[net.sf-lovers] Canonical ?

jdecarlo@mitre.ARPA (06/26/85)

From: jdecarlo@mitre.ARPA

Jay Johannes writes:
>Hold on just a second, here. I have been reading over the list and
>am wondering if everybody knows what "canonical" means? Webster
>gives definitions of orthodox and simplest form. I take the word in
>context to mean that the author wanted those stories that have set
>the standards for the current state of science fiction. That is,
>those stories that have broken new ground in either plot or style.

My response is "hold on just a second yourself!"  First of all, let
me cite my Random House dictionary definition of canonical:
"authorized; recognized; accepted" i.e., the list is supposed to cover
SF novels that are widely recognized and accepted as (at least) good SF
(whatever that means).  This is, presumably, as opposed to someone
just picking out their favorite books and calling it The Nth Best Books.
If a *whole bunch* of people respond with *their* favorites, those with
a *lot* of votes might well have a basis for being called "recognized;
accepted" or "canonical".

Secondly, since when does orthodox and simplest form imply setting new
standards or breaking new ground?  To me it implies just the opposite.

Thirdly, I agree that recent novels are much less likely to be recognized
as canonical because they haven't been around long enough to qualify.

Fourthly, could anything coming from readers on this net *ever* be
considered canonical?  Would anyone *want* it to be so?

John "why is he so picky?" DeCarlo
 <jdecarlo@mitre>

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (07/03/85)

> From: jdecarlo@mitre.ARPA
>

> Jay Johannes writes:
> >Hold on just a second, here. I have been reading over the list and
> >am wondering if everybody knows what "canonical" means? Webster
> >gives definitions of orthodox and simplest form.
>
> My response is "hold on just a second yourself!"  First of all, let
> me cite my Random House dictionary definition of canonical:

I'm sorry, I just can't hold back any longer.

** FLAME WARNING **

Trying to determine what a word means by looking it up in
a Websters is almost as useful as trying to determine a
a politician's honesty by looking at the Gallop Poll.

** FLAME OFF **

Random House is better.  American Heritage is good.  The
Oxford English Dictionary is definitive.

			-- SKZB