[net.micro.atari16] Some info about the Epson DS drive bug

tlz@drutx.UUCP (ZrustTL) (11/04/86)

Got this in the mail and thought it would be of general interest.
In case you missed it, this is a response to my article on the 3.5"
DS Epson drive upgrade for the SF354.  There is a problem with the
non-boot drive (B:) not being recognized by the system unless a disk
(even a blank one) is in it.

> >From sun!atari.uucp!jwt  Tue Nov  4 02:26:01 1986 remote from ihnp4
> To: sun!ihnp4!drutx!tlz
> Subject: Re: Epson DS disk drive upgrade news and ??

> That is one of the problems with buying just any off-the-shelf 3.5" disk
> drive for replacement in the ST.  There are a couple of different types of
> 3.5" drives out there (not quite as standardized as you had hoped).  Some
> drives will report the correct status of the write protect signal when there
> is no diskette in the drive and the type that requires a diskette to be in
> the drive before it returns the write protect signal.

> I am not aware of an easy modification to get it to return write protect
> without a diskette... when it happened to us, we returned the drives for the
> ones we wanted.

> Jim Tittsler, Atari Corp.  {lll-lcc,sun}!atari!jwt

OK, any ideas?  How about just shorting out the disk in
position switch? :-)
--
Terry L. Zrust, AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
MS 30L49,  11900 North Pecos Street, Denver, CO 80234