[mod.os.unix] Windowing software/hardware

usenet@cuae2.UUCP (12/16/86)

Does anyone have any recommendations/ideas about windowing under UNIX?
We want to retro-fit our application packages into a windowed environment
so multiple parts of our applications could be run at once.  We are
interested in both the software needed (e.g. shell & process control or
whatever) and hardware (well suited terminals that fit into one windowing
scheme or another, etc).

BTW, we are on an HP 550 running HP-UX 05.05B (SysV + BSD toys), but we
will be doing this on an HP 840.  From what I have seen so far, the SysV
port should be at least as good or better on the 840.

Please E-mail and I will post summary if enough interest is detected.

Thanx in advance.
|     Mark Steven Jeghers - the living incarnation of "Deep-Thought"         |
|     ("You won't like the answer ... you didn't ask it very well.")         |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
|            ^^^^^^-------recommended------^^^^^                             |
| Cogent Software Solutions can not be held responsible for anything said    |
| by the above person since they have no control over him in the first place |

usenet@cuae2.UUCP (12/22/86)

Here are a couple of responses to the Windowing question.  Again, please
remember to reply to the orignator, not to the moderator!  Thanks.  Ron.

----------

From: <mit-athena!yba@TRILLIAN.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 86 21:09:39 EST

I believe that the X Window System has been ported to HP-UX by HP,
although on what workstation displays I could not say.

----------

Date: 17 Dec 86 19:41:52 CST (Wed)
From: codas!mtune!mtuxo!houxm!ho95e!wcs

One good windowing environment (for graphics as wel as text) is the
AT&T "Blit" environment, with the DMD 5620 terminal and layers multiplexing
software.  The 5620 is a large-screen expensive terminal, but we've just
announced a couple of smaller cheap terminals, the 615 and 620.
You get 6 windows, and a pseudo-tty environment where all the windows can be
active at once.  (Your keyboard belongs to one window at a time, but all the
windows get updated.)  Overlap gets handled automagically.
The 5620 (powered by an AT&T 32100 CPU) and the 620 (Z80? 8086?) are bit-mapped
graphics terminals; the 615 is character-mapped and gives you 3 windows.

# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

(End)