[ut.16k] POSTINGS FROM dw@utdw

rjf@utcsri.UUCP (Bob Francis) (03/04/86)

THE FOLLOWING POSTINGS ARE RELAYED FROM dw@utdw

From dw Fri Dec 20 13:27:23 1985
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 85 13:27:18 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw>
To: bdown, rjf
Subject: a bad tip
Cc: dw

I've ran into some trouble when I copied /usr/src/usr.bin/tip/* to
my 32016 system and tried to recompile it there.
1) contrary to the makefile, tip will not compile at all if ACULOG
   is not defined.  dummy macros defined in tip.h conflict with
   the procedures defined in log.c.  I think the solution is to wrap
   #ifdef ACULOG  ..  #endif  around the procedure definitions in log.c
2) the makefile contains the instructions:
     cd aculib; make  ${MFLAGS}
   by MFLAGS are nowhere defined in the makefile, so this step blows up.

From dw@utdw.UUCP Sun Dec 22 18:53:11 1985
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 85 18:50:26 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: utcsri!utpeter!peter@uthub
Subject: vadic problems
Cc: dw, dw@utcsri, rjf@utcsri

I've had some problems getting the 32016 software to work with my
RV 3451 modem.  Had to change dial request from D to d for both uucico
and tip to make communication work.  ALso noticed that standard tip
dialer v3451.c wasn't hanging up phone properly.  Fixed that
by using longer disconnect sequence from local.c.
I'd be happy to send you source for these changes.

From dw@utdw.UUCP Tue Dec 24 20:05:37 1985
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 85 19:59:45 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: rjf@utcsri
Subject: uucp condevs.c revised source

THIS IS JUST THE COMMENT AT THE BEGINNING OF A LARGE SOURCE FILE.
IF YOU WANT THE SOURCE CONTACT dw@utdw . (rjf)

improved hangup sequence for v3451 modem.
condevs.c ===============================================================
#ifndef lint
static char sccsid[] = "@(#)condevs.c	5.6 (Berkeley) 8/12/83";
#endif

/*
 * Here are various dialers to establish the machine-machine connection.
 * conn.c/condevs.c was glued together by Mike Mitchell.
 * The dialers were supplied by many people, to whom we are grateful.
 *
 * ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 * NOTE:
 * There is a bug that occurs at least on PDP11s due to a limitation of
 * setjmp/longjmp.   If the routine that does a setjmp is interrupted
 * and longjmp-ed to,  it loses its register variables (on a pdp11).
 * What works is if the routine that does the setjmp
 * calls a routine and it is the *subroutine* that is interrupted.
 *
 * Anyway, in conclusion, condevs.c is plagued with register variables
 * that are used inside
 * 	if (setjmp(...)) {
 * 		....
 * 	}
 *
 * THE FIX: In dnopn(), for example, delete the 'register' Devices *dev.
 * (That was causing a core dump; deleting register fixed it.)
 * Also for dnopn delete 'register' int dnf... .
 * In pkopn, delete 'register' flds... .
 * There may be others, especially mcm's version of hysopen.
 * You could just delete all references to register, that is safest.
 * This problem might not occur on 4.1bsd, I am not sure.
 * 	Tom Truscott
 */

From dw@utdw.UUCP Sat Jan 11 22:22:05 1986
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 86 22:12:42 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: peter@uthub
Subject: vc problems
Cc: dw, drg@utcsri, rjf@utcsri

I finally tracked down the problems I was having with vc.
There were 2 places in sc.c where getchar was called directly
to read user input (one in checkit() and one in your decoding
sequence for the e[vx<>] command).  getchar was returning
an 8-bit character and hence the following character compares
were failing.  The fix is to replace calls on getchar with
the macro nmgetch (== getchar() & 0177).

From dw@utdw.UUCP Mon Jan 13 21:24:37 1986
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 86 21:24:18 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: rjf@utcsri, thomson@uthub
Subject: 32016 cp problem
Cc: dw

There may be a problem with cp on the 32016 port.
If you ask it to copy a directory, e.g.
	cp /bin /tmp/bin
It does the copy with no complaint, and leave the destination
file with its "I am a directory" bit removed.
This seems wrong to me, I thought cp dir1 dir2 should fail.

From dw@utdw.UUCP Sun Feb  2 14:59:38 1986
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 86 14:56:18 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: rjf@utcsri, peter@uthub
Subject: -me
Cc: dw

When I tried to do a document using the -me macros, I discovered
that /usr/lib/me was missing from utdw.  Other systems may have
the same problem.

From dw Sun Feb  2 20:44:24 1986
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 86 20:44:20 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw>
To: rjf
Subject: 32016 addbib bug
Cc: dw, dw@utdw.UUCP

It appears that the 32016 version of the addbib program has a bug that
has been fixed on this system.  Look at the rlog for addbib.c in
/xusr/usr.bin.refer.RCS

From dw@utdw.UUCP Sat Feb  8 17:40:47 1986
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 86 17:36:53 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: rjf@utcsri, peter@uthub, stew@uthub
Subject: /usr/lib/refer BOTCHED
Cc: dw, dw@utcsri

/usr/lib/refer should be a directory containing the utility programs
mkey, inv and hunt that are invoked by refer.  On this system,
/usr/lib/refer was a copy of the binary program hunt.
I think someone goofed when refer was originally installed.

From dw@utdw.UUCP Sat Feb  8 17:44:15 1986
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 86 17:40:20 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: drg@utcsri, rjf@utcsri
Subject: 32016 bugs
Cc: dw, dw@utcsri, peter@uthub, stew@uthub

Is there a master list of 32016 software bugs that have been repaired
somewhere?  I would like to know what needs to be fixed on this system.

From dw@utdw.UUCP Mon Feb 17 10:24:23 1986
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 10:18:40 est
From: Dave Wortman <dw@utdw.UUCP>
To: rjf@utcsri
Subject: /usr/lib/refer bug
Cc: dw

I think the reason the the directory /usr/lib/refer was botched on this
machine was that the makefile for refer is wrong.  In the install step
it does 3 installs on /usr/lib/refer without first checking that the
directory exists.  If it doesn't, then you'll get the problem I discovered
of the last binary program being installed as /usr/lib/refer.