[net.sf-lovers] SF on controlling Time

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (06/24/85)

>>From: msp@ukc.UUCP (M.S.Parsons)
>>
>>Along the same lines, does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time
>>(everybody elses), as opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?

One of the oddest premises for a novel I've ever read is Fred Hoyle's
"October the First is Too Late" (possibly "October the Second is Too
Late" -- it's been years since I read it).  Essentially, the premise is
this (spoiler, spoiler, spoiler):
Earth's reality is being transmitted (like a TV transmission) from
somewhere out in space.  A deep space probe sent out by earth gets in
the way of the transmission and scrambles it.  Result: the earth's
reality goes out of synch.  Simultaneously, Greece is in Homeric
times, Mexico is somewhere in the 21st century, Russia is baked
glass (presumably after the sun goes nova), and so on.  Sounds like
a comedy, but it isn't, and I think it suits your request for time
control.

If you want a comedy about time control, there is "Where were you
last Pluterday?" (sorry, can't remember the author).  Pluterday is
the eighth day of the week, but only the rich people have access to
it.  This lets them take the day off, not worry about crowded beaches,
and so on.  A very strange book too, but a lot of fun.

The Pluterday concept is carried one step further in Dayworld, Phillip
Jose Farmer's newest novel (only out in hard cover as far as I know).
The premise is that overpopulation has grown so rampant that the
people of earth have been split into seven parts, each of which are
allowed out only one day of the week.  (The rest of the time they're
in suspended animation.)  Thus there are Tuesday people, Wednesday
people, and so on.  There are also criminals called Daybreakers who
don't go into suspended animation when they're supposed to.  Not
the usual sort of thing you think of for "time control", but still
a controlled time situation.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (06/26/85)

>>Does anybody know any good SF about CONTROLLING time (everybody elses), as
>>opposed to time travel (controlling your local time)?
>A classic along these lines is "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and
>Everything" ... .  There was a movie by the same name that was a
>fairly decent rendition of the book.

The book was a bit better than the movie in describing the theory.  John D.
MacDonald (famous for his Travis McGee mysteries) is also a good "contemporary
SF" writer, using today's world as his settings.  In "The Girl, the Gold Watch,
and Everything" (the book), the magical watch doesn't stop time for all but
the user, but SLOWS it down tremendously (in the user's timeframe).  Thanks
to some basic physics (which I have forgotten most of), the hero Kirby Winter
could only move things very slowly when the watch was ticking, because of the
mass/velocity/time ratios (or something like that).  Of course, the TV movie
couldn't spend 10 minutes watching him move a body, so it is not as scientific.
There was also a sequel to the movie, which stunk (different actors playing the
lead roles-- that's a sequel?).
--

                             Alan Steinberg
                             {ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred..." -- Super Chicken

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/28/85)

In article <15309@watmath.UUCP> jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) writes:

>The Pluterday concept is carried one step further in Dayworld, Phillip
>Jose Farmer's newest novel (only out in hard cover as far as I know).
>The premise is that overpopulation has grown so rampant that the
>people of earth have been split into seven parts, each of which are
>allowed out only one day of the week.  (The rest of the time they're
>in suspended animation.)  Thus there are Tuesday people, Wednesday
>people, and so on.  There are also criminals called Daybreakers who
>don't go into suspended animation when they're supposed to.  Not
>the usual sort of thing you think of for "time control", but still
>a controlled time situation.
>
>				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

This may be a new novel, but I'm sure I read a short story a long
time ago with exactly this situation.  I don't remember much, but
it's a man (say, a Wednesday person) who sees a picture of this
woman who uses the same room on her day (say, Tuesday) and decides
he's madly in love and wants to change days to meet her.  Anyone
remember this?

                                Muffy

apt@inmet.UUCP (07/02/85)

I read a short story in a High School french class about rationing time
during a war (maybe WWII?).  Anyway, people received ration tickets,
the number depending upon how much time they needed to perform their
jobs for the rest of society.  However, rich people would buy ration
tickets from poorer people.  They then discovered that there is an "infinite"
amount of time between two days  (at midnight).  The people who sold their
tickets would just disappear until the next month.  Meanwhile, the rich
people are living right through 'til June 56th, for instance.  It's a
very good, light-hearted story.

			-=:| Alan Taylor |:=-

			      ...harpo!inmet!apt
			      ...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!apt
			      ...yale-comix!ima!inmet!apt

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (07/05/85)

I'm surprised noone has mentioned _Bearing_an_Hourglass_, by
Piers Anthony, the 2nd book of the Incarnations series.
(or is Piers Anthony not to be mentioned in this newsgroup? :-)

	Steven

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)