[net.micro.atari16] Atari Explorer

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (05/27/86)

Did the Atari Explorer magazine die a quiet death?  After the first four
(?) issues, it seemingly has vanished into the vaporware warehouse.  Perhaps
it was prophetic that the last issue had a black cover?

--Bill--

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (05/30/86)

In article <708@tekigm2.UUCP>, wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
> Did the Atari Explorer magazine die a quiet death?  After the first four
> (?) issues, it seemingly has vanished into the vaporware warehouse.  Perhaps
> it was prophetic that the last issue had a black cover?

No.  Actually the magazine was doing quite well.  The only problem we had
was staff -- we are trying to do an awful lot with few people, so the folks
involved in the magazine kept getting pulled into other tasks, to the
detriment of the magazine's schedule.

Solution: we hired David Ahl and Betsy Staples, both formerly of Creative
Computing, and let them set up shop back in Morris Plains, NJ.  We have
given them enough corporate backing to put together a real staff whose sole
duty is the magazine.  The Explorer will continue to be Atari's voice, and
will be stonger due to more attention devoted to it.

Look for the first issue under Ah/ & Staples in July, and bimonthly for the
next while.  1987 -- monthly, if ahl goes well.

--->Neil @ Atari
	...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil

dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) (05/31/86)

Neil @ Atari responded thusly:

> ... The Explorer will continue to be Atari's voice, and
>will be stonger due to more attention devoted to it.
>
>Look for the first issue under Ahl & Staples in July, and bimonthly for the
>next while.  1987 -- monthly, if ahl goes well.
>
>--->Neil @ Atari

I know I should have kept the card that told me how to subscrib, but I
didn't.  (sigh)

How about posting the subscription info.

The US Navy denies any responsibility for me or my opinions.

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (06/02/86)

> >Look for the first issue under Ahl & Staples in July, and bimonthly for the
> >next while.  1987 -- monthly, if ahl goes well.
> >
> >--->Neil @ Atari

You know Neil, I could have sworn that when I bought my ST back in October
of last year I sent in the subsciption card to AE with either the bill me
or credit card fields ('fields' ... must but a 'puter nut!) filled in.
Never did get a single issue.  Course I don't remember getting billed
either.  Oh well, how can I tell if my subcription was never filled or if
there was no magazine to fill it with and will get one when it becomes
available?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (06/03/86)

In article <628@marlin.UUCP>, dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) writes:

> I know I should have kept the card that told me how to subscrib, but I
> didn't.  (sigh)
>
> How about posting the subscription info.

Send $15 for 6 issues or $39.95 for 18 issues to:
  Atari Explorer
  PO Box 3427
  Sunnyvale CA 94086

Canadians add $5/6 issues, others outside of US add $10/6 issues.
Mastercard and Visa accepted.

--->Neil @ Atari
	...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil

In article <460@elmgate.UUCP>, jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:

> You know Neil, I could have sworn that when I bought my ST back in October
> of last year I sent in the subsciption card to AE...
> Never did get a single issue.  Course I don't remember getting billed
> either.  Oh well, how can I tell if my subcription was never filled?

Please call Sherry Cann at 408-745-4204.  She has the subscription records
and can give you a status report.  Judging by your description, your request
has vanished -- you should have received SOMETHING by now.

--->Neil @ Atari

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (08/29/86)

I remeber that a while ago Neil Harris said that Atari Explorer was
going to be published by a couple of people in NJ and was to be out in
July. Well it's now late August and I haven't seen anything about
Atari Explorer.  Is Atari Explorer going to be published in the near
future? If so when?

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (10/07/86)

I remember that a while ago Neil Harris said that Atari Explorer would
be published in July, well it's now October and no Atari Explorer.
What's happening with it?  Is it still going to be "Atari's Vioce?"

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (10/11/86)

In article <6109@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

> I remember that a while ago Neil Harris said that Atari Explorer would
> be published in July, well it's now October and no Atari Explorer.
> What's happening with it?  Is it still going to be "Atari's Vioce?"

I have in my office the new issue of Atari Explorer.  Newsstands should
be receiving them already, as should the existing subscribers.

As promised in the editorial, the next issue will be out in a little less
than 2 months.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (10/13/86)

Thanks Neil.  I just got the new issue in the mail the  other day.  It
really good!
Now I know why it takes you  a while  to answer our questions.
How  about giving  some of us  Net users a tours of Atari??
--
Marc L. Appelbaum
Arpa: appelbau@blue.RUTGERS.EDU

view3b5@ihlpl.UUCP (Pruitt) (10/14/86)

> In article <6109@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:
> >
> > I remember that a while ago Neil Harris said that Atari Explorer would
> > be published in July, well it's now October and no Atari Explorer.
> > What's happening with it?  Is it still going to be "Atari's Vioce?"
>
> I have in my office the new issue of Atari Explorer.  Newsstands should
> be receiving them already, as should the existing subscribers.
>
> As promised in the editorial, the next issue will be out in a little less
> than 2 months.
>
> --->Neil @ Atari

I have in my hand the new Sept/Oct issue of Atari Explorer that I picked
up from A local dealer at our local Atari club meeting last evening.  He
said he had just received them Monday.  It is 80 pages long, not counting
the covers.  Quite a bit of information including a rather extensive
readers survey.  This issue seemed to contain more news on the ST than the
8-bit but they emphasized Atari's commitment to continued support of the
8-bit computers.  There is a review of the SH204 Hard Disk for the ST which
I had a chance to see runing last night.

Kit Kimes
AT&T-ISL
Naperville, IL
...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

franklin@ut-sally.UUCP (Maurice T. Franklin) (10/25/86)

I've heard alot of talk for the past months about the mysterious
Atari Explorer magazine.  I've been on the look-out for it at the
bookstore, but never saw it.  Well, it's finally out.
The Sept/Oct issue I have is 80 pages of software/hardware/program reviews
and news for the ST.  Atari, it was a long wait, but it looks like it was
worth it.

Now, I have a question:  Does anybody know anything about a mag called
STart.  I saw an issue, I don't know how old, in my bookstores junk box,
evidently there because of, as the note on top said, 'fault disk'.  So,
I assume that STart includes an ST disk with each issue, full of interesting
things.  Anyone know what I'm talking about (I sure don't :-)).

                                Maurice T. Franklin
                                CS Dept University of Texas at Austin
UUCP:                           {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!sally!franklin
ARPA Internet and CSNET:        franklin@sally.utexas.edu

chabris@husc2.UUCP (chabris) (10/25/86)

STart, the ST Quarterly, is a new quarterly magazine about the ST (and future
high-end Atari computers ...) published by Antic Publishing.  The first two
issues, Summer and Fall 1986, have been out and available for some time; the
third is scheduled for early December publication.  The magazine costs $14.95
per copy, including a disk of all source code, executable programs, and
datafiles required for the articles.  No program listings appear in the text
of the magazine -- all are given on the disk.

The magazine is highly recommended, but don't just believe a Contributing
Editor :-)  Go to B. Dalton, Waldenbooks, or any other vendor and decide for
yourself!

--
-- Christopher F. Chabris
   Dunster F-61

   [HOME: 15 Sterling Road, Armonk, NY, 10504]

   CompuServe: 73277,305
         UUCP: ...!harvard!husc4!chabris
         ARPA: chabris%husc4@harvard.ARPA
       BITNET: chabris@HARVUNXU.BITNET
         AT&T: (617) 498-2239

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (11/03/86)

In article <993@husc2.UUCP> chabris@husc2.UUCP (christopher chabris) writes:
>STart, the ST Quarterly, is a new quarterly magazine about the ST (and future
>high-end Atari computers ...) published by Antic Publishing.  The first two
>
>Christopher F. Chabris

Saw Chris's article in Fall 1986 STart. I am thoroughly impressed with this
issue. People on the net will also be interested in the C comparision chart
from the article "Which C for Me?" By the way, Megamax (as Moshe points out)
was rated by STart to be the best choice for a decent C compiler on the ST.

Address for STart:

Antic Publishing
524 Second St.
San Francisco, CA  94107