[net.lang.c++] Jeff's fixes

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (04/12/86)

> From: jeff@warwick.UUCP (Jeff Smith)

> Subject: heap store in C++ release 1 with fix (article #3)

> Does anyone know why C++ has its own storage management routines?

To allow me to experiment.
My cfront now uses the standard malloc() & free(), and the bugs you
found were fixed.

> Subject: octal character constants

> I claim that the string "p\01q" is legal, has four characters in it
> (p, SOH, q and NUL)

Yes, try this one liner:

	main() { printf("%d %d\n",strlen("p\01q"),sizeof("p\01q")); }

The correct output is

	3 4

Unfortunately Release 1.0 disagrees (I think, I don't have one).
My cfront agrees (and no, you can't have it, yet).

> Why can't the labs post fixes? Do we all have to work
> in parallel to get the same bugs fixed, only on posting to get a
> comment from Bjarne that it's been fixed in his version? (And no,
> you can't have it!).

I'm probably the one that is most frustrated, but large scale software
distribution is not easy, especially if one does not want to spend
oodles of money on it.

I very much appreciate the fixes being posted. Thanks.