[net.lang.c++] C++ book errata

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (03/06/86)

> From alice!allegra!watmath!watrose!tedoner Tue Mar  4 01:48:18 1986
> From: Terry Doner <allegra!watmath!watrose!tedoner>
> Subject: Typos in the C++ book.
>
> You mentioned in one of your postings to net.lang.c++ that you were
> receiving corrections from people.  Would you consider posting an erratum.

I guess that would only be fair. Here is a list of typos/bugs.
They have all been fixed for the second printing (so, since Addison Wesley
has sold out, you should be unable to buy a C++ book with these typos.
I have left out simple spelling mistakes, etc. Please don't get the
impression that the book is ``buggy''. Making corections for the second
printing is the normal mode of operation (for example, Knuth Vol 3 page vi),
and Brian assures me that there were a similar number of bugs/typos fixed
for the second printing of K&R.

Page 20 last example:
	v[i] = i;	=>	v[i] = t;
Page 20 last line:
	MAX/2		=>	MAX-1
Page 26 fourth line of second paragraph:
	nextchar	=>	state
Page 49 last example:
	return q-p;	=>	return q-p-1;
Page 51 middle:
	[5,1]		=>	[4,1]
	[5][1]		=>	[4][1]
Page 57 bottom:
	vec[large]	=>	vec[large+1]
Page 60:
	65		=>	63
	0x35		=>	0x53
	65536		=>	65535
Page 61:
	'x06f'		=>	'x05f'
Page 64:
	*q = 7;		=>	*p3 = 7;
Page 76:
	string_value	=>	name_string
Page 80 middle:
	if (i < 0)	=>	if (ii < 0)
Page 85 first paraghaph:
	+ is right	=>	+ is left
Page 91 middle:
	new node	=>	new enode
Page 100:
	cat(p)		=>	rev(p)
Page 112:
	string_value	=>	name_string
Page 123 third paragraph:
	Here 1		=>	Here a
Page 127 bottom:
	; k<sz-1;	=>	; k<sz;
Page 135:
	today.set(1,18	=>	today.set(18,1
Page 149 example:
	j = 0;		=>	int j = 0;
Page 150 example:
	j = 0;		=>	int j = 0;
	m.m		=>	m.v
Page 161, the destructor ought to look like this:
	classdef::~classdef()
	{
		// ...
		delete members;
		delete friends;
	}
Page 163 last paragraph:
	12		=>	16
	16		=>	20
Page 164:
	Pexpr q =	=>	name* q =
Page 196 second paragraph:
	g()		=>	clear()
Page 199 third paragraph:
	5.12.3		=>	5.5.4
Page 232 second paragraph:
	It is not 	=>	It is
(That is, you can now mix <stream.h> and <stdio.h> stuff in a single program).
Page 276 first paragraph:
	tnode.set	=>	tnode::set
	word		=>	tword
Page 280 second paragraph of 8.5.7:
	before		=>	after
Page 287 last line of 8.6.2:
	succeding	=>	preceding
Page 292:
	color cp =	=>	color* cp =
Page 293 (9.3):
	integral or	=>	arithmetic or
Page 294 (9.7):
	integral or	=>	arithmetic or
Page 298 second paragraph:
	member b1	=>	member b
	member b2	=>	member c

Thanks to all who sent me typos, comments, etc.

	- Bjarne Stroustrup (AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill)