[net.micro.atari16] GDOS availability

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (10/22/86)

In article <8610190113.AA06242@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, bammi@case.CSNET.UUCP writes:
> Barry,
> 	GDOS is available, and has been for some time now to ANY registered
> developer. If you want more info, just call Cindy Clavern @ Atari.

Whoa! I hesitate to ask this, but: can we poor mortals who did not
pay for the developer's kit get GDOS? If we can't, will it *ever* be
available to mortals?

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	usenet: {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,topaz,decvax}!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo
	ARPA:   demillo@unix.macc.wisc.edu    (now isn't that easier?)

	"I am not so sure
	 what you want me for!			'War Games'
	 Either your machine is a 		   - Crosby, Stills and Nash
	 fool, or me..."

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (10/22/86)

In article <396@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>In article <bleh...>, bammi@case.CSNET.UUCP writes:
>> Barry,
>> 	GDOS is available, and has been for some time now to ANY registered
>> developer. If you want more info, just call Cindy Clavern @ Atari.
>
>Whoa! I hesitate to ask this, but: can we poor mortals who did not
>pay for the developer's kit get GDOS? If we can't, will it *ever* be
>available to mortals?

   What a silly question... are you from Milwaukee, or what?  Neil was
very adamant about there *not* being a fee to register as a developer.
So, I assume that one merely has to say to Cindy Clavern "Hi, Cindy;
I'm an Atari ST Developer!  Can I please register as such and get a copy
of GDOS?"  And that's all there should be to it.  After all, you don't
think Atari would actually *discourage* people from developing nifty
software which would help sell their machines just because they didn't
buy a particular C compiler, do you?  Naw, I didn't think so.
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (10/24/86)

GDOS will be available to users (as opposed to developers) once a few more
fonts are completed.  Then it will be packaged and sold to everyone.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

pete@utcsscb.UUCP (10/28/86)

In article <444@atari.UUcp> neil@atari.UUCP writes:
>GDOS will be available to users (as opposed to developers) once a few more
>fonts are completed.  Then it will be packaged and sold to everyone.
>
>--
>--->Neil @ Atari
>
>...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
>
>BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
>GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308
>
>US Mail: Atari Corp.
>         1196 Borregas Ave.
>         Sunnyvale, CA 94086
>
>"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

	One simple question. Approximatly how much $$? I am a simple mortal
and personaly object *VERY* much to being forced into buying a C compiler to
do development on the ST when all I need is the DOCUMENTATION.
	As a contrast, may I bring up that *OTHER* company.
	When Apple had similar complaints, they brought out a "promotional
version" of their Inside MacIntosh handbooks for those who didn't need the
entire developers package. How 'bout a similar deal for ST users??

						Pete@utcsscb.uucp

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (11/03/86)

In article <444@atari.UUcp> neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) writes:
>GDOS will be available to users (as opposed to developers) once a few more
>fonts are completed.  Then it will be packaged and sold to everyone.
>
>--
>--->Neil @ Atari

Please forgive the uninitiated and uninformed, but could you explain
a little bit more about what GDOS is exactly? When you mention fonts,
does that mean that this is more like the "real" operating system that
Atari had intended? Or is it an extension of GEM?

By the way, Hawaii distributers have been getting Atari products in, yeah!
Three cheers to Atari!

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons