[net.lang.c++] C++ info wanted

lawitzke@msudoc.UUCP (06/17/86)

I realize this has appeared from other people. However, I, too wish to
get more info about c++. Things like where to get it, a summary of its
features, etc. As, several people have asked the question, could someone
post a reply in net.lang.c++? Also, I've heard c++ is availible from
AT&T (AT&T is a trademark of AT&T)

--
John H. Lawitzke                            UUCP     ...ihnp4!msudoc!lawitzke
Dept. of Electronic and Surface Properties

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (06/23/86)

> From allegra!mit-eddie!genrad!decvax!ittatc!dcdwest!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!burdvax!bpa!sjuvax!drexel!msudoc!lawitzke Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
> Subject: C++ info wanted
>
> I realize this has appeared from other people. However, I, too wish to
> get more info about c++. Things like where to get it, a summary of its
> features, etc. As, several people have asked the question, could someone
> post a reply in net.lang.c++? Also, I've heard c++ is availible from
> AT&T (AT&T is a trademark of AT&T)
>
> John H. Lawitzke                            UUCP     ...ihnp4!msudoc!lawitzke
> Dept. of Electronic and Surface Properties
> 260 Engineering Bd.                         Office:  (517) 353-5984
> Michigan State University                   Home:    (517) 332-3610
> E. Lansing, MI, 48824

Apologies to people who has seen most of this before, but it is needed.

The C++ programming language was designed to make the task of programming
more enjoyable for the serious programmer. It consists of a traditional
systems programming language and a set of mechanisms for defining new
data types. In addition to traditional programming techniques it supports
data abstraction and object oriented programming.

C++ has the C programming language as a subset so it can be used
immediately by C programmers. C programs, libraries, and support tools
can also be used. C++ does not impose space or run-time overheads compared
with C. C++ has proven reasonably easy to learn both for C and non-C
programmer. In addition to C, the main influences on C++ was Simula67 and
Algol68.

C++ has been in use for over 4 years (after about 3 years of
preliminary work) and has been applied to most branches of systems
programming including compiler construction, data base management,
graphics, networking, numerical software, programming environments,
robotics, simulation, switching.

In addition a lot of applications programming has been done in C++.

It has a highly portable implementation and there are now in the order of
1500 C++ installations - mainly UNIX systems (Amdahls, AT&T 3Bs, Intel 80286
based systems, Motorola68K based systems, Pyramids, Perqs, VAXes, and others).

C++
    - is a better C
        - argument type checking and type conversion
        - free store operators (new & delete)
        - scoped and typed constants
        - inline functions     (function semantics with macro efficiency)

    - supports data abstraction
        - data hiding
	- member functions     (operations on objects of a class)
        - constructors         (optional guaranteed initialization)
        - destructors          (optional implicit cleanup)
        - operator overloading (+ - * / etc; and also () [] and =)
        - user defined type coercion