[net.sf-lovers] Banned episodes + SF on controlling Time

nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA (06/22/85)

From: nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA

From Mike Parsons:
    Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about
    CONTROLLING time (everybody elses), as opposed to time travel
    (controlling your local time)?

There is only one that I can think of: Time Storm by Gordon R.
Dickson.  Time Storm is about time lines running loose over the
Earth, pushing people randomly back and forth in time.  One man
decides to fight the phenomenon, and begins to control the time
lines.  He can also move himself and others by controlling the forces
that cause the time lines.  Interesting, and fun reading.

	-Nancy
<nancy@mit-htvax.arpa>

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/23/85)

>From: msp@ukc.UUCP (M.S.Parsons)
>
>Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
>(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?

Try the new Star Trek novel "Killing Time", by Dell Van Hise.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		New COKE- the refreshment that pauses.

res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (06/25/85)

>Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
>(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?

A classic along these lines is "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and
Everything" or something close to this (my library is at home, though
there are days I wish I kept it at my office !!!).  There was a movie
by the same name that was a fairly decent rendition of the book.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (06/25/85)

In article <1105@ihuxn.UUCP> res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt) writes:
>>Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
>>(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?
>
>A classic along these lines is "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and
>Everything" or something close to this (my library is at home, though
>there are days I wish I kept it at my office !!!).  There was a movie
>by the same name that was a fairly decent rendition of the book.

there was a sequel to the movie too, with some appropriate title that
escapes me.  i watched them both at different times in the past year
when i wanted to turn my brain off for a while.  having never read the
book, i will have to take you word that it was reasonable accurate.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

bfeir@watnot.UUCP (bfeir) (06/26/85)

> In article <1105@ihuxn.UUCP> res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt) writes:
> >>Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
> >>(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?
> >
> >A classic along these lines is "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and
> >Everything" or something close to this (my library is at home, though
> >there are days I wish I kept it at my office !!!).  There was a movie
> >by the same name that was a fairly decent rendition of the book.
>
> there was a sequel to the movie too, with some appropriate title that
> escapes me.  i watched them both at different times in the past year
> when i wanted to turn my brain off for a while.  having never read the
> book, i will have to take you word that it was reasonable accurate.
>
> Herb Chong...

The sequel was called "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Dynamite."

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/27/85)

In article <11245@watnot.UUCP> bfeir@watnot.UUCP (bfeir) writes:

>> >A classic along these lines is "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and
>> >Everything" or something close to this (my library is at home, though
>> >there are days I wish I kept it at my office !!!).  There was a movie
>> >by the same name that was a fairly decent rendition of the book.
>>
>> there was a sequel to the movie too, with some appropriate title that
>> escapes me.  i watched them both at different times in the past year
>> when i wanted to turn my brain off for a while.  having never read the
>> book, i will have to take you word that it was reasonable accurate.
>>
>> Herb Chong...
>>
>The sequel was called "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Dynamite."

The movie was indeed reasonably accurate.  The book is by John D.
MacDonald (I recommend his "Travis McGee" books).  I do not think
there was a book for the movie sequel.

                       Muffy

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (06/27/85)

> Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
> (everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?

You'll find some of that among the evil characters in many episodes
of Dr. Who.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

msp@ukc.UUCP (M.S.Parsons) (06/27/85)

In article <114@aplvax.UUCP> mae@aplvax.UUCP (Mary Anne Espenshade) writes:
>The original CBS late-night showing of UFO omitted the episode Timelash,
>because Commander Straker and Col. Lake were shown injecting themselves
>with stimulents to fight the aliens who had slowed time over the studio
>and stopped everyone else in SHADO headquarters.

TIMELASH: So that's the name of that episode! I saw it many years ago but I
thought it was excellent. It certainly provoked thought about Time itself.

Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?

 --Mike

Mike Parsons UUCP: ..{ucl-cs|edcaad|mcvax|qtlon}!ukc!msp           msp@ukc.UUCP
             JANET:MSP%UKC%{EDXA,UCL-CS}..                         MSP@UKC.AC.UK
             Mail: Computing Lab, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, England.

sml@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/28/85)

In article <2353@topaz.ARPA> nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA writes:
>From Mike Parsons:
>    Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about
>    CONTROLLING time (everybody elses), as opposed to time travel
>    (controlling your local time)?
>There is only one that I can think of: Time Storm by Gordon R.
>Dickson.  Time Storm is about time lines running loose over the
>Earth, pushing people randomly back and forth in time.  One man
>decides to fight the phenomenon, and begins to control the time
>lines.  He can also move himself and others by controlling the forces
>that cause the time lines.  Interesting, and fun reading.

There is also "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything" by John D.
MacDonald (of Travis McGee fame).  Isn't one (or more) of A. E. Van
Vogt's older ones about this subject?
---
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA
*  Just part of the stock at "Uncle Bene's Farm"
*  {cdp,greipa,idi,oliveb,sun,tolerant}!bene!luke!steven
***

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (06/29/85)

In article <399@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>>From: msp@ukc.UUCP (M.S.Parsons)
>>Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
>>(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?
>
>Try the new Star Trek novel "Killing Time", by Dell Van Hise.

 That's *Della*, as in the wife of James, but maybe I shouldn't mention it
 since I don't think her explanation of how the time travel was achieved
 (WAS there an explanation??) was really very good.

allen@osu-eddie.UUCP (John Allen) (06/29/85)

 From Mike Parsons:
     Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about
     CONTROLLING time (everybody elses), as opposed to time travel
     (controlling your local time)?

    I can think of two good books that discuss CONTROLLING time, although it
not the major theme of either book.  The first one is
_A_Planet_Called_Treason_ by Orson Scott Card.  If you liked his other books
you should read this.

    The second book is _Collision_Course_ by <author's name forgotten>.  The
basic premise of this book is that time travels in waves and that anything
before a time wave has no structure because it only gains structure after a
wave has passed.  It turns out that there are two time waves (one of which
contains the Earth of our future) on a direct collision course and when they
meet they will, in effect, cancel each other out.  This is a very good book.
Does anyone out there happen to remember the author's name.

                                        John Allen
					Ohio State University
					(UUCP: cbosgd!osu-eddie!allen)
					(CSNet: allen@ohio-state)

lum@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) (07/04/85)

> Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about
> CONTROLLING time (everybody elses), as opposed to time travel
> (controlling your local time)?

There is a story lurking somewhere in the back of my mind which is
about *both* and the cross-effects between them.  People are
travelling among coexisting probable universes, and for some reason
the separateness between these realities is breaking down.

The protagonist is the last of the Plantagenets if that helps.  My
memory may be inaccurate in recalling the title as "Assignment in
..." (I can't quite dredge up that last word).

Lum Johnson ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!lum or lum@osu-eddie.uucp

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: osu-eddie!lum (Lum Johnson)