From: Bob Larson <ihnp4!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!USC-ECLB!BLARSON>
Subject: Fix to os9 kermit server
Date: Mon 3 Nov 86 23:42:40-PST

After seeing a rather vague bug report in the mod.os.os9 usenet newsgroup
about os9 kermit, I did find the bug in the os9srv.c module of os9 kermit:
It did not allocate space for the receive file name to go into.  I have
not tested this fix for the same reason I never tested the host mode originally:
my system is not set up to answer the phone.  The fix is rather straitforward
(two lines of code) and obviously needed, so I am including the fixed os9srv.c
at the end of this message.

The answer to the question of who should get the os9 kermit bug reports is
probably me, being the person who submited the last two versions to the
columbia kermit archives and the latest to the os9 users group.  Reports
sent to info-kermit@cu20b.columbia.edu would probably get to me also.

Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Eclb.arpa  or  Blarson@Usc-Oberon.Arpa
Uucp: sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!blarson

------ cut here for os9srv.c -------
/*
 * os9srv.c server functions for os9 kermit
 */

#include "os9inc.h"

/*
 *      Kermit Host Server Function
 *
 *	11/03/86 ral fix no space alloacated for filnam bug.
 *
 *     File: kermserv.c
 *     04/08/85
 *        3/22  restructure and Directory option
 *        4/08  add test case for rpack return of False
 *        3/12  add I type
 */
servsw()
{
        int     len, num;
        char    rstate;
	char	filnam1[94];

        server = TRUE;
        state = 'W';    /* wait initial command from remote */
        n = 0;          /* Initialize packet counter     */
        numtry = 0;     /* Reset retry count      */

        for (;;) {
                if (debug)
                        printf("Server State: %c\n",state);
                rstate = rpack(&len, &num, packet);
                if (debug)
                        printf("Server Received State: %c\n", rstate);

                switch (rstate) {
                case FALSE:
                        break;          /* Bad packet received.   */
                case 'I':
                        rpar(packet);   /*  Get parameters  */
                        spar(packet);   /*  Return Parameters  */
                        spack('Y', n, 6, packet);
                        numtry = 0;
                        break;

                case 'S':               /*  Receive File   */
                        state = recsw();
                        break;
                case 'R':               /*  Send File       */
                        if(debug)
                                printf("filename len of %d, name %s\n",
                                        len, packet);

			filnam = filnam1;	/* get somewhere to put name! */
                        strcpy(filnam, packet); /* Get file to send	*/
                        oldtry = numtry;        /* Reset counters	*/
                        fp = NULL;
                        filecount = 0;          /* One file at a time	*/
                        rstate = sendsw();      /* Go send file		*/
                        break;                  /* Done with the pass	*/

                case 'G':              		/* Generic Command Processor */
                        state = packet[0];      /* Get generic Command	*/

                        if (debug)
                                printf("Generic state request %c\n", state);

                        switch(state) {
                        case 'F':               /* Finish		*/
                        case 'L':               /* Logout (default Finish) */
                                /* Tell master I quit	*/
                                spack('Y', n, 0, packet);
                                return(TRUE);
                        }
                }
                state = 'W';
        }
}
-------

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!galbp!bryan (Bryan Ivey)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 86 21:01:33 est

Please add my name to the OS-9 Mailing List.

I currently have two OS-9 systems, one CoCo II based, one standard 6809 based.
CoCo currently running two 5 1/4" 96 TPI drives, one 5 1/4" 48 TPI drive, one
3 1/2 96 TPI drive.  Hard drive still up in the air.  Version I, 1.00 and 2.00.
6809 based system is hardware project for Ga. Tech class, purchased from fellow
employee who was not interested in keeping board after class was over.  It is
running two 5 1/4" 96 TPI drives with Wyse 50 monitor.  Both systems are for
home use only.

I noticed in Larson's entry

>	From: Bob Larson <BLARSON@USC-ECLB.ARPA>
>	Subject: Os9 Kermit from Os9 Users Group

that the OS-9 Users Group was willing to sell membership/disks.  Where can I
get a directory of what is on disk 0 (mentioned in article) through 48 (? also
mentioned in article)?  For $105 (membership, all disks), this may not be a bad
location for software tools.

Current projects in varying stages of completion:

	Print program (Date/time/file name/page count stamped, 55 lines per
		page, T-O-F's on control L's, tab expansion to 4 spaces, etc.)

		Complete.

	Specialized program (to print up my Great-grandmother's poems).  Expects
		first line to be less than 40 characters to be enlongated and
		act as the heading.  Subsequent lines are page centered.  Escape
		sequences sent to /P are printer-specific (DP-110, RS).

		Complete.

	Couple of device drivers in design stage only.

Thanks,

Bryan Ivey

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!dsl.cis.upenn.edu!feigin (Adam Feigin)
Subject: Force OS9 port?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 15:36:35 est

Help ! I've been trying for several months to get a copy of os9 for my
Force Computers CPU-2VA. I've called Force, and they have os9 ported for
their CPU-1 and CPU-20/21 series, but they have no plans to port it to
their other systems, so I've been told. This model is perfect for a single
board computer as it contains a 68010 (no harware memory management), serial(68561) and parallel(68230) ports, real time clock and floppy disk controller (WD 1770, the same as in the atari ST line).
Has anyone by chance done a port to this system ?? In general, how easy is it
to port os9 using their "portpak" ?? I'm basically not a programmer, but I do
have experience using 68k assembler and C, and would like to do as little
programming as possible. I cant imagine that a port for this system would be
that different from the atari st, although I cant be sure. Any help is much
appreciated. Thanx in advance.

                                                      Adam Feigin

      Arpanet Adresses          |
  feigin@dsl.cis.upenn.edu      |  c/o Dept. of Bioengineering
  feigin@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   |  University of Pennsylvania
                                |  220 S. 33rd Street, Towne Building
                                |  Philadelphia, PA 19104
                                |     (215) 898-9465

    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"

------------------------------

From: <lsuc!jimomura>
Subject:  Atari OSK Port (cont'd)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 08:39:13 est

Hi John:

     Continuing what I was saying in the first message you received:

     Since the RESET vector is in RAM on the Atari OSK port, I'll
likely write a short utility to change it, probably to Sysgo.  This
will save me a fair bit of disk swapping to get back into OS-9.

     At this time, I only have assembly language to work with under
OS-9 68K.  This wasn't a matter of compilers not being available.
They are, and at a special rate (which I just forgot).  It's just
that I expected to have my 68020 machine before I got the Atari
working.

     The main problem I have right now is that I still don't have
a practical method of getting data from TOS to OS-9.  TLM is working
on a transfer utility (and they may have one by now for all I know).
Neither do a have a terminal package with download capability.  There
*is* a good one from Microware called 'com'.  I'm writing one in
assembly language, (it's already functional just to call out) but
I'm having a problem getting the capture buffer working.  I don't
have much time to program, so I don't expect it to work for a few
weeks.  Hopefully, in time I'll be able to use it to upload to
the Net.

Cheers! -- Jim O.

------------------------------

From: ihwpt!knudsen
Subject:  reply to net.micro.6809 plus
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 86 12:43:23 est

John -- here is some stuff for mod.os9.  First is a reply to a
posting on net.micro.6809, followed by some other items.

> 	Where is OS9 Level 2 for the new CoCo?  I bought my CoCo 3 about a
> month ago and have been patiently awaiting the release of OS9.  My patience,
> however, is running thin.  My primary use for the CoCo is to run OS9.  The
> CoCo 3 won't run OS9 Level 1.  Why is Tandy taking so long?  Microware says
> that they have released the CoCo Level II version a while ago.  If thats true
> then where is Level II? Is it lost?  Does anyone know anything about it?
> 						waiting
> 							Larry Harmon

Well, you're right and wrong.  Most of my Coco work is
done on OS9 (C-language music graphics), and yes I'd
like to have Level II.  Various reliable sources say that
it won't be out till at least December, tho you must have noticed
the series of articles in RAINBOW by a guy who's had it for
many moons.  A Beta pre-release I guess.  Funny he doesn't talk
about all the bugs it must have; maybe that's part of his
non-disclosure deal with Tandy (no :-), I mean it).
Maybe Level II hasn't passed FCC RFI certification (now the ;-) ).

As for running old OS9 on the III -- SOME Coco IIIs can;
we did it at a club meeting (where anything that can fail will).

However, you MUST boot up Version 2.0 first; to run
1.0 or 1.1, you insert your boot disk of that version
and hit RESET.  Unforch, my own Coco III won't boot Version 2,
so guess you and I are in same boot (boat?).   Would love to know why.
Just before the boot starts seeking all over the disk, it
cold-restarts BASIC.  Maybe it's because I'm using a DISTO
controller, tho with RSDOS ROM in it.
Anyway, try booting Version 2 on your III.	--mike k

--------------------------------
A response to James Jones (I think that's who it was)
re editors with multiple buffers -vs- multiple windows
(most recent mod.os9 digest):

Thanks for the respect.  I agree that a multi-tasking OS
with multiple windows (as Coco Level II is said to be)
is a good substitute for the "integrated" business packages
and other applications that otherwise would have to do their own
multi-tasking.

Question is:  As you mention, to simulate multi-buffer Emacs,
you must be able to copy blocks of text from one window to
another.  This sounds like a rather special function for any
window package.  What are the odds that Level II would support such
a feature, assuming that it even occurred to anyone at Microware?
Maybe nonzero; text copying would be useful for business jobs,
like copying pieces of a spreadsheet into a memo.

Wouldn't be hard to use: park the cursor at the right spot in the
destination window text screen, flip to the source window,
position cursor at first line to be copied, mark it with
some function key, move cursor past last line, hit another
function key to do the copy.  Unforch, the text to be copied
must all fit on one screen; Emacs has no such limitation.
But it's lots better than nothing.

------------------
A personal observation on Coco III OS9:  Tandy seems to be
really pushing software developers into OS9 on the III.
I say this because of all the things left out or poorly done
in the BASIC enhancements for this machine's extra memory and
graphics: no multiple graphics pages (hence no page-flipping
animation or smooth updating), very coarse HCIRCLE;
HPUT and HGET restricted to byte boundaries (no ,G);
can't move between text and graphic screens without clearing them,
screwed up aspect ratios in HDRAW, etc. etc.
	However, OS9 supposedly will have most of these features,
plus windows, etc. etc.  So, if you want to do good work, you either
write machine code (after figuring out how the GIME works!)
or use Level II OS9 when it comes.
	--mike k

------------------------------

From: Ralf E. Stranzenbach <ihnp4!unido!exunido!res>
Subject: MicroEMACS 3.7 to OSK
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 10:50:35 +0100

	Greetings to the os9-world.

I've currently ported the MicroEMACS 3.7 to OSK. This MicroEMACS is
based on a PD Termcap and supports [added feature 1] terminals that use
one or more blank chars to switch between reverse or normal display.
One new function is 'insert-time' [M-^T] wich adds  the 'ctime' string
into the text. Ex.: Fri Oct 31 09:42:26 MET 1986

An other small program [I missed it on osk} I wrote is 'cron'. It
works similar like the UN*X 'cron'. It uses the file '/dd/usr/lib/crontab'
to determine which actions should be performed at a given date.

I'm able to post it to BITNET sites and once over UUCP !

If you're interested in this, please contact me.

So long,
	Ralf E. Stranzenbach

	res@exunido
	RES@DDOINF6.BITNET

-------------------------------------
The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM

Submissions should go to   cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM