[net.micro.atari16] MicroEmacs 3.7i

Wayne%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Wayne McGuire) (10/13/86)

Three questions regarding MicroEmacs 3.7i:

     (1) What commands will the Parameters Box accept when opening the
program?

     (2) In MicroEmacs 3.6, the command ^X C opened a path to an
MS-DOSlike command processor called COMMAND.TOS.  In the new version,
trying to invoke the command processor produces the warning, "Not in
TOS."  Is this easily fixable?

     (3) Is it possible to store default settings for mode, fill
column, etc. in an init file (perhaps the rc file)?

Thanks,

Wayne McGuire
(wayne@oz.ai.mit.edu)

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (10/14/86)

> Three questions regarding MicroEmacs 3.7i:
>
>      (1) What commands will the Parameters Box accept when opening the
> program?

	emacs {options} <filelist>

where options may be:

-v		all the following files are in view mode (read only)
-e		all the following files can be edited
-g<n>		go directly to line <n> of the first file
-s<string>	go to the end of the first occurance of <string>
		in the first file

<sfile>	execute macro file <sfile> instead of the
		standard startup file

and <filelist> is a list of files to be edited.

for example:

	emacs start1.cmd -g56 test.c -v head.h def.h

>      (2) In MicroEmacs 3.6, the command ^X C opened a path to an
> MS-DOSlike command processor called COMMAND.TOS.  In the new version,
> trying to invoke the command processor produces the warning, "Not in
> TOS."  Is this easily fixable?

if someone will supply me with the SOURCE to a good cli, i'll include it in
the next release
>      (3) Is it possible to store default settings for mode, fill
> column, etc. in an init file (perhaps the rc file)?

yes, stuff them into the emacs.rc file, take a look at the sample one i
included in the posting of 3.6

if you don't have it, send me email and i'll send you the doc package

--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (10/16/86)

More questions regarding shell escapes:

In 3.7i, M-X ! prompts for a command to send to a CLI.  It seems to do
something, but not very useful.  Why do you have to know which CLI is
going to get the command?  Even being able to do M-X ! dir would be
quite useful to me, and COMMAND.TOS from the developers kit does that
(admittedly, that's about all it does, but...)

-Eric

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (10/18/86)

> More questions regarding shell escapes:
>
> In 3.7i, M-X ! prompts for a command to send to a CLI.  It seems to do
> something, but not very useful.  Why do you have to know which CLI is
> going to get the command?  Even being able to do M-X ! dir would be
> quite useful to me, and COMMAND.TOS from the developers kit does that
> (admittedly, that's about all it does, but...)
>
> -Eric

ok, how bout a compromise, if a command.tos exists it is executed,
otherwise the command (request) is ignored ????
--
----

rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk (Robert Hamilton) (10/30/86)

In article <414@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric Olson) writes:
>More questions regarding shell escapes:
>
>In 3.7i, M-X ! prompts for a command to send to a CLI.  It seems to do
>something, but not very useful.

The "shell-command" (^X!) in the latest version of ue3.7
seems buggy. If you try (say) ^X! then "make.prg" you get a bus error.
(Using MONST which came over the recently I found the bombing code
was caused by reading a NULL pointer) .

Strangely though if you first try ^X! then just <SPACE> you
get back to u-emacs and subsequent ^X! 's work properly !!

That aside this version is *REALLY REALLY* good.
(but I cant get the ^X# and ^X@ commands to work. are they supposed to?)

I've put 3.6 on our VAX as an alternative to VI for our users
 (It dos'nt give the load overhead that GNU emacs does!)
I'd like to put on 3.7 .
Any chance of a sources posting of 3.7 ???

--
JANET:  rh@uk.ac.paisley.cs
EMAIL:	rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk		| Post: Paisley College