[net.micro.atari16] INFO-ATARI16 Digest V86 #01

INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU (Info-Atari Digest) (10/31/86)

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, October 31, 1986   Volume 86 : Issue 01

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                  Intersect RAMDISK and Free Memory
                      1040 & composite monitors
                       Re: Megamax update query
                Re: Lotsa Questions.. (really: modems)
               Epson DS disk drive upgrade news and ??
                      Re: copy protection flame
                               UNITERM
                Beckmeyer's C shell/many same letters
                    Re: 520 ST memory map request
                             ST problems
                        Killer.prg, uuencoded
                         RAM disk, uuencoded
         Re: New way to post binaries - discussion on format
            Re: Degas Elite, Resource Construction Editors
     [kushnier@NADC: Degas Elite, Resource Construction Editors]
       Re: Need Printer Driver for Epson LQ-800 24 pin printer
                    Re: Degas Elite Upgrade Policy
                              signing up
                    Re: 1040 & composite monitors
                      Re: What works under Magic
              Re: UNITERM V1.5C PART 2 OF 4 (UNITERM.A)
                   Re: Lotsa Questions About 1040's
                       Re: Printer Problems :-(
                REVIEW OF WORDWRITER ST WORD PROCESSOR
                           c compilers (ST)

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 20:48:18 est
From: Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa
Subject: Intersect RAMDISK and Free Memory

I just downloaded the intersect ram disk program from the atari bbs.
It seems to be a very good program, however, I am experiencing one
problem with it.

Most of the time, when you delete a drive, you get back all the ram
that the drive was using.  Sometimes, for unknown reasons, when a
ramdisk is deleted, not all of its memory is made available.

Anyone know anything about this?

Eric Bergman-Terrell

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 17:18:20 GMT
From: pc.ecn.purdue.edu!aa.ecn.purdue.edu!westerm@ee.ecn.purdue.edu  (Richard P Westerman)
Subject: 1040 & composite monitors
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Does anyone know for certain if a 1040 will output a color composite
signal? I know a 520 will (I have a friend with a 520 who hooks it up
to a composite monitor), but my 1040 doesn't seem to output composite,
even though the pin diagram in the back of the 1040 manual indicates
that it should. I read a short piece in Compute's ST magizine that
said 1040's don't have composite, only 520's do. My dealer doesn't
know. Help please -- my monochrome screen is extra sharp & nice, but I'd like
to see FujiBoink at least once on my own ST.

Whom: Rick Westerman                              Phone: +1-317-494-8341
Domain-type addressing:  westerm@aa.ecn.purdue.edu
Old-style UUCP address:  {decvax, ihnp4, seismo, ucbvax}!pur-ee!westerm
USPS: Ag Data Network, Smith Hall, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN 47907

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 15:39:04 GMT
From: ihnp4!inuxc!inuxj!wolenty@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (R Wolenty)
Subject: Re: Megamax update query
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> []
>
> Has anybody _received_ the updated Megamax C development system
> that is rumored to exist?  Please tell us what's fixed/added.
>
> - Moshe Braner

What version is the update?  I recently bought Megamax C and received
version 1.1.  Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it to for
differences.  If you have code containing examples of bugs in release
1.0 I'll be happy to compile under 1.1 and see if anything got fixed.

					Ron Wolenty

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 86 05:29:01 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: Lotsa Questions.. (really: modems)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

I hope this is not too commercial...

I have an Avatex 1200 and am quite happy.  But if you're still
shopping, I just got a catalog from Priority One Electronics
where they have a tiny thing (a wee bit larger than the usual
AC adaptor) that plugs into an AC socket and has phone and RS232
connectors on it.  It is claimed to be a Hayes compatible auto-dial
auto-answer 300/1200 baud modem, complete with speaker.

I suppose that's one of the new modem designs using the new
1200-baud modem-on-a-chip chip.  Expect others soon, and
probably price drops...

They sell it now for $129 (RS232 cable not included).

Their address is:

	21622 Plummer St.
	Chatsworth, CA 91311
	(800) 423-5922

But then, my Avatex 1200 has DIP switches for all kinds of settings,
and also has nifty LEDs and an on/off switch... - all missing from
that little thing...

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 86 06:59:55 GMT
From: ihnp4!drutx!tlz@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (ZrustTL)
Subject: Epson DS disk drive upgrade news and ??
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

<eat it, sucker>

Just thought I'd let you know about the SF354 upgrade to DS
that I just did.  Since I haven't seen much about this on the net
either 1) no one cares or 2) not many folks have done it yet.
Assuming #2, I will proceed.

For those of you that don't know, upgrading your SF354 to DS
consists of replacing the drive mechanism inside the disk
drive box.  The replacement drive fits the same physical and
electrical interfaces (almost), so you basically just pull out
the old one and stick in the new one and your done.

I ordered the Epson double-sided drive mechanism from B&C Computervisions,
3283 Kifer Rd., Santa Clara, CA 95051 (408)749-1004 for $100
plus $5 s/h.  Just ask for the 'double sided Epson drive upgrade
for the ST' and they will figure out just what you need (none
of this part or stock number stuff, please).  I got it about
5 days later.  It came with no specs or anything of that sort
(certainly no instructions for installing it in the SF354 box),
just a little drive mechanism in an antistatic bag.

WARNING!  THIS IS A CLEAR-CUT WARRANTY VOIDER (oh, come
on, everyone can figure that out, can't they?)!  I
TAKE NO REPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU DO TO YOUR
SYSTEM, BODY, PLACE OF RESIDENCE OR ANY OTHER FACET
IN THIS LIFE OR ANY OTHER LIFE, PAST OR FUTURE THAT COULD
POSSIBLY BECOME INVOLVED WITH THIS MODIFICATION!
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You'll have to dissassemble your SF354 by removing all seven
of the screws on the bottom.  Note that three of these are
machine screws and the four corner ones are self-tapping kinds
(remember where they go).  Next, unplug the ribbon and four
conductor cables from the drive mechanism.  Remove two
screws holding the shield to the drive mechanism and slide
the shield off the back end.  If you are adventurous, throw
away your old mechanism now or sell it to your hacker friend
for $120.

The drive has two obvious differences from the Atari (Sony?)
unit you are replacing.  The busy light is on the wrong
side, the front bezel is the wrong color (black) and the
release button is much too large to fit through the front cover
on the SF354 box.  Don't despair!  Simply pop off the button
by prying in the two tiny hold down tabs on the back side of the button
and put it on the Epson unit after removing its button in a similar
fashion.  Next, remove the front bezels on both drives by loosening
two tiny phillips head screws visible just inside the disk opening.
You can swap these, too (isn't standardization wonderful?}.

The tricky part (if you care about seeing a busy light and you
don't want to drill peep-holes in your SF354 case) is moving the
busy LED to the other side.  I did it by unsoldering the small shield
covering most of the LED, unsoldering the LED (note the lead polarity),
attaching two small wires to the LED holes, attaching the other
ends of the wires to the proper LED leads (think of this as an
LED extension cord) and gluing the LED near the plastic light
guide Atari uses to couple their LED to the outside world.
Since the Epson LED is smaller, light output will be lower than it
used to be, but still quite visable.  The LED from the Atari drive could
be used but I'm sure you would have difficulty squeezing it in
since there are other components on the PC board in this location.

My drive had an option jumper in the DS1 position.  Pull this out
(fingers will do) and reinstall it in the DS0 position.  There
are other options which I didn't fool with (BUT SEE THE NEXT
PARAGRAPH).  Put the shield back on, cables back into the
mechanism, screws back in the case and you're set!

Well almost.  I've found that unless I have a disk,
any disk (formatted or not) or probably any other flat, hard, 3.5"
square object in drive "B" (the Epson) when booting, the OS
doesn't recognize it at all.  Perhaps there is some sort of
"disk in position" signal that should be disabled by an option
of some sort?  Perhaps the drive is internally disabled when the
disk is removed.  PLEASE post any fixes you know of for this
unfortunate condition.

Good luck!
--
Terry L. Zrust, AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
MS 30L49,  11900 North Pecos Street, Denver, CO 80234

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 86 06:03:07 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: copy protection flame
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

At the risk of being repetitive:

	Before I shell out money for ANY piece of software, I find
out whether it is "copy protected".  If it is, I DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!

FLAME ON:

I will not buy a car with that thin spare wheel and a 55 mph mechanical
limit, nor an insurance policy where other drivers are excluded.

I will not buy a book printed in ink that is visible only under a
special lamp.

I will not rent a house with limits imposed in the lease on guests
staying overnight.

And I will not pay for software that will not run off a hard disk,
a ram disk, and a backup.

FLAME OFF.

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 06:50:54 GMT
From: iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu  (Bill Dorsey)
Subject: UNITERM
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

<< gulp >>

When Uniterm was originally posted, our site only received the last two
parts.  I figured I wasn't missing much, so didn't say anything.  But in
light of all the recent praise of it, I would appreciate it if somebody
could send me a copy of it or possibly tell me where I can rcp it from.
Thanks in advance.
| Bill Dorsey                                                                 |
|                      'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'        |
|                                            - Albert Einstein                |
| ARPA : iarocci@eneevax.umd.edu                                              |
| UUCP : [seismo,allegra,rlgvax]!umcp-cs!eneevax!iarocci                      |

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 30 Oct 86 18:50 N
From:        <TOESTAG%HGRRUG5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:  Beckmeyer's C shell/many same letters
To:  info-atari16@su-score.arpa

Hi all!

I have Beckmeyer's C-shell but I can't run any programs with it. Just typing
the program's name without the extension doesn't work.
Can anyone help me? A good summary of the commands I can give is also welcome.

By the way, why do I get multiple letters with exactly the same contents from
this discussion group? Can anyone do something about it?

Agus Judistira
TOESTAG@HGRRUG5

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 17:20:19 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: 520 ST memory map request
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

If anybody has a good "what's where in the ST" list, please
post it!  We types who like to peek and poke and such really
need it!

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 86 01:34:18 GMT
From: zen!buddy.Berkeley.EDU!c9c-bg@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (James A. Landay)
Subject: ST problems
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Has anyone had the problem of their ST upon booting (TOS in ROM) saying
that every disk was empty. (i.e. 0K in 0 folders).  Mine is doing this.
I have a single sided drive.
Help!!!

James Landay
c9c-bg@buddy.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 18:38:41 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Killer.prg, uuencoded
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

Due to the large number of requests for HTB (hex to binary),
I will post it (uuencoded) unless I get significant oppostion
(as in: "please wait for organization of mod.sources.atari16",
or "please e-mail it to the 17 people who asked for it").

As practice, here's a uuencoding of the program that causes others
to quit upon Control-Alternate-BothShifts-Return:

----------- cut here ----------------------------------------------
begin 644 KILLER.PRG
M8!H```!P``````````````````````````#__TAZ`!@_/``F3DY<CT)G+SP`x
M``(`/SP`,4Y!2'H`""'?`1A.=0@7``5F%`PX``\.&V4,"-<`!2]\`/P*6@`"x
&3OD`_"@<x
`
end
-------------- and here -------------------------------------------

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 18:49:22 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: RAM disk, uuencoded
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

--------------------- cut here ----------------------
begin 644 RD576.PRG
M8!H```(*````%```!E```````````````````"!\```""F$&3OD````N<@0Bx
M?```!B(RV%')__PB/````@IPR$Y",#D```9,3G4J3RY\```(:BIM``0@+0`,x
MT*T`%-"M`!S0O````0`O`"\-/P`_/`!*3D'?_`````Q"IS\\`"!.05R/(\``x
M``9F*'P```0V*GP```0N(E4,40(`9W0_//__/SP`"TY-6(_`O`````]F`G`)x
M2$`B`'0*Y*F2?``4,\$```%0(@#2N0``!#+2O``"``"RE&QTD921E2/Y```$x
M<@```?HC^0``!'8```(&(_D```1^```"`"!\```!0B)5?G\BV%'/__P@>0``x
M``1.T"(5TKP````@(\$```1R(A72O````#(CP0``!'8B%=*\````$B/!```$x
M?C`Y```$Q`C```,SP```!,0O.0``!F8_/``@3D%<CT)G3D$"```"!```!P`%x
M``8`$@'L```,;P`#``1F``"B<`!.=0QO``,`!&8``(X@.0``!"Y.=0QO``,`x
M#F8``(@@.0``!"[0O````@`@0")O``9P`#(O``QP">&AT<$P+P`*)`D(`@``x
M9B@(+P````5F`L%),CP`#R#9(-D@V2#9(-D@V2#9(-E1R?_N4X!FY$YU""\`x
M```%9@+!23(\`#\0V1#9$-D0V1#9$-D0V1#94<G_[E.`9N1.=4[Y`````$[Yx
M`````$[Y`````````````````````````````````````@@(#`H*.#P@"@H&x
M4@!+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+x
*2TM+2TM+2TM+2TM+x
`
end
------------- and here ---------------
(this is the 576K version, i.e. you need a 1 Mbyte machine).

- Moshe Braner

BTW - I did not write this program!

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 17:58:44 GMT
From: braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (braner)
Subject: Re: New way to post binaries - discussion on format
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

[]

By now I have a working AL RAM-resident program that, upon Alt-Help,
saves the screen in a file in a format that is BOTH compressed and
in a text (modem-able) form.  Doing both in one algorithm
is not only convenient, it is essential for getting the most compact
final product.  A typical desktop yields a TEXT FILE of about 7600
chars: 25% of the length of the bit map!

(Details on the coding algorithm used do not belong here,
It is similar to uuencode, but does not
use space chars nor is it sensitive to added/deleted control
chars or spaces.)

I am now working on a decoding program, to view such files, and on
a translator from the compressed format to Postscript (my intended
use of this whole mess is to send ST graphics to be printed on a
remote Laserwriter...).  I'll post it all when done.

Problems:

The coding program (I call it scode, or perhaps sencode?)
works fine from the desktop, but hangs if Alt-Help is pressed inside
Micro-C-Shell.  Why?  (When first run, the program replaces the screen
dump vector at $502, then does Ptermres() to stay in RAM.)
(I also bite hard and do OS TRAP calls from my code, even though it
is called from the Alt-Help interrupt handler.  I don't really have
a choice, do I?)

Also:  At the end of the ROM screen dump routine, it has:

	ADDQ.L	#4,A7
	RTS

If I end my dump routine with the same or with just plain RTS, it
works the same.  What's going on?

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Moshe Braner

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 16:46:59 GMT
From: ihnp4!drutx!druhi!lbl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (LocklearLB)
Subject: Re: Degas Elite, Resource Construction Editors
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <154@ritcv.UUCP>, ref0070@ritcv.UUCP writes:
> I just noticed that a local computer store has Degas Elite for $79.00.
> I thought I remembered that Antic or somebody had said that regestered
> owners of Degas would be able to upgrade for half price or at least get
> some type of discount. The local store hadn't heard of this (no big
> surprise). Does anyone know about Batteries Included's policy?

Just send in your original Degas disk with original label, a check for $40, and
your registration card (if you haven't already done so ).  Mention in a short
note that your wish to take advantage of the DEGAS Elite upgrade for the
Atari ST.

I'm waiting with bated breath for my upgrade, I just sent in for it yesterday.

Barry Locklear
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Denver, CO 80241
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!lbl

------------------------------

Date: Thu 30 Oct 86 22:02:48-PST
From:  Info-Atari Moderator <G.ABRAMS@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: [kushnier@NADC: Degas Elite, Resource Construction Editors]
To: info-atari16@Score.Stanford.EDU

Date: 30 Oct 1986 15:40:11-EST
From: kushnier@NADC
To: info-atari16-request@score, info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Degas Elite, Resource Construction Editors

Batteries Included will update DEGAS to DEGAS Elite for $40.00
Check the Discounter Mail Order houses for some heavy discounts!

Ron Kushnier
kushnier@nadc.arpa

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 86 16:01:03 EST
From:           Peter Jaspers-Fayer
Subject:      Re: Need Printer Driver for Epson LQ-800 24 pin printer
To:  info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I got 3 copies of that (and 2 of APL and 3 of several others).  The
duplicates all have the same originating timestamp ("Date:"), to the the
second, so the authors are not at fault. I was hoping that this problem
was resolved last month. "find that computer and shoot it" - Does anyone
know who's mailer is at fault here?  Did any non-BITNET sites get
duplicates?
/PJ

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 12:16:08 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utcsri!utegc!utai!garfield!dalcs!silvert@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: Degas Elite Upgrade Policy
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

To get the upgrade send your original Degas disk and $40 U.S. or
$50 in Canada to BI.  Degas Elite sells for just under $100 in Canada,
and Degas for about $55, so the upgrade is about half-price, and the
total cost is comparable to the new cost.

------------------------------

Date:      30 October 86 17:00 EST
From:  hacee%uno.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  info-atari16@su-score
Subject:   signing up

Dear Atari16,

This is my first attempt at getting on a mailing list on arpanet and so I'm
not too sure how to go about it.  In fact I'm not too sure how these
lists work but I'm willing to try it.

I own an atari 520st which I've had since july '85.  It's my second one
actually (the first one, may it rest in peace, was replaced by atari
last month for $95.00).

If there are programs that I can down load I'm hoping that I can find out how
to do this.

                        Howard chandler
                        University of New Orleans

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 86 00:19:13 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utcs!utcsscb!pete@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: 1040 & composite monitors
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

	If the 1040 can't (which I am lead to believe) could somebody
let us know if there is at least a board, or kit, or set of instructions
or something to let us do it ourselves?

					Thanks,
					Pete

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 86 00:09:57 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utcs!utcsscb!pete@seismo.css.gov
Subject: Re: What works under Magic
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <861028-163116-1001@Xerox> BillHolland.ES@XEROX.COM.UUCP writes:
>How about a update on the Magic Sac.
>
>Bill

	Hi!
	I've had the Magic Sac since very soon after it came out. Version
2.00 of the driver software is now available, and improves things somewhat.
	Do not get me wrong. Everything does not work on the Cartridge, and
if you have a specific program in mind, CHECK FIRST (mail me. I can probably
help you out.) The version 2.00 driver software cures the serial port troubles
that plagued the earlier version. I know of 2 terminal programs that work with
the Sac. Freeterm, and TermWorks. These are both shareware. ie. if you use it
pay for it. Both of these programs are faily simplistic, but do have good
downloading capabilities. Unfortunately, Red Rider does not work.

	Other software that works (or seems to!):

	MacPaint, MacDraw, Redit, Edit, Finder (4.1 and earlier)
	Basic, JoyPaint, ClipArt Effects, certain RamDisks, Font Librarian,
	Iago (a game), Wizards Fire, Daleks II
	Most DA's that I have found.

	Major Dissapointments (didn't work):
	ResEdit, Fedit, Wizardry (boo hoo!), Fortran (My transfer may not
	have worked properly), MDS Assembler, Finder 5.3 etc, Rmaker,
	MacWrite (Dave Small is working on this) MacWord.

	Also note another shortcoming of the system. In order to easily use
any printing functions of these programs, you must have either a working
printer driver for your Atari style printer FOR THE MAC, or an imagewriter
(this is by far the simplest way, but it is a pain to keep unhooking it
from you Mac :-) In order to help alleviate this problem, I have written
an Imagewriter -> Epson printer code translator. All I have to do now is
hook it into the driver software. I'll let you know how it goes.

	One Interesting Aspect of the Cartridge is that it gives you a
chance to easily compare the software aspects of the two systems without
having the hardware get in the way. As a rule, and to my own great surprise,
I very much prefer running under GEM than the Finder. The Finder is *very*
slow, requires excessive disk swaps given a one drive system, and takes
forever to load in desk accessories when you need them. It does have a much
more flexible memory allocation system, but you pay heavily for it in speed.
	As for drop down menues vs pull down menues, this is *definitely* a
matter of preferance (good religeous war topic!). I much prefer a well thought
out GEM desktop arrangment to the Finders slowness. While I'm on the topic,
does anybody know whether GDOS changes the GEM desktops features at all?

	Anyways, Summary:
	If you want to have access to Mac software, check first, but the
Magic Sac is probably a good way to go. If you are looking for a more
powerfull programming environment, check into a Good CLI before going to
the Magic Cartridge.

					Thanks for reading my wordyness
					Pete
Pete Santangeli
pete@utcsscb.UUCP
psantangeli on BIX

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 07:31:30 cst
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
To: info-atari16@su-score.ARPA
Subject: loading accessories

There's been a lot of talk lately about loading accessories at boot time.  Un-
less something has changed recently, I thought someone had said there is
virtually no way to unload an accessory once its memory has been allocated.
Has this changed?  If not, and if people are talking about being presented a
menu of the available desk accessories and being able to choose from them at
boot, you want ACC_LOAD.PRG, available from Atari Base.  I've got it on my host,
so if you want to try it, drop me a note and I'll UUENCODE and send it to you.

Jim
Moore@NCSC.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 86 05:10:34 PST (Friday)
Subject: Re: UNITERM V1.5C PART 2 OF 4 (UNITERM.A)
From: mnetor!utzoo!utcs!utcsscb!pete@seismo.css.GOV
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.EDU

	It seems that most of Canada got a truncated copy of Uniterm.
Maybe an Ontario, Quebec only posting would be enough?
					Pete @utcsscb
					psantangeli on BIX

------------------------------

To: rutgers!husc6!husc2!grunau@titan.arc.nasa.gov (grunau)
Subject: Re: Lotsa Questions About 1040's
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 10:11:10 EST
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA

Re: the Avatex modems.  I have the plain 1200 which cost $80.  I have been
completely satisfied with its performance, having had zero problems with line
hits except when my wife picks up another extension!  I would say its
performance has been EXCELLENT compared to any of the various other modems I
have used over the years.

I have not tried running a BBS, but is it not true that you CAN hang up the
phone on the Avatex by dropping Data Terminal Ready?  That might require a
software patch in some BBS software, but I don't think it should be stated
that the Avatex "cannot be used to run a BBS".  It does sense Carrier Detect
and passes this information to the inteface, and it will (I think) drop
carrier and hang up the phone if you turn off DTR.  What it WON'T do but both
the Hayes and the 1200HC Avatex WILL do is interpret a character string you
send over the data path as a command to hang up the phone.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 86 18:41:45 GMT
From: cbatt!ukma!ukecc!kenneth@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Kenneth Herron)
Subject: Re: Printer Problems :-(
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Sounds like your printer, your computer, and the dump program
are all set to do auto-linefeeds (that is, insert a linefeed after
each carriage return)...see if that feature is enabled in the printer
and printer driver; if it is, disable it and just let the program
do its own line feeds (which it seems to be doing jes fine)

--
Kenneth Herron

~~The opinions expressed herein are my own; no company, college, or     ~~
~~other organization with which I am associated has the slightest       ~~
~~interest in them...                                                   ~~
~~      								~~
~~   "That which cannot be overcome must be endured" -- net.auto motto  ~~

------------------------------

Date: 0  0 00:00:00 EDT
From: "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet>
Subject: REVIEW OF WORDWRITER ST WORD PROCESSOR
To: "info-atari16" <info-atari16@su-score>

     Several  of  us  at  work  (and  home)  have  changed  word
processors  recently  from "1st Word" to "Word  Writer  ST",  by
Timeworks.    It  may  be  short  of  the  next-generation  word
processors  that  we're  waiting for,  but here's  some  of  its
features:

 1.  Pull-down menus.
 2.  Integrated 85,000 word spelling checker.   Checks a word at
     a time,  an entire document all at once, or continuously as
     you  enter text.   No info in the instructions  on  whether
     words can be added to the dictionary.   Not as versatile as
     Thunder!, but pretty good.
 3.  On-screen  special text:  underline,  italics,  super-  and
     subscripts, boldface, etc.
 4.  All of the other standard word processing features: cut and
     paste, find and replace, etc.
 5.  Editable printer drivers for many printers.
 6.  Reformats text by paragraph or by entire document  reliably
     and  easily.   For example,  change line length with  mouse
     pointer  at the top of the screen,  reformat  document:  it
     works!   I never could get this to work in 1st Word  (maybe
     it was just me).
 7.  Ability to imbed printer control codes, which are hidden in
     the  text on the monitor (but can be displayed by  clicking
     on a check mark in the left border).
 8.  ASCII save to disk.
 9.  Up to 4 files may be simultaneously opened.
10.  Easy out-denting (as this text is done).
11.  Virtually  all word processing commands are displayed in  3
     rows  on the bottom of the monitor screen.   Typically  one
     would leave only the lowest row showing (which defines  the
     10  function  keys),  but  the text window  can  always  be
     changed to a smaller vertical size to expose the other  two
     rows.  This greatly reduces trips to the instruction manual
     for info on infrequently-used features.
12.  Number  of pages,  line count,  word count,  and  free  RAM
     displayed on demand.
13.  Hard drive compatible.
14.  Outliner capability with up to 5 levels.
15.  Integration with Data Manager ST and Swiftcalc ST,  also by
     Timeworks.   Data  Manager ST seems to have  data  graphing
     capabilities that go beyond those of V.I.P.,  but otherwise
     we have no experience with these data base and  spreadsheet
     programs.

     We  like it.   I recommend it for consideration as your  ST
word processor.  I have no affiliation with Timeworks, or anyone
else in the computer or software industries.

                                   Bob Menton
                                   MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 12:33 EST
From: PSIMON%PPC.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: c compilers (ST)
To: info-atari16@su-score.arpa

From: PSIMON%PPC.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Atari ST
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 11:53 EST
To: husc6!husc2!grunau@MIT-EDDIE.ARPA

JJMG--
    With regards to your inquiry about C compilers,etc. for the Atari ST,
there is a relatively thorough description/comparison of 4 C compilers
in the second issue of START (produced by ANTIC), I think. If you have
problems locating the issue, drop me an e-mail note and I will try to
get the exact date, etc. Warning! Most of these issues were disk magazines,
which cost $15. If you just want the magazine, I am not sure where you go.
Good luck.
--Pat Simon
  PSIMON%PPC.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

End of INFO-ATARI16 Digest