From: uokvax!emjej (Jim Jones)
To: philabs!nyit!os9
Subject: CoCo OS-9 2.00.00

I received the upgrade to 2.00.00 the other day; the following are items
and changes that caught my eye.

[moderator's note: Radio Shack part number 700-2331, OS-9 Version
02.00.00, $25.00, bring your old OS-9 kit or receipt. -bp]

1. The upgrade includes two diskettes: one with the new OS, and one with
   the old chestnut BOOT program (for early disk controllers) and the
   CONFIG program.  Interesting item: judging by the docs, the BOOT/
   CONFIG disk is a (CoCo) OS-9 disk, because they mention a certain
   directory that lives on it.  This directory, MODULES, has the various
   device drivers and descriptors that are known, so it looks like you
   can indeed set up your own non-RS stuff to be seen by CONFIG (which,
   BTW, is a menu-driven program for generating your own bootable OS-9
   disk).

2. There's a (primitive, to be sure, but better than nothing and suitably
   small) help program.  Haven't seen the innards of the help files, so
   one might be able to put in more extensive stuff--but I don't know
   for sure.

3. 2.00.00 has inherited the OS-9/68000 "iniz" command for attaching
   devices.  (deiniz?  I didn't see it.)

4. tmode/xmode and get/setstat have new knobs to twist.

5. Some utilities look at those knobs to decide how to format their
   output (huzzah).

6. The Section Two toc entry mentions the addition of networking, but
   the real Sect. 2 is mum.  What's up, Tandy?

7. VIRQ, as has been mentioned before.

8. Some of the SCF device drivers know about hangups, and DTR (huzzah!).

Speaking of those added knobs for SCF devices--some of those "reserved
for future expansion" look kinda neat, for example, V.KANJI (kanji are
Chinese ideographs, as referred to by Japanese).  What's V.KBUF and
V.MODAPR?  Your guess is at least as good as mine.

			James "inquiring minds want to know" Jones

To: nyit!os9
Subject: Re: mod.os.os9 digest #1 (Jim O's article)
From: sdcrdcf!blarson (Bob Larson)

>From: lsuc!jimomura Tue Jan 14 14:23:58 1986

>     1.  Termcaps -- Is there any established practice as to where "termcaps"
>         files go in OS-9?  I'm personally leaning towards sticking it in
>         the "SYS" directory.

Os9/68000 put the TERMSET file in /dd/SYS.  This file has some termial
desciption, but has many assumptions that arn't always true and only uses a
subset of the capabilities described in termcap.  I don't know of any
available routines to parse the TERMSET file.  I think as a user community
we should support a file termcap file in SYS.

>     3.  While discussing Modula-2 on BIX, I came up with the idea of
>         creating a common-block handling system for OS-9.  The modules
>         would be a 'cbman' (common block manager) and 'cb' device
>         descriptor.  This would be an optional set of modules used
>         for languages which could support common blocks for data
>         structure sharing between free-standing modules.  Has anyone
>         else considered this?
There seem to be two ways of handling shared memory now.
  1. Linking to a module and using it as shared memory.  Does this work on
    level 2 systems?

  2. Ramdisk.  I don't see that your proposal has much of an advantage over
    it, but I am willing to listen.

>     4.  LANS -- Has anyone done any work regarding LANS yet?

Yes, a japanese company developed a good networking package with microware's
support.  This should be available from microware eventually.  It was
demonstrated at the os9 seminar.  Using this you can access any device on a
remote system, not just disks.  Different network hardware can be handled by
different device drivers and descripters.  (netman is a new file manager.)

>                                            Cheers! -- Jim O.
Bob Larson
ihnp4!sdcrdcf!blarson
Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa

From: utfyzx!rph
Subject: Termcaps on SuperOS9

Since Jim Omura raised the point of termcaps for OS-9, I'll also take
this opportunity to point out that SuperOS9 has a cursory one (pun not
completely intended) for use by a full screen editor. At the moment it
is rather brief, as it consists of only the following:

SP9000:$00$15XY$00:$02:$04:$0C:$06:$03:$12:$13:

and resides in /D0/SYS/termset. The entries mean

COMPUTER:DirectCursor(Col,Row):DeleteLine:DeleteChar:ClearScreen:
   ClearToEndOfLine:InsertLine:RvsOn:RvsOff

though I don't know what the extra $00 in the first entry are. Presumably
they must be flags since the terminal driver never needs padding.
I would have preferred some letter codes, but in any case /D0/SYS
is certainly the place for it, and termset is as good a name as any.

Subject: OS-9 for the QL--Query
Date: 27 Jan 86 16:17:40 CST (Mon)
From: uokvax!emjej (Jim Jones)

Has anyone ported OS-9 to the Sinclair QL?  (I know there's some OS-9 activity
in England, because the folks who did the port to the Emerald Computers SBC
are from there, according to a flyer from Emerald I read a while back.)
That would be a nice low-cost beastie to have running OS-9.

						James Jones

From: nyit!bp (Bruce Perens)
Subject: format of this newsgroup

I am going to try dropping the `digest' format of this newsgroup
for a while. I'll relay individual messages as they come in, instead
of waiting for a clump of four or five to make up a digest. That should
make the group more interactive.
						Bruce P.

Subject: pipes and get/setstat
Date: 27 Jan 86 15:20:51 CST (Mon)
From: uokvax!emjej (Jim Jones)

Does anyone know what get/setstat options are supported for pipes?
I'd like very much for there to be one that tells me whether data
are present, for the following reason:

I want to extend an editor I've been working on, to add some commands
of the sort one sees in ex, i.e. <range>w !command and <range>r !command.
I'd also like to do <range> w | command (! was taken...maybe I should
change that...nah, too many people are used to !) which would write the
range as stdin to a process running the command, delete the lines written,
and replace them with stdout from the command.

Ideally, I should do this without having to stoop to temporary files--that's
what pipes are for, right?  However, the fixed capacity of pipes means I can
get into trouble.  Consider the following:

Some filters are like sort--they have to read all their input before they can
write any output, so any method I use has to be able to write all of the
text out before reading, or it will block forever.

On the other hand, some filters put text out at about the same rate they
take it in.  The pipe leading from the filter might clog if one tried to
write out all the lines being filtered, and after that the pipe to the
filter.  (What was that 10cc song..."deadlock holiday" or something like
that...:-)

The only way I can figure to do the job right is to check the pipe coming
into the editor (not read, which could block--just check for the presence
of data) after each byte written to the pipe leading out of the editor.
SCF devices--at least some of them--support a getstat call that tells
whether there are any bytes waiting to come in.  Do pipes?  If not, why
not?  How easy would it be to modify the driver? the file manager? to
allow such a request if it's not allowed currently?

					James Jones

--
---
516-686-7644 (Bruce Perens or Alex Arthur)

OS-9 and BASIC09 are trademarks of Microware Systems Corporation and Motorola.
mod.os.os9 is a personal (not an NYIT) project.