[net.lang.c++] C++ translator

--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (02/12/86)

> From allegra!mit-eddie!genrad!decvax!ittatc!dcdwest!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
> From: friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen)
> Newsgroups: net.lang.c
> Subject: Re: C++ Translator
>
> In article <847@asgb.UUCP> gdw@asgb.UUCP (Gary Walker) writes:
>>
>>    Does anyone know of a C++ Translator that runs on a Sun or an Apollo
>>workstation?

The translator you can buy from AT&T has been ported to Suns and Apollos
dozens of times.

> Or how about one that runs under MS-Dos?

I hear they (not ``it'') exist/are-in-the-works, but it is not up to me to
make product announcements, especially for companies I don't work for, so I
can't tell you where to look for them, or when.

> Or failing that could
> someone mail me a C++ program and the corresponding Translator
> output(that is the ordinary C produced by the preprocessor)? If I had
> a good example of how it implements some of the more advanced features
> I would *write* my own C++ Translator!
>	If I do I will try and make it portable and make it available
> to others.

You are welcome to try, just get it right. The last thing we need is
a number of incompatible C++ dialects. If you assume you can do it in a
couple of month, look a bit closer. I suggest that it will be less painful
simply to buy a translator.

>				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

	- Bjarne Stroustrup

PS Now that we have net.lang.c++ we ought put C++ specific articles there.