[net.sf-lovers] ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

Alan%DCT.AC.UK%DDXA.AC.UK@Ucl-Cs.ARPA (05/17/85)

From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>

Can anyone mail me a summary of the audience participation bits from this
film. I saw it once 4 years ago and can remember bits of it but not it all and
as its now been released over here on video, I'd like to try and jog my memory.

Also the video soundtrack seems to be mono yet the album soundtrack is, I
believe, stereo. Does the  the 35mm cinema release have a stereo soundtrack ?

		Alan
-------

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/21/85)

> From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>
>
> Can anyone mail me a summary of the audience participation bits from this
> film. I saw it once 4 years ago and can remember bits of it but not it all and
> as its now been released over here on video, I'd like to try and jog my memory.
>
> 		Alan
> -------

I, for one, will not.  RHPS was sheer delight as a film
until it was destroyed by the audience participation.
		-- SKZB

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (05/24/85)

>> From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>
>> Can anyone mail me a summary of the audience participation bits from this
>> film. .....
>From: Anne Marie Quint {/amqueue} <quint@RUTGERS.ARPA>
>    There is now available an album of Rocky Horro, complete with
>audience responses, recorded at the 8th street Playhouse in Manhattan.
>I do not know what it is like, nor how widespread it is, or whether
>it is stereo or mono. I do know it was remixed. I do not yet have the
>money to buy it.

I got the album for $10 (Can.) at a boxing day sale.
It is a planned and rehearsed "performance" of audience participation.
(by the way , it's called "The RHPS Audience Particip-(SAY IT!)-ation Album",
a double-disc set)
If you want to learn more about the participation bits, this is a good source.
However, it doesn't even begin to compare with actually being there.
For one thing, many of the lines were shouted exactly in unison by the audience,
and there are relatively few 'ad libs'.  Most of the visually-cued
lines were left out. (e.g. "kick the tire please", "rope please" )
The mixing was not good; the sound track was stereo but parts of it
came out mono, and sometimes there seems to be an echo (from the screen?).
If you don't have the sound track you might think of buying it, but if you do
and you're not exactly a fan, well, convince a friend to buy it so you
can look at the script that's on the record sleeves!

 In article <203@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
>              ...      RHPS was sheer delight as a film
>until it was destroyed by the audience participation.
>		-- SKZB
Well, Mr. Brust, one person's meat is another's dioxin.
There are certainly some of us who think that audience participation
enhanced our enjoyment of the film.
And PLEEEZZ , don't let's start another bout of discussion on whether
this is GOOD or BAD! :-}

                                  ____ ____
                                 /    V    \
Let there be LIPS!!!            /___________\
                                \           /
                                 \_________/

--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

asz@warwick.UUCP (Frank N Furter) (05/25/85)

In article <203@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
>> Can anyone mail me a summary of the audience participation bits from this
>> film. I saw it once 4 years ago and can remember bits of it but not it all and
>> as its now been released over here on video, I'd like to try and jog my memory.
>> 		Alan
>
>I, for one, will not.  RHPS was sheer delight as a film
>until it was destroyed by the audience participation.
>		-- SKZB

Actually it was a stage play first (presumably with audience participation).
Perhaps you're in the wrong generation to enjoy the sheer brilliance of
RHPS (:-)), which would NOT be the same without audience participation - it is
essential to the whole ethos to have tthe participation.

					--Alex

--
"The State is a liar, a cheat, an embezzler and a murderer. Anarchy is the only
      way to save ourselves from the greatest criminals of all time."

			... mcvax!ukc!ubu!snow!asz

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (05/27/85)

> > From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>
> >
> > Can anyone mail me a summary of the audience participation bits from this
> > film. I saw it once 4 years ago and can remember bits of it but not it all and
> > as its now been released over here on video, I'd like to try and jog my memory.
> >
> > 		Alan
> > -------
>
> I, for one, will not.  RHPS was sheer delight as a film
> until it was destroyed by the audience participation.
> 		-- SKZB

UUUGGGHH!

	It has been the audience that has kept RHPS alive all these years!
If it were not for the audience, Rocky would have gone in and out of the
movie theatres just like any ordinary movie.  The movie itself is not that
funny - It's the audience that makes me laugh.  However, if you do not like
the audience participation, try renting a VCR tape and seeing it home.  That
way no one can spoil your movie.

					eliot lear
--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (06/03/85)

In article <183@snow.warwick.UUCP> asz@warwick.UUCP (Frank N Furter) writes:

>>I, for one, will not.  RHPS was sheer delight as a film
>>until it was destroyed by the audience participation.
>>		-- SKZB
>
>Actually it was a stage play first (presumably with audience participation).
>Perhaps you're in the wrong generation to enjoy the sheer brilliance of

My understanding of the London stage play is that there was little if
any audience participation -- except for the ushers, who were dressed in
odd, faceless costumes, and who most wandered the audience in a daze
rather then helping anyone find a seat.

>RHPS (:-)), which would NOT be the same without audience participation - it is
>essential to the whole ethos to have tthe participation.

Hey! Watch this wrong generation stuff -- I'm almost two months older
than SKZB, and I like the audience participation.

It was nice to see the tape once, though.  That way, I understand the
punchlines.  What do people who are RH virgins do now, when there are
only a few of us left who understand anything going on on the screen
(like anything the Criminologist says.)
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

boyajian@akov68.DEC (06/08/85)

> From:	topaz!lear	(eliot lear)

>> RHPS was sheer delight as a film
>> until it was destroyed by the audience participation.
>> 		-- SKZB
>
>	It has been the audience that has kept RHPS alive all these years!
> If it were not for the audience, Rocky would have gone in and out of the
> movie theatres just like any ordinary movie. The movie itself is not that
> funny - It's the audience that makes me laugh. However, if you do not like
> the audience participation, try renting a VCR tape and seeing it home. That
> way no one can spoil your movie.

> From:	warwick!asz

> Actually it was a stage play first (presumably with audience participation).
> Perhaps you're in the wrong generation to enjoy the sheer brilliance of
> RHPS (:-)), which would NOT be the same without audience participation - it is
> essential to the whole ethos to have tthe participation.

Give me a break. Are you trying to teach your grandpappy how to
suck eggs?

(1) For a good many of us who had seen RHPS *many* times over the
course of three or so years without the audience participation (a.p.),
the movie is a delight all on its lonesome. The a.p. is hardly
"essential". Maybe it's preferential for you, but not for everyone.
The a.p. was funny and enjoyable for the first few times, but after
a while it got very annoying. There are those of us who like the
*movie*, and would rather see *it* than the audience. I haven't see
RHPS in, oh, probably 5-6 years precisely *because* of the annoyance
of the audience. The a.p. is not the be all and the end all of the
movie. The movie existed without it before, and it can do so again.

(2) It's debatable whether or not RHPS would have become a cult
film without the a.p. Other cult films, HAROLD AND MAUDE and KING OF
HEARTS to name two, certainly don't require a.p. And it seems to me
that the a.p. started *after* RHPS acheived cult status.

(3) RHPS did indeed start out as a stage play, but *without* a.p.
The movie was first released in late 1975, and the a.p. didn't get
into full swing until 1979 or so.

(3) As for renting a videotape, I wish I *could*. But, contrary to
popular belief, RHPS has *not* yet been released on tape (in the US,
at least). And it's probably because 20th Century Fox is afraid that
it will cut into the theater rentals, thus it's quite likely that
the a.p. is *preventing* Steven and I from enjoying the movie in
the privacy of our homes.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

alex@warwick.UUCP (06/11/85)

>> From:	warwick!asz
>
>> Actually it was a stage play first (presumably with audience participation).
>> Perhaps you're in the wrong generation to enjoy the sheer brilliance of
>> RHPS (:-)), which would NOT be the same without audience participation - it
>> is essential to the whole ethos to have tthe participation.

>(1) For a good many of us who had seen RHPS *many* times over the
>course of three or so years without the audience participation (a.p.),
>the movie is a delight all on its lonesome. The a.p. is hardly
>"essential". Maybe it's preferential for you, but not for everyone.
>
>--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)
>
>UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian

Perhaps a few more smiles would have been in order. I was merely saying that
most people prefer RHPS with a.p. This does not make you wrong. Oh, and RHPS
IS available on video in Britain - pity you're in the USA.

As a matter of interest, how many RHPS fans out there listen to the soundtrack
and do you do so for the music or to re-create the film ?

						--Alex

--

			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!asz

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (06/12/85)

> Give me a break. Are you trying to teach your grandpappy how to
> suck eggs?
>
> (1) For a good many of us who had seen RHPS *many* times over the
> course of three or so years without the audience participation (a.p.),
> the movie is a delight all on its lonesome. The a.p. is hardly
> "essential". Maybe it's preferential for you, but not for everyone.
> The a.p. was funny and enjoyable for the first few times, but after
> a while it got very annoying. There are those of us who like the
> *movie*, and would rather see *it* than the audience.

First of all, the audience participation changes - not the movie.  So if
there were ever something bored of, it would be seeing RHPS 70+ times without
the "a.p.".
> (2) It's debatable whether or not RHPS would have become a cult
> film without the a.p. Other cult films, HAROLD AND MAUDE and KING OF
> HEARTS to name two, certainly don't require a.p. And it seems to me
> that the a.p. started *after* RHPS acheived cult status.

Please define "Cult Statis" so that I can understand what you're talking
about.

> (3) RHPS did indeed start out as a stage play, but *without* a.p.
> The movie was first released in late 1975, and the a.p. didn't get
> into full swing until 1979 or so.

I KNOW that is not true as I have friends who went for the "a.p." in '77.

> (3) As for renting a videotape, I wish I *could*. But, contrary to
> popular belief, RHPS has *not* yet been released on tape (in the US,
> at least). And it's probably because 20th Century Fox is afraid that
> it will cut into the theater rentals, thus it's quite likely that
> the a.p. is *preventing* Steven and I from enjoying the movie in
> the privacy of our homes.
>
> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

"Life sucks and then you die."  If you really miss RHPS get the film. (Find a
friend in England or something).  However contrary to your beliefs *MANY*
people go to the movie for the "a.p." and probably would not go without it!

					eliot
--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

patrick@ISM780.UUCP (06/20/85)

I'm feeling snotty tonight - please excuse.

First saw this in a small theatre on the King's Road in the early
70s; it was outrageous, and made us  fall  off  our  seats.   The
movie  seemed  pale  in  comparison (the surprise - shock?  - was
gone).

I remember  having  a  similar  reaction  to  Mel  Brooks'  "The
Producers".   Saw  it about the same time, when it was an obscure
B-movie, and the shock- value alone had me rolling in the  aisles
("he  can't do that....").  I still enjoy the movie, but it's not
the same.

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (06/29/85)

*Eat this line*

     I wasn't aware that RHPS hadn't been released on videotape.  However,
you might want to look around for movie supply houses.  I remember reading
an entry in a mail-order catalog about five or six years ago.  It would
be expensive ($300+) but worth it if you got a group of friends together.

						orstcs/richardt
"If I'm human, what are *YOU*?

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)