[mod.os.unix] attaching '/dev/tty' to the control group from getty

usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (03/13/87)

[This is the first of several messages that have been in my backlog.
With changing jobs and trying to get net feeds established, I haven't
had time to do mod.os.unix (soon to be renamed something like comp.unix).
My apologies for the long delay.  I will include a "Posted:" header line
to indicate the date the posting originated for the backlog messages.
Ron Heiby, usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (reachable via cbatt, cbosgd, clyde, and gatech)]

I am attempting to write a new getty to run on an IBM RT running
AIX ( SYSV ).  The client for our package wants a friendlier logon
screen based upon curses.  They want two methods of logging on.
If they give a userid/passwd combo then they will enter into our
package. If they enter UNIX for the userid they want to get a
regular unix login.

My problem is that when I exec '/bin/login', login only prompts
for the userid, and always lets the user in without asking for
a passwd.  The best I can tell is that '/dev/tty' is not being
associated with the control group.  The reason that the user is
not prompted for a passwd is that 'getpass' tries to open '/dev/tty'
and when it can't it return's NULL which login is not expecting.

Can any body validate my observations, and hopely tell me how
to attach '/dev/tty' to the control group.
--
						Larry Baird
uucp: {ihnp4!decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!baird		Dept. of Computer Science

usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <230@mcdchg.UUCP>, baird@ucf-cs.UUCP (Larry A. Baird) writes:
> ....  The best I can tell is that '/dev/tty' is not being
> associated with the control group.  The reason that the user is
> not prompted for a passwd is that 'getpass' tries to open '/dev/tty'
> and when it can't it return's NULL which login is not expecting.

Golly, and I seem to remember hearing that AIX passed SVID validation or
whatever procedure it is that ATT is using.  If so, I'm surprised that
something like this snuck through or is considered acceptable.  If this
behavior is allowed in P1003, might I request that it be entered in the
"Weirdnix" contest, or is it too late?
--
                              ...!decvax!decuac -
Phil Kos                                          \