[net.micro.atari16] copy pretection

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (11/03/86)

In article <224@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>In article <246@bath63.UUCP> pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>>I had a go at copying the Epyx disk.  It appears to work, but...
>>It annoyed me enough to decide that I think I'll try to crack that one,
>>though.
>
>I copied Rogue over to my hard disk, and it runs fine from there, although
>it requires the original disk in 'A'... it just accesses it for a couple
>of seconds. Also, you can only save files to the original disk! But at
>least the loading time is slashed, especially for those l-o-n-g picture
>files.

   Well, I've tried running it from a RAMdisk copy, and it wouldn't run,
even *with* the original diskette in drive A.  Also, although I haven't
actually saved a game on an alternate diskette, I've subsequently copied
saved game files to another diskette, and have loaded them from that
diskette (in drive B).  Works great!
   Lastly, after reading (Ian Chadwick's?) column in the most recent
Analog, I took a look at the executatble file.  It was entertaining
finding phrases like "Software Pirate", "Copy Protection Mafia", and
"Scum of the Earth."  (Ian, by the way, changed the "die roll" figures
in the executable, thereby making his character much better, allowing
him to get the Amulet.  Kinda defeats the purpose of the game, doesn't it?)
--

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (11/05/86)

>    Lastly, after reading (Ian Chadwick's?) column in the most recent
> Analog, I took a look at the executatble file.  It was entertaining
> finding phrases like "Software Pirate", "Copy Protection Mafia", and
> "Scum of the Earth."  (Ian, by the way, changed the "die roll" figures
> in the executable, thereby making his character much better, allowing
> him to get the Amulet.  Kinda defeats the purpose of the game, doesn't it?)
> --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ lineater, \~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if you're going to look for ways to cheat, you might try looking in
the executable for the rogue's name (i.e. what you type in for the
name) that allows you to create anything, scrolls, weapons etc. It's
literally right there in front of you in the code. nuff said..

but i agree with you it takes all of the fun out of the game

on another subject; is anyone out there playing Phantasie I ? (if you
like rogue, you will fall in love with this game) i have gotten all
of the rings and runes and found the black knight's dungeon but
i can't get him, what am i doing wrong ?????

--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL