[net.sf-lovers] Donaldson's Excessively Distended Verbosity

Jamie.Zawinski@CMU-CS-SPICE.ARPA (06/27/85)

From: Jamie.Zawinski@CMU-CS-SPICE

I think that this quote of a quote from Chalker's VENGANCE OF THE DANCING
GODS says it all:

    "When chronicling great adventures, the chronicler should take pains
     to use words that even the most educated of readers must look up.
     this may make your chronicle very slow, if not impossible to read,
     but it will be critically acclaimed throughout the land, for none
     will wish to admit that they didn't understand and relish every
     word.  Instead, they will use the comfort with such phraseology as
     a limitus test for intelectual equality.  No one may ever really read
     you, but all will be forced to purchase a copy of the chronicle to
     convince others that they did, and your brilliance and intellect
     will be permanently unquestioned."

		--The Romantic Saga Writer's Manual of Style, Marahbar

						--Jamie
						jwz@cmu-cs-spice

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/02/85)

>From: Jamie.Zawinski@CMU-CS-SPICE
>
>I think that this quote of a quote from Chalker's VENGANCE OF THE DANCING
>GODS says it all:
>
>    "When chronicling great adventures, the chronicler should take pains
>     to use words that even the most educated of readers must look up.
>     this may make your chronicle very slow, if not impossible to read,
>     but it will be critically acclaimed throughout the land, for none
>     will wish to admit that they didn't understand and relish every
>     word.  Instead, they will use the comfort with such phraseology as
>     a limitus test for intelectual equality.  No one may ever really read
>     you, but all will be forced to purchase a copy of the chronicle to
>     convince others that they did, and your brilliance and intellect
>     will be permanently unquestioned."
>
>		--The Romantic Saga Writer's Manual of Style, Marahbar

I don't wish to admit that I didn't understand and relish every word
because I *did* in fact understand and relish every word (of the first
trilogy, I ignore the second).  I am not an "intellectual" who measures
a book by how many verbose words the writer uses.  I measure it by how much
it affected me.  How much of it stuck with me after I read it.  How much I
learned about myself from the book.

I liked the first trilogy because I it was good (to me).  If you didn't, fine.
But don't start questioning where my tastes come from.

Chris Andersen

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: azure!chrisa (Chris Andersen)