[ut.16k] wrong way to communicate

dw@utcsri.UUCP (Dave Wortman) (02/11/86)

I think using a NEWS GROUP for 16K communication is a bad idea.
It makes the information inaccessible to the 16k machines unless
each of them decides to be a news site with all the extra overhead
that that implies.  Also it is not easy from the more remote 16k
machines to post to this newsgroup.

The number of people interested in 16k systems is small and well known.
I think a mail alias on utcsri called say  local16k would be a much
more effective and useful communication mechanism than this news group.
--
Dave Wortman

rjf@utcsri.UUCP (Bob Francis) (02/11/86)

> I think using a NEWS GROUP for 16K communication is a bad idea.

> The number of people interested in 16k systems is small and well known.

> I think a mail alias on utcsri called say  local16k would be a much
> more effective and useful communication mechanism than this news group.

Even though the current group of 16k users is small and well known
communication amoung us has been slight. This group of users may be
expanding if ECF has any success with it's ICM box. I feel that a
mailing list would be too restrictive and require too much support
(on my part:-) to keep it rolling.

I guess the question is; how important is it for users to recieve this
information at their 16k machines.

Please let me know which you favor (news group or mailing list). If the
general opinion favors a mailing list I'll set one up.

	Bob Francis