[net.sf-lovers] The Black Company Trilogy

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (07/02/85)

In article <2372@topaz.ARPA> SUTHERLAND@TL-20A.ARPA writes:
>From: Dean Sutherland <Sutherland@TL-20A.ARPA>
>Try Glen Cook's "Black Company" trilogy (The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and
>The White Rose).  The Black Company of the title is a mercenary company trying
>to survive and fulfill their contracts (in that order).
>The series is VERY bleak, but it is good reading.

On the contrary, I got a big kick out of the Black Company and found
it not a bit depressing.  The members of the company were certainly
capable of military atrocities, the most memorable for me being the
point at which they forced a group of prisoners to dig trenches for
fallen dead, then killed the prisoners and threw them in the graves
too.  At the same time, the company recognized such actions as evil
and usually tried to find alternatives to bloodshed.  Moreover, there
is a significant emotional difference for me between mercenary ruthlessness
and love of death, stupid self-hate, and banal violence.  I understand
ruthless self-preservation, especially since the people they were fighting
were no more noble.  On the other hand, the love of suffering displayed
by Donaldson's Ravers, and the constant self-disgust of Covenant and
Linden Avery are simply loathesome, without the excuse of self-preservation.

I agree that the Black Company have no noble sentiments about war
or heroism and that the books are much grittier than most fantasy,
but I think the villainy is of an entirely different nature than
the Covenant books.  For me, the Black Company books were not downers
at all (and the third book was rather charming).

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/08/85)

In article <15531@watmath.UUCP> jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) writes:
>  On the other hand, the love of suffering displayed
>by Donaldson's Ravers, and the constant self-disgust of Covenant and
>Linden Avery are simply loathesome, without the excuse of self-preservation.

Here I go again....

Covenants behaviour *WAS* self-preservation.   Come on, the guy was a leper.
He had to face the fact that for the rest of his life he would never, *NEVER*
be able to feel things.  I don't know if you realize it, but the sense of touch
is about THE most prevalent one in our life.  All the others (except maybe
hearing) are selective and are used only when needed.  Touch on the other hand
is a sense that is constantly working 24 hours a day.  You never really notice
it until you lose it.  But once you do, you realize just how much it was used
by you.

Covenant cannot touch.  He cannot feel.  He is impotent.  And to survive, he
has to isolate himself from everyone and to do that, he presents a loathsome
front to everyone he meets (even those he tries to help).  When he enters the
land, his senses are fully returned to him, and he goes nuts.  The only way
he can save his sanity is to refuse to believe that he has actually been
cured.

Don't tell me that Covenant doesn't act by an instinct for self-preservation.
That's complete bull.

Chris Andersen

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: watmath!jagardner (Jim Gardner)