[net.sf-lovers] space "operas"

milne@uci-icse (05/22/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

  Would somebody please have pity and tell me what a space "opera" is supposed
  to be?  The only space opera I've ever heard of is "Aniara", by Blomdahl,
  and that because it was on the same record with the "2001" soundtrack.  I
  trust it is not Wagner's Valhalla elevated to literally heavenly heights, or
  Verdi or Donezetti re-staged with Saturn's rings as a backdrop.

  Acknowledging, then, that it probably has nothing to do with real opera,
  what is it?

  Thanks,
  Alastair Milne

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (05/23/85)

In article <2056@topaz.ARPA> milne@uci-icse writes:
>From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
>  Would somebody please have pity and tell me what a space "opera" is supposed
>  to be?  The only space opera I've ever heard of is "Aniara", by Blomdahl,

I believe the term as commonly used is related to the  term  "horse  opera"
that used to describe western TV shows and novels.  The implication is that
the only difference between the two genre is the level of technology  while
the plots and characters are otherwise interchangeable.

A classic example would probably be the  film  "Battle  Beyond  the  Stars"
which was a remake of "The Magnificent Seven" which in turn was a remake of
"The Seven Samurai".  Others would be "Outland" which was a remake of "High
Noon" and "Star Wars" which was at least inspired by "The Big Fortress".

"Opera" in this context implies a scenario with much action and passion but
little  real  substance,  as  with most classical operas. (Bet I catch some
flames for that one (-:{ ).
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (05/23/85)

In article <2056@topaz.ARPA> milne@uci-icse writes:
>From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
>

>  Would somebody please have pity and tell me what a space "opera" is supposed
>  to be?

>  Thanks,
>  Alastair Milne

Jeez, I almost hate to do it, but --

space opera is named by association with "horse opera", i.e. 2-reel
shoot'em-ups.  If a movie or story can be translated from SF to Bonanza
by word replacement of "phaser" with "Winchester" and "spaceship" with
"noon stage" -- then it is space opera.  The term has gottento be
extended to include most all mindless public-appeal SF, especially in
movies (not to mention the Star Wars flicks, which I persist in thinking
are not mindless); even the recent book "The Helmsman", which reads to
me like a translation of Alexander Kent imitating C.S. Forester.

Ghods know why 2-reel oaters became known as horse opera.

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/24/85)

 >Would somebody please have pity and tell me what a space
 >"opera" is supposed to be?

Westerns used to be called "horse operas" for reasons I am not sure.
It may be connected to the term "soap opera".  When a science fiction
story was clearly just a western (a horse opera), with a blaster
instead of a six-gun, aliens instead of indians, and a rocket instead
of a horse, it was called a "space opera," the space equivalent of a
horse opera.  I think it was F&SF -- in any case one of the science
fiction magazines of the '50s -- that had as part of an ad on the back
cover two stories, one a western one a space opera with the identical
plot.

 >The only space opera I've ever heard of is "Aniara", by
 >Blomdahl, and that because it was  on the same record with the
 >"2001" soundtrack.

I remember that record and the opera.  It was based on the epic poem by
Martinson.  Martinson won a Nobel Prize for  literature and ANIARA was
his most major work as I understand it.  He won a Nobel Prize in part
for writing science fiction.  The plot concerns a generation ship space
craft that became lost in space and is destined to wander eternally.
The music fits the story.  I have an Columbia Masterworks recording of
the whole opera, but have never had the patience to sit down and listen
to it.  Avon under their series Flair published the book a few years
back.

More than you wanted to know?

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (05/25/85)

Alastair Milne wants a definition of the term "Space Opera". I can do no
better than refer him to the introduction by noted SF author and bibliographer
Brian W. Aldiss, in his collection of such stories entitled "Space Opera"
(Doubleday, 1974). Some excerpts which may help clear up the issue:

"...Space opera was heady, escapist stuff, charging on without overmuch
regard for logic or literacy, while often throwing off great images,
excitements, and aspirations. Nowadays -- rather like grand opera -- it is
considered to be in decline, and is in the hands of imitators, or else has
evolved into sword-and-sorcery."

[On a definition of "space opera":]

"...The term is both vague and inspired, and must have been coined with both
affection and some scorn, analogously with soap opera and horse opera. And,
analogously with opera itself, space opera has certain conventions which are
essential to it ... Ideally, the Earth must be in peril, there must be a
quest and a man to match the mighty hour. That man must confront aliens and
exotic creatures. Space must flow past the ports like wine from a pitcher.
Blood must run down the palace steps, and ships launch out into the louring
dark. There must be a woman fairer than the skies and a villain darker than
a Black Hole. And all must come right in the end."

There follow several excellent examples of the sub-genre. If you do not
find this material sufficiently exciting (or perhaps outrageous, depending
on your taste), another Aldiss anthology, \\Galactic Empires// (St. Martin's,
1976), will lead you even farther in that dimension.

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (05/26/85)

> From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
>
>   Would somebody please have pity and tell me what a space "opera" is supposed
>   to be?
>
>   Acknowledging that it probably has nothing to do with real opera,
>   what is it?

  Probably one of a long series of responses.

  Space opera refers to the Western-in-Space genre typified by Buck Rogers,
Flash Gordon, Star Wars, et. al.  The term is related to soap opera and
horse opera (western).

--Steve Howard, aka Mr. Blore the DJ who would not die!
-- ...udenva!showard
--"You Earthlings are SO stupid"--Plan 9 from Outer Space

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (05/29/85)

[]
It seems to me that there are at least two schools of thought on the
subject of "space opera."
One school, the vocal majority, equates space opera with "horse opera" and
goes on to describe a hackneyed, western shoot-em-up plot with lots of
other negative, put-downish connotations.
On the other hand, I have always thought of the space opera as characterizing
that branch of SF where there is considerable action on a relatively large
canvas. To me some of the most rewarding and enjoyable stories would bear
the name space opera rather proudly. For example,
Pattern for Conquest, by George O. Smith, is certainly a classic in the genre.
Probably all of the stories of the immortal E.E.Smith, PhD.
The Foundation Series by Asimov.
Star Wars Trilogy

Some that would not qualify as space operas in my book:
2001 - action small scale and localized except for one sequence.
Most of the works of A.E. Van Voght.

Borderline examples:
Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers

What do you think?

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

peter@yetti.UUCP (Runge) (05/30/85)

In article <5872@duke.UUCP> crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) writes:

>Ghods know why 2-reel oaters became known as horse opera.
It is puzzling.  After all it was the cowboys that did the singing (who can
forget Gene doing "Tumbleweed", or Roy singing "Happy Trails"), not the
horses.
--

   Peter H. Roosen-Runge, Department of Computer Science, York University
                          Toronto (Downsview), Ontario

mary@bunkerb.UUCP (Mary Shurtleff) (05/31/85)

> On the other hand, I have always thought of the space opera as characterizing
> that branch of SF where there is considerable action on a relatively large
> canvas. To me some of the most rewarding and enjoyable stories would bear
> the name space opera rather proudly. For example,
> Pattern for Conquest, by George O. Smith, is certainly a classic in the genre.
> Probably all of the stories of the immortal E.E.Smith, PhD.
> The Foundation Series by Asimov.
> Star Wars Trilogy

I haven't read Pattern for Conquest, but I'll agree with you very strongly on
"Doc" Smith's work (the Lensman and Skylark series epitomize space opera to me).
I have to disagree on The Foundation Series, however.  While the environment is
large, lots happens, and it takes place over a long period of time, it is not
characterized by:

		A hero too good to be true (a la Kimball Kinnison)
		A hero's girlfried too good to be true (Clarissa MacDougall)
		Lots of space battles and blaster play (beams, rods, needles,
		and helices of force, plus trusty DeLameters)
		Supremely evil bad guys (what could be worse than a Plooran?)
		Space ships that get faster and more powerful with more
		outrageous weapons in each successive book/chapter.

The Foundation Series is much more idea-oriented than space opera, and so does
not qualify.

M. Shurtleff

ramsay@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC440) (06/04/85)

<Munchkin, Munchkin>

Talking of space opera (a la E.E. Doc Smith), does anyone recall Perry Rhodan?
This actually billed itself as space opera, started in Germany, and eventually
started to take over the whole world. I have been collecting English editions
for yonks now, and have recently found the first book (!!) in its posh, Foss
covered edition. I am up to 32 (Challenge of the Unknown, see, I told you it
was space opera) and am scanning bookshops for any more hypertransitions. The
majority of it is gunk, but it's highly readable gunk. I've seen decent editionsup to about 100 and something.

********************* WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FILM? ******************************

There was supposed to be a film: 'SOS from Outer Space' - Where is it now?

************************ PLEASE MAIL ME ***************************************

				Robert Ramsay
				aka Lazarus Long (Champions)
				    Beveric Orcsplatter (AD&D)
<Augh!>

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (06/04/85)

[]
If there is "space opera," then there ought logically to be the equivalents of
"Space Verdi," Space Puccini," "Space Wagner," etc.

My personal definition of space opera does not include the built-in put-downs
being promulgated about the net - probably by people who would put down
conventional opera, if they could.

Therefore, my definition is quite able to include "The Foundation" series.
You see, I <like> space opera.  And I <like> the Foundation series. Perhaps
Asimov is Wagner and the Foundation is the Ring.

Lastly, people who have not read George O. Smith's space operas have a
real treat in store for them.  "Pattern for Conquest" is my favorite, but
there are others.
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (06/04/85)

> 		Supremely evil bad guys (what could be worse than a Plooran?)

    You must have forgot the Overlords of Delgon  :-)

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (06/09/85)

 >[As for Perry Rhodan] There was supposed to be a film: 'SOS
 >from Outer Space' - Where is it now?

There is a Perry Rhodan film called MISSION STARDUST (Spain/Italy/W.
German, 1968).  It starred Lang Jeffries as Rhodan and had Essy Persson
(I, A WOMAN) as the villian.  My best wish for you is to be healthy,
live long, and somehow never see the film.  Second best is dying young
and never seeing the film.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

fritz@utastro.UUCP (06/11/85)

> re: .....tell me what a space "opera" is supposed to be?
>

> "Soap opera" soon followed, when afternoon TV became dominated by melodramatic
> serials  accompanied  by detergent  ads.  The word  "opera" has probably  been
> permanently  damaged by all this.  Will "interactive  fiction"  computer games
> become known as "bit operas"?   Film at eleven.

   opera:  "work" in Italian. From Latin word OPUS meaning "work or PAIN".
	       OPERA is the plural of opus.

Far from being damaged, I think the word opera is just beginning to
restablish its dominance.  Many of my 'bit operas' would have been aptly
named as such.  8-)
--
Fritz Benedict  (512)471-4461x448
uucp: {...noao,decvax,ut-sally}!utastro!fritz

bobg@cstvax.UUCP (Bob Gray ERCC) (06/13/85)

The perry Rhodan series went up to edition 132 in the translation from
german into english (or rather american). No more have been translated
since that I know about. I read all of them when they were first published.
(Just a temporary mental condition.) The interest was lost in the
British edition much sooner than that. As I remember the film
was originaly made in german and dubbed (very badly) into english.
I have never seen it but I understand it has been shown on the other side
of the water.
	Bob Gray
	ERCC

ramsay@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC440) (06/13/85)

>My best wish for you is to be healthy,
>live long, and somehow never see the film.  Second best is dying young
>and never seeing the film.

I suspected it might be that way, but then I glory in awful films, having
seen more than a few already. (Was MISSION STARDUST as bad as 'Night of the
Lepus'? (killer rabbits).

				R.Ramsay
<Augh!>

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (rjn) (06/20/85)

re: .....tell me what a space "opera" is supposed to be?

From the department of wild guesses:  We can probably  thank Roy Rodgers, Gene
Autrey and other singing  cowboys for this term.  I suspect that "horse opera"
originated in the late 40s or early 50s, when musical  westerns were in vogue.
To people who prefer musical  westerns to classical  opera,  there's  probably
little difference :-).

"Soap opera" soon followed, when afternoon TV became dominated by melodramatic
serials  accompanied  by detergent  ads.  The word  "opera" has probably  been
permanently  damaged by all this.  Will "interactive  fiction"  computer games
become known as "bit operas"?   Film at eleven.

Regards,                                                Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                              3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                       Fort Collins CO  80525

>>>	Supremely evil bad guys (what could be worse than a Plooran?)
>>
>>  You must have forgot the Overlords of Delgon :-)
>
> You all must have forgotten the Eddorians  :-) :-)
>
> Steve Kallis, Jr.

Hey!  You weren't supposed to tell them about those!  :-)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland