[net.micro.atari16] What works under Magic

fouts@AMES-NAS.ARPA (10/10/86)

Since so many people have asked what does/doesn't work under magic sac,
I am going to post the following rather than waiting until I have my
own list together.  I will follow this up with my list, as soon as I
have one. (:-)

This list is abstracted from the readme which comes with version 2 of
Magic Sac.  I have not edited what's here, I have only removed portions
of the readme which don't have to do with the list.  I have not run
most of this stuff myself, and can't vouch for it.  Right now, the
only thing I can vouch for is FreeTerm 1.8, which definitely does work.

Marty

KNOWN BUGS:

                MacWrite: (2.2 / 4.5)

        MacWrite crashes the system. We are working hard to fix this.
We are most of the way there (for instance, it prints), however,
the authors did not follow developer's guidelines, and it's tricky.
We don't think holding up this release for the fix is a good idea.

                Switcher:

        Because so many people want Switcher, we are attempting to
work around it some direct hardware references in it which otherwise
make it fail. Look for it fairly soon.

                Finder 1.1g

        Finder 1.1g actually may work better for you than 4.1; 4.1
seems to have some bad effects on application software. As an example,
Zork III works under 1.1.g, but not under 4.1.

        There is one known bug in 1.1g: if you open the trashcan,
then click on the menu bar, the system dies. Fix: don't do this. This
bug does not apply to 1.0 or 4.1.

                List of Works / Doesn't Work Software

                        Revision 2.00, 10/1/86

        Some of the "Works" software has been extensively tested;
others, just basically booted and briefly tested. However, we feel
the list may be helpful to you nonetheless.

        Please help us keep it up to date and to expand it.

        We will periodically upload it to Compuserve and BIX.

                                WORKS
                                -----
Apple Finder 1.0
Apple Finder 1.1g
Apple Finder 4.1   (note: may fail on 128K size inconsistently, see note)
Apple MacPaint 1.5 (note: 1.3 has a bug in FatBits, fixed in 1.5)
Apple Edit Oct. 22/1984
Apple MacDraw 1.9
Apple MacProject 1.0
Apple REDIT (6/86 update)
Apple Disk Utility (5/85 update)

Aldus: Pagemaker (only a non-protected version, not yet available)

Arrays / Continental Software: The Home Accountant V. 1.03

Assimilation: RAMDISK program.

Chang Labs: R&R Ledger system

Desktop Software: 1st Base V1.01

Dreams of the Phoenix: Freeterm 1.6, 1.8. NOTE: Use these to modem with.

Bishop Graphics: Quik-Circuit (PC Design package)

Haba Systems: Habaword 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 (very nice word processor)

Infocom: Zork III. Note: works well under Finder 1.0, not so well under 4.1.

Main Street Software: Main Street Filer V. 1.1

Manhattan Graphics' Ready-Set-Go V2.1

Megahaus: Megafiler V1.01
Megahaus: MegaMerge 2.00

Megamax C (cc, link, sieve demonstration, rmaker)

Microsoft BASIC 1.01 (decimal and binary versions)
Microsoft BASIC 2.00 (decimal and binary versions)
Microsoft Excel (only a non-protected version, not yet available)

Software Arts: TK! Solver V TK-1 (5R)

                        Doesn't Work
                        ------------

Apple Switcher 3.0, 3.3, 5.0b1. zerostore at d21a.
Apple ResEdit (6/86) after B eject; (a4) zerostore.
Apple Fedit (John Mitchell); zerostore on initial launch.
Apple MacTerminal 2.00 (40 0008 test) (direct rom access)

Hayes Smartcom 2.0: bf fff9 at 10252; (direct serial chip access).

Microsoft Word: Zerostore at f31ca.

Penguin: Transylvania. 01650004 at ff512.

        See also notes in main text.

        More than likely, some of these failures are due to subtle
copy protection schemes.

----------

BillHolland.ES@XEROX.COM (10/29/86)

How about a update on the Magic Sac.

Bill

pete@utcsscb.UUCP (10/31/86)

In article <861028-163116-1001@Xerox> BillHolland.ES@XEROX.COM.UUCP writes:
>How about a update on the Magic Sac.
>
>Bill

	Hi!
	I've had the Magic Sac since very soon after it came out. Version
2.00 of the driver software is now available, and improves things somewhat.
	Do not get me wrong. Everything does not work on the Cartridge, and
if you have a specific program in mind, CHECK FIRST (mail me. I can probably
help you out.) The version 2.00 driver software cures the serial port troubles
that plagued the earlier version. I know of 2 terminal programs that work with
the Sac. Freeterm, and TermWorks. These are both shareware. ie. if you use it
pay for it. Both of these programs are faily simplistic, but do have good
downloading capabilities. Unfortunately, Red Rider does not work.

	Other software that works (or seems to!):

	MacPaint, MacDraw, Redit, Edit, Finder (4.1 and earlier)
	Basic, JoyPaint, ClipArt Effects, certain RamDisks, Font Librarian,
	Iago (a game), Wizards Fire, Daleks II
	Most DA's that I have found.

	Major Dissapointments (didn't work):
	ResEdit, Fedit, Wizardry (boo hoo!), Fortran (My transfer may not
	have worked properly), MDS Assembler, Finder 5.3 etc, Rmaker,
	MacWrite (Dave Small is working on this) MacWord.

	Also note another shortcoming of the system. In order to easily use
any printing functions of these programs, you must have either a working
printer driver for your Atari style printer FOR THE MAC, or an imagewriter
(this is by far the simplest way, but it is a pain to keep unhooking it
from you Mac :-) In order to help alleviate this problem, I have written
an Imagewriter -> Epson printer code translator. All I have to do now is
hook it into the driver software. I'll let you know how it goes.

	One Interesting Aspect of the Cartridge is that it gives you a
chance to easily compare the software aspects of the two systems without
having the hardware get in the way. As a rule, and to my own great surprise,
I very much prefer running under GEM than the Finder. The Finder is *very*
slow, requires excessive disk swaps given a one drive system, and takes
forever to load in desk accessories when you need them. It does have a much
more flexible memory allocation system, but you pay heavily for it in speed.
	As for drop down menues vs pull down menues, this is *definitely* a
matter of preferance (good religeous war topic!). I much prefer a well thought
out GEM desktop arrangment to the Finders slowness. While I'm on the topic,
does anybody know whether GDOS changes the GEM desktops features at all?

	Anyways, Summary:
	If you want to have access to Mac software, check first, but the
Magic Sac is probably a good way to go. If you are looking for a more
powerfull programming environment, check into a Good CLI before going to
the Magic Cartridge.

					Thanks for reading my wordyness
					Pete
Pete Santangeli