[net.lang.c++] Help bringing up C++

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (06/17/86)

> From: elias@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (elias)
> Subject: Help bringing up C++ under UTX1.3
>
> ...i'm trying to bring up C++ under Gould's UTX1.3 (BSD4.3), and
> have to supply a set of data-type sizes and alignment characteristics.
> This info doesn't seem to be readily available in either the assembler
> manual or the C compiler, so if someone who either has already gone
> this route or knows, for example, what the "minimum size and alignment
> of frames" (i assume these are C stack frames) is, please contact me
> via one of the paths below.

The SZ_FRAME AL_FRAME SZ_TOP SZ_BOTTOM is not used for anything serious
and can be left alone in a port. They were included for a (now defunct)
version of cfront that was to generate assembly code directly.

The rest of the sizes and alignments can be found without too much trouble
by writing a few C programs for the target machine.

In general, before porting C++ have a look at Jonathan P. Leech's
article about porting release 1.0 "Article-I.D.: cit-vax.278"
He is: jon@cit-vax.UUCP from California Institute of Technology.
It contains a lot of good stuff.