From: uokvax!emjej (Jim Jones)
Subject: 6809 file manager entry points, BASIC09 bug, and cache

First, a question that I've asked before on net.micro.6809 and gotten no
answer to: could someone describe for me the entry points, inputs, and
outputs for file managers on OS-9/6809?  I presume they're the same as
on the 68000, for which one can get the info from the docs, but I still
need at least to know where they are expected to live on the 6809.

Second--BASIC09, in at least some versions, has a bug, namely that
EXITIF...ENDEXIT doesn't work inside a THEN or an ELSE clause, but
instead transfers control to the ENDIF of the IF immediately in whose
clutches it is.  (This gives one clues as to the functioning of the
virtual machine...)  Can someone with OS-9/68000, or perhaps a more
recent version of BASIC09 (the one I use is edition #21 (decimal)),
tell me whether that's been corrected?

Finally, I'd like to see some discussion of caching under OS-9.  I'm
thinking about writing a caching version of a device driver (there
are arguments either way for putting it in RBF or in the device driver,
but for me the important argument is "do you want to re-create or
disassemble and maneuver all the record-locking and etc. in RBF?" :-),
and I'd appreciate all inputs/references on the subject.

					James Jones

---

From: nyit!bp (Bruce Perens)
Subject: Good book on OS-9

`The Rainbow Guide to OS-9', by Dale Puckett and Peter Dibble, contains
tutorial information for the OS-9 neophyte, as well as information
on OS-9 internals for the more advanced user. It's a worthwhile addition
to any programmers bookshelf. The book is available in Radio Shack
stores (26-3190 $16.95), or from Rainbow (with two disks, $31.00).
I haven't seen the disks available from Rainbow, so I can't comment
on them. Rainbow books and tapes can be ordered through the CoCo SIG
on the Delphi information service, or you can call Rainbow at (502) 228-4492.
My local Radio Shack (not even a computer center) had this in stock.
If you are having trouble following this newsgroup, I'd suggest you
buy a copy.
					Bruce Perens

---

From: utfyzx!rph
Subject: OS-9 for the SuperPET9000

For those who may not have heard, OS-9 is available for the Commodore
SuperPET9000, presently in version 1.1 (microware release 1.2).
The following brief overview of the computer and the OS-9 implementation
is just the opinion of someone (me) who bought it some months ago.

The SuperPET9000 is a 96k 6809/6502 computer with intelligent disk drives.
It is pretty much like standard OS9 except that there is *no* IO space
whatsoever - all IO is done in a pseudo-coprocessor mode with the 6809
running in a different memory map containing 32k ram, 24k rom and the
screen and IO space leaving some 45k free in OS9. It comes supplied with
a 24k ramdisk in that space implemented as /Dram, but I have rewritten
the coprocessor software to run a 24k disk cache instead which makes the
os some 5-20 times faster overall (it takes less than half a second for
printerr to respond with bad path name from when you type an illegal command).

If you own a SuperPET then this is very much worth looking in to.
It is sold by the Toronto Pet Users Group (TPUG). TPUG members get it for
$150CDN or something like that, and it comes with 90% of the source to the
coprocessor software, which in any case was enough for me to be able to
install a disk cacher, graphics package, and make some other mods to make
it run on my CBM4032 upgraded to SPET.   The package comes with three
Microware manuals (System Programmers manual, Users Manual and
Editor/Assembler/Debugger manual). A boot disk with the standard OS9
utilities as well as a terminal program (xcom9) and ratasm and
another disk containing online manuals are included. TPUG members get
partial source; for $50 full coprocessor source. Also included is a
Memory Mapping Unit that makes the dual memory map possible which plugs
into the CPU socket and the system latch register socket. This piece of
hardware is essential for OS9 to work on the SuperPET.
Unfortunately I do not know what kind of deal non-TPUG members get, or
if in fact they get a different deal at all.

---

From: nyit!bp (Bruce Perens)
Subject: New CoCo hardware from Radio Shack

Radio Shack has released its `1986 Radio Shack Software Reference and
Tandy Computer Guide'. Page 80 lists some new CoCo peripherals. I'm
reproducing the exact text here (It's undoubtably copyrighted to
Radio Shack, but I can't find the notice and I'm sure they won't mind!).

	Hard Disk Interface
	$129.95
	Use your Color Computer with Primary Drives.
	Requires 64K, Multi-Pak Interface, floppy disk
	with controller and OS-9 (2.0 or later). 26-3145

Now, what is a `Primary Drive'? One might hope it's a SCSI interface.

	DC Modem Program Pak
	$89.95
	RS-232 interface and 300-baud originate/answer modem.
	Transfer/receive ASCII files or access information
	services by phone. 26-2228

Does anyone know if a driver for the Direct-Connect modem pak(sic) is
included in OS-9 2.0?

					Bruce Perens

---

From: scsnet!sunder (Mark Sunderlin)
Subject: OS-9 Unix Termcaps wanted

Greetings:
  Does anyone have a UN*X termcap for Hogg's O-pak around?
I would like to be able to dial into my UN*X system
and use the full screen editor and such.  I don't have
access to news, so please send responses by mail and/or send them
to the digest CU - Mark  AKA "Dr. Megabyte"
UUCP:	(1) seismo!dolqci!irsdcp!scsnet!sunder		(202) 634-2529
	(2) decvax!philabs!ubbs!sund			    (voice)
CIS:	74026,3235
Mail:	IRS 1111 Constitution Ave. NW  PM:S:D:NO
	Washington, DC 20224  Atten: Mark E. Sunderlin

From: ihwpt!knudsen (Mike Knudsen)
Subject: excerpted article concerning OS-9 and Amiga DOS

This may be of interest to mod.os9 readers...
	mike k

[moderator's note: Mike and I have chopped this to pieces, so send flames
to me, not to Dawn Banks. -bp]

> Newsgroups: net.micro.amiga
> Subject: More unwanted opinions on Amiga DOS
> Date: 20 Jan 86 23:09:09 GMT
>
> From: Dawn Banks <DEC.BANKS@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>

Some comments on Amiga DOS (and related software) prompted by earlier mail
asking for opinions.

First, compared to OS/9 running on a TRS Color, the multitasking on Amiga DOS
is a lose.  Not that it isn't useful, as I probably make more use of the
multitasking than the Amiga folks probably intended me to.  Part of this
problem stems from the fact that our 512K Amiga system is basically a memory
starved machine; a comment I wouldn't have thought I'd be making a few months
ago, coming from a 48K Atari 800 and a 64K CoCo.

The load file format precludes any reasonable possibility of swapping or
shuffling.  Maybe to be more specific, unlike OS/9 running on a 6809, load
files aren't assumed to be position independent code.  This means that once the
Amiga DOS load file has been put into memory, it's pretty well "stapled" down
to where it's been loaded with all the absolute references fixed up to reflect
the location where the module was loaded.  This is not really bad in and of
itself, but it would be nice to swap tasks given ALINK's thirst for memory.

OS/9 gives you "sharable" segments, by which two people using the same segment
are really using the same segment.  Not only does it allow you to save memory
while running multiple copies of something (most notably, the SHELL, of which
there always seem to be at least two invocations), but it also allows you to do
cute things.  The best one is permanently incrementing the use count on the
segment so that it never gets purged from memory.  Then, when you run that
program, it just looks in the task header to see how much impure storage it
wants, allocates the memory, bumps the shared segment's use count, and you're
all set.  Don't have to ding the disk a bit.  Later, if you want the memory
back, you can UNLINK the module, which just decrements the use count, so that
it'll get thrown out when everyone's done with it.  Amiga DOS does this
completely in reverse:  If you want to run something a bunch of times, and
don't want to wait around for the disk read (or can't wait around, 'cause the
disk isn't mounted), you have to copy the task into RAM:, and run it from
there.  This is the most insidious form of memory waste I've seen, in that once
you run it from RAM:, you're carrying around TWO copies in memory, instead of
just one (the one you're running, and the one in RAM:).

No pipes? Where are the pipes?

Why can't I stop a runaway task, and why do you have to go out of your way to
make your program stoppable when you write it rather than the other way around?

Overall, coming from 8 bit computers with <64K available memory and 180K byte
SSDD floppies, I'm pretty surprised at how often I run out of memory and disk
space on our 512K system with 2 880K floppies.

All of which leaves me with a burning desire to either write my own operating
system (which would be loads of fun if I really had the time on my hands) or to
pitch Amiga DOS, and go in search of OS/9 for the Amiga.  The only problem with
both of these solutions is that we're fairly guaranteed that the majority of
canned software coming down the road is going to be written for whatever
Commodore supports, and not OS/9 or homegrown.  Don't get me wrong:  Amiga DOS
is a quantum leap above most of what's running on microcomputers these days.
If I'd never had the opportunity to work with much nicer operating systems on
larger machines, I might not be making these complaints.  But, what really
hurts is that I've seen OS/9 on the ($300) TRS Color Computer, which in most
respects is far and away a superior multitasking system to Amiga DOS.  Only
trouble is, that there's no software written for it (to speak of).

							D. Banks.

---

From: ncoast!mikes
Subject: OS-9 for the PC?

I have most of the Heurikon implementation of XINU. Is there an
OS-9 implementation (HSC IBM PC card, for example)?

---

From: nyit!bp (Bruce Perens)
Subject: moderator's note

When posting to mod.os.os9, PLEASE include your full name, and some
USENET routing information for those who would like to reply to you.
Mail postings and technical questions to nyit!os9 (see routing info at
the end of the digest). Mail source contributions to the same address.
Mail anything else to nyit!os9-request, or to nyit!bp (Bruce Perens)
and nyit!aca (Alex Arthur).

We've been offered the informational services of some VERY high-powered
experts at Microware for answering those real tough questions. If you'd
like to ask "Why'd you do it that way", send your question to
nyit!os9, and we'll route it to the experts.

About a dozen people outside of Microware have also volunteered to
help with such things as BASIC09 and C programming, drivers, etc.
We're willing to take questions of any technical level from novice to
expert.
					Bruce Perens
--
---
516-686-7644 (Bruce Perens or Alex Arthur)

OS-9 and BASIC09 are trademarks of Microware Systems Corporation and Motorola.
mod.os.os9 is a personal (not an NYIT) project.