[net.lang.c++] C-compilers on PC's; simulation

mit@hut.UUCP (Markku Tamminen) (05/05/86)

We are developing an expert system shell for embedded systems, and have
acquired c++ as our favorite language for that. One aspect of the work
is that discrete event simulation is central in evaluating the embedded
systems to be built. Our development environment is a 3B2/400 but the
run-time systems will be in the 80286 class, and for various reasons
also final simulators should be able operate on PC's (AT).

For c++ to be chosen in the project (against, e.g., PL/M) it is paramount
that we can compile the code (as a final step) on/for a PC.

I would like to know of C-compilers on PC's, that provenly compile the C-code
produced by the c++ front end. If relevant, I will summarize to the net.

I would also be interested in experiences/enhancements of the c++ simulation
primitives, especially in an environment similar to ours.

Markku Tamminen
Helsinki University of Technology
Laboratory of Information Processing Science
02150 ESPOO 15 FINLAND
Tel: 358-0-4512020 (460144)
ARPANET: mit%hut.uucp%fingate.bitnet%cernvax.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
BITNET: mit%hut.uucp@fingate
UUCP (more expensive): {seismo!mcvax, enea!tut}!penet!hut

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (05/07/86)

> From: mit@hut.UUCP (Markku Tamminen)
> Subject: C-compilers on PC's; simulation

> We are developing an expert system shell for embedded systems, and have
> acquired c++ as our favorite language for that. One aspect of the work
> is that discrete event simulation is central in evaluating the embedded
> systems to be built. Our development environment is a 3B2/400 but the
> run-time systems will be in the 80286 class, and for various reasons
> also final simulators should be able operate on PC's (AT).

C++ is in use on both 3B2s and 80286 boxes (UNIX & DOS).

For c++ to be chosen in the project (against, e.g., PL/M) it is paramount
that we can compile the code (as a final step) on/for a PC.

> I would like to know of C-compilers on PC's, that provenly compile the C-code
> produced by the c++ front end. If relevant, I will summarize to the net.

Lattice C and (with some problems with structure assignment) Microsoft C.

> I would also be interested in experiences/enhancements of the c++ simulation
> primitives, especially in an environment similar to ours.

So would I.

> Markku Tamminen
> Helsinki University of Technology
> Laboratory of Information Processing Science
> 02150 ESPOO 15 FINLAND
> Tel: 358-0-4512020 (460144)
> ARPANET: mit%hut.uucp%fingate.bitnet%cernvax.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
> BITNET: mit%hut.uucp@fingate
> UUCP (more expensive): {seismo!mcvax, enea!tut}!penet!hut

	Bjarne Stroustrup (AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill)