[net.lang.c++] I think our compiler is far too old ...

cable@vogon.dec.com (Larry Cable, Ultrix Eng Group, REO2-F/M8 x6149) (10/17/86)

	We have just put a a version of C++, (release E Nov 84), having
	tried a few examples (in particluar the vector code in the intro
	of the book circa page 28) .. and guess what ?? ... oh dear it
	doesnt cleanly compile!! ... can anyone confirm my suspicions
	that our compiler is so old that it doesnt actullay support C++
	as defined in the book??

			Regards

			Larry Cable,

			European Ultrix Engineering Group.

	As usual my view etc blah blah  do not represent the views or
	opinions of my employer.

	--- "The flying Scot" ;-}

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (10/24/86)

Subject: I think our compiler is far too old ......
> Larry Cable, Ultrix Eng Group, REO2-F/M8 x6149 @ Digital Equipment Corporation)
>
> 	We have just put a a version of C++, (release E Nov 84)
> ... can anyone confirm my suspicions that our compiler is so old that
> it doesnt actullay support C++ as defined in the book??

Confirmed. The current release is release 1.1 from June '86.
Avoid earlier versions (Release E Nov '84 and release 1.0 Aug '85) if you can.