Date: 5 Apr 87 03:04:44 GMT
From: mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer)
Subject: Re: Shell Variables

In article <1995@cbdkc1.UUCP> jejones@mcrware.uucp writes:
>>From: mcvax!CZHRZU1A.bitnet!K538911
>>2.Environment Variables: How can I set them from within a SHELL
>>                         PROCEDURE File? (Typically a startup file)
>
>Under the OS-9/68000 2.0 shell, your .login file is read and directly
>executed without forking a subshell, so that setenv commands therein
>affect your login shell.  Aside from that, I know of no way to do it,
>there being no equivalent of "export" (for Bourne shell types).

I don't deal OS/9 (at least until there's an Amiga port!), but it
looks like you answered the wrong question, James.

Firstly, "export" pushes shell variables into the environment of the
current shell. What ???? is looking for is a way to push shell
variables into the environment of the running shell from a procedure
file. Not quite the same thing.

I assume that the shell has some command (set ? <VAR>=<VALUE> ?) for
setting variables itself, or for putting things into the environment
(setenv ? export ?). The problem with procedure files is that they are
run in a subshell.

The Unix solution is for the procedure files to output a string to
standard out that does the right things (either setenv, or VAR=VALUE ;
export VAR), and then "eval" that.

Does the OS/9 shell have an eval and either "args" or a backquote
mechanism? That should be sufficient.

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

Date: 6 Apr 87 04:39:25 GMT
------------------------------

From: blarson%castor.usc.edu@usc-oberon.arpa (Bob Larson)
Subject: OSK c-kermit

There are two ports of c-kermit to os9-68k that I know of.

The first was never completed, and by time it was partially working
was based on an outdated (now very outdated) c-kermit.  This was done
by someone in germany, who lost their net acces when they graduated.
I don't have a copy of it.

The other is based on 4d(61), the latest version I think.  It was also
done by someone in europe (sorry I don't remember name/address off
hand) who is sending me it on disk.  I'll verify it works, fix any
bugs I find, and distribute it by the normal means.  (columbia)
Depending on snail-mail speed, how busy I am, etc. it should be
available in a month or six.

--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Eclb.Arpa

Date: 31 Mar 87 14:58:05 GMT
------------------------------

From: rsanders@watdcsu.UUCP
Subject: Re: OS9 CHD command

In article <1987Mar30.153438.8840@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> ac@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Acfield) writes:

>   In the process of trying to debug a problem I am having with my OS9
>level II software (probably due to a bad disk controller) I discovered
>an interesting (mis??)feature of the CHD command.

(Long description of problem ommited)

>Not only does the shell open directories with update for CHD commands but
>it updates the 'last modified' date in the directory's file descriptor.
>In other words, put a disk in a drive, do a CHD to some directory on the
>disk and you just actually wrote on that disk!!!!  This is something of a
>shock since in the past I have occasionally put a master in a drive
>without write protecting it and then used CHD while browsing it.
>I also tried version 1.00.00 and noticed the lack of extra seeking noises
>for protected disks with it so this feature showed up in 1.00.01 or
>2.00.00.

He mentions that the problem (CHD writing) is apparent in OS9 Level I 2.00.00
on the CoCo 1 and 2, and OS9 Level II 2.00.01 on the CoCo 3.

Given that I dont get a writeprotect error on 2.00.00 when CHDing to a
protected disk I assume that if CHD cannot write it traps that error
and does not complain.

The question becomes two fold. First is this description really accurate?
How about it Microware? Does CHD really update the Date on the disk?
I know it has to read to get the pointer to the directory. ( ie the shell
does not just remember the pathname). And second, is this a desirable behaviour?

--
  Roger Sanderson: {clyde|decvax|ihnp4}-\
                             {tektronix}-+--> watmath!watdcsu!rsanders

Date:  6 Apr 1987 1055-CST (Monday)
------------------------------

From: sun!mcrware!jejones (James Jones)
Subject: OS-9 netnews software

In vol. 2, no. 15, Terry Ingoldsby writes:

>In a short while I will be leaving the university which provides me with
>access to the net.  Does anyone know of any OS9 software that can be used
>to access the net?

I'm afraid I don't know of any.  A version of rn was posted to mod.sources
some time back, but I fear it's large (especially for 6809-based systems).
Lauren Weinstein (vortex!lauren) has written a non-AT&T uucp and news
interface for the International BM; some time ago, a friend and I corresponded
with him about an OS-9 port, but his response seemed to indicate that he
convinced himself that the only customers for an OS-9 uucp would be CoCo
owners (so what?), and he didn't think doing a port to OS-9 worthwhile.
I've seen various queries about uucp or a news interface for OS-9, and each
time I do as I'm doing now, i.e. suggest that everybody interested in it send
Lauren mail about the matter.

I vaguely recall that notes is flexible about communications links, so it
might merit looking at alternative interfaces (Kermit?).  Also, evidently
a package called uuslave was recently posted to the net that doesn't do
everything uucp does, but will talk to uucp sites and has some functionality.
(I've not seen it, so I can't say what it does.)

			James Jones

-------------------------------------
The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.  Copies of digests are available by mail request.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM

Submissions should go to   cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM
Comments to the moderator