[net.micro.atari16] crummy Atari monitors.

MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (10/20/86)

Well, folks, I just picked up a brand-new SC1224 color monitor, to supplement
my trusty monochrome.  Now, one thing we all know is that the quality of
Atari's color monitor is excellent, right?  Wrong-o.  The quality of Atari's
color monitor WAS excellent.  The old, Panasonic-supplied monitor had
fantastic quality.  The new, Goldstar-supplied monitor is, to put it quite
bluntly, the pits.  The video quality is a disaster.  In medium-res, it
doesn't even look like the monitor is CAPABLE of handling the resolution.
Individual pixels are blurred, and the medium resolution display, in general,
looks like low-res looks on a TV set.  It looks even worse than an Amiga in
80-column mode, if such a thing is possible.

I've always thought that one of the Atari ST's chief advantages over other
computers was the great video it produces.  No more.  This monitor is
barely capable of handling 320x200, let alone 640.  Atari has made a major,
major mistake in switching suppliers.  They are being penny wise and pound
foolish, because this WILL hurt sales.  The computer looks a lot worse on
the Goldstar monitor.  If I were shopping for a new computer, I sure would
not buy one with such lousy video quality.  Thank heavens for my SM124.

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (10/20/86)

> Well, folks, I just picked up a brand-new SC1224 color monitor, to supplement
> ...  The new, Goldstar-supplied monitor is, to put it quite
> bluntly, the pits.  The video quality is a disaster.
> ...It looks even worse than an Amiga in
> 80-column mode, if such a thing is possible.

Thanks for this info.  I was agonizing over  whether to buy an Atari or Amiga.
I loved the old  Atari color monitors, but the built-in sound is also the pits.
The Amiga has reasonable sound and other interesting features, but the display
was not as good as the Atari.  (The price difference was not an overriding
concern.)  Now Atari has solved my problem.  I can my cake and eat it too!

Bye, bye Atari. Buy, buy Amiga.
--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

bammi@case.CSNET ("Jwahar R. Bammi") (10/24/86)

We have several old color monitors, several new color monitors and several
Ps 3000 (color with floppy drive built in). After reading your article
i went and took a closer look at them. Frankly, i find NO big difference.
I suspect that you have gotten a piece that is slightly misaligned or
something.
usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case
arpa:        bammi%case@csnet-relay
compuServe:  71515,155

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (10/25/86)

In article <633@ssc-bee.UUCP> eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:
>> Well, folks, I just picked up a brand-new SC1224 color monitor, to supplement
>> ...  The new, Goldstar-supplied monitor is, to put it quite
>> bluntly, the pits.  The video quality is a disaster.
>> ...It looks even worse than an Amiga in
>> 80-column mode, if such a thing is possible.

I would suggest that you get your monitor or console repaired.  I have one
of the new monitors and they don't look bad.  It looks a lot better than
IBM's monitors.  From the symptoms that you describe, it sure sounds like
the monitor or the console blanking is either missing or weak.

					Rich Andrews
					...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie