto CP/M disks.
>
>Uwe, lets take off the gloves.  If you had not posted the program to the
>net, we would have had a viable product that we could sell and support.  Our
>eventual decision to make the CP/M emulator available as a free program was
>based on the fact that everyone had it already anyway!  A big manual and
>support will not be available, sorry, but we just can't afford it.

May I remember you, that we were explicit allowed by Atari Germany to post
that CP/M emulator to USENET. Only two weeks after my posting, a new
release of the emulator was published here in Germany. In the meantime
there are n+1 new releases of the emulator (many corrected bugs, works
with ROM-TOS and so on). I have not posted even one of this new releases.
With the hard disk the current emulator still doesn't work. So I would say
IT IS STILL IN A NON-SELLABLE PRODUCT. And so the emulator is still
PD in Germany. But the newest news, a final version is on the schedule,
it will also support the hard disk and this product WILL BE SOLD (no PD)
here in Germany. And final, if we hadn't posted the emulator, you could be
shure any other her in Germany had done it. Today in the age of international
computer networks you cannot make a program PD in one country and sell it
in another country.

     Uwe Hoch
     Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
     4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
     E-mail address: uh@exunido.uucp, uh@exunido.bitnet

uh@exunido.UUCP (10/24/86)

Also from my last posting:

>We get the update here always half a year later or even longer.
>Last week I heard, that the official version of GDOS is published to
>the developers in the US over a month ago, and here in Germany:
>The German subsidary even doesn't know, that something like that exists,
>though Atari himself always proudly tells, that the German market is one of
>the best for the ST series.

And one of the responses:

>/***** exunido:net.micro.at16 / ucbvax!bammi /  7:43 pm  Oct 18, 1986*/
>Subject: Re: Bug in HDX (SH-204 hard disk owners - (nf)
>
>Barry,
>        GDOS is available, and has been for some time now to ANY registered
>developer. If you want more info, just call Cindy Clavern @ Atari.

Where is your answer on this, Neil?!? Can you mail us a uudecoded version of
the GDOS update?

     Uwe Hoch