[net.micro.atari16] REVIEW OF "WORD WRITER ST" WORD PROCESSOR

menton@v5130b.DECnet ("V5130B::MENTON") (10/27/86)

     Several  of  us  at  work  (and  home)  have  changed  word
processors  recently  from "1st Word" to "Word  Writer  ST",  by
Timeworks.    It  may  be  short  of  the  next-generation  word
processors  that  we're  waiting for,  but here's  some  of  its
features:

 1.  Pull-down menus.
 2.  Integrated 85,000 word spelling checker.   Checks a word at
     a time,  an entire document all at once, or continuously as
     you  enter text.   No info in the instructions  on  whether
     words can be added to the dictionary.   Not as versatile as
     Thunder!, but pretty good.
 3.  On-screen  special text:  underline,  italics,  super-  and
     subscripts, boldface, etc.
 4.  All of the other standard word processing features: cut and
     paste, find and replace, etc.
 5.  Editable printer drivers for many printers.
 6.  Reformats text by paragraph or by entire document  reliably
     and  easily.   For example,  change line length with  mouse
     pointer  at the top of the screen,  reformat  document:  it
     works!   I never could get this to work in 1st Word  (maybe
     it was just me).
 7.  Ability to imbed printer control codes, which are hidden in
     the  text on the monitor (but can be displayed by  clicking
     on a check mark in the left border).
 8.  ASCII save to disk.
 9.  Up to 4 files may be simultaneously opened.
10.  Easy out-denting (as this text is done).
11.  Virtually  all word processing commands are displayed in  3
     rows  on the bottom of the monitor screen.   Typically  one
     would leave only the lowest row showing (which defines  the
     10  function  keys),  but  the text window  can  always  be
     changed to a smaller vertical size to expose the other  two
     rows.  This greatly reduces trips to the instruction manual
     for info on infrequently-used features.
12.  Number  of pages,  line count,  word count,  and  free  RAM
     displayed on demand.
13.  Hard drive compatible.
14.  Outliner capability with up to 5 levels.
15.  Integration with Data Manager ST and Swiftcalc ST,  also by
     Timeworks.   Data  Manager ST seems to have  data  graphing
     capabilities that go beyond those of V.I.P.,  but otherwise
     we have no experience with these data base and  spreadsheet
     programs.

     We  like it.   I recommend it for consideration as your  ST
word processor.  I have no affiliation with Timeworks, or anyone
else in the computer or software industries.

                                   Bob Menton
                                   MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

------

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (10/28/86)

In an article, "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> writes:

>     Several  of  us  at  work  (and  home)  have  changed  word
>processors  recently  from "1st Word" to "Word  Writer  ST",  by
>Timeworks.    It  may  be  short  of  the  next-generation  word
>processors  that  we're  waiting for,  but here's  some  of  its
>features:
>
> 7.  Ability to imbed printer control codes, which are hidden in
>     the  text on the monitor (but can be displayed by  clicking
>     on a check mark in the left border).
>     We  like it.   I recommend it for consideration as your  ST
>word processor.  I have no affiliation with Timeworks, or anyone
>else in the computer or software industries.

   This is nice, but I'm still looking for a word-processing program which
I can give enough information about my printer to have it reliably
justify text when I use my printer's proportionial font(s).  Can it do
that?  I realize that this isn't a simple thing to do (a company I worked
for which had their own laser printer (with proportional fonts) and their
own word-processor couldn't handle it), but it'd be necessary for any
non-trivial applications.  Actually, will (does) GDOS have this ability?
(It sure would be nice to have a *full* GEM...)
--

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (10/30/86)

Right justification with proportional fonts in a printer is best done by the
printer.  You will have to find out what the escape codes are for setting
left and right margins and for selecting right justification, and embed these
in your text.

If your printer does not support right justification, it will be a real "bear"
to implement, because the printer drive will have to know exactly how wide
each character is.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa